Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2012, 09:31 PM

12 posts, read 16,610 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I am thinking of hiking this sat. However, I have no idea about hiking trails here.

I would like to hike for 3 hours. I currently live near UCSD. Taking these into consideration, do you have any recommendation?

sorry, I am new in San Diego.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2012, 11:42 PM

4,531 posts, read 12,368,386 times
The quickest location for you to reach would be Torrey Pines State Reserve just north of UCSD.

http://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=657

It is located along the bluffs overlooking the ocean. I don't think there are 3 hours worth of trails there, however, you could expand your hike by walking up the beach to Torrey Pines and then walking up the hill to the preserve where the entrances to the trails are. Trails with ocean views are a pretty good combination. And depending on your starting point near UCSD, you might never need get into a car to do it.

Old 02-01-2012, 12:04 AM

7,363 posts, read 12,614,085 times
Jerry Schad wrote a great little guide to hiking in San Diego County:

Amazon.com: Afoot & Afield in San Diego County (9780899972299): Jerry Schad: Books

He passed away recently, but his legacy lives on. You'll have great walks and hikes ahead of you if you pick up a copy of his book.

Old 02-01-2012, 09:20 AM

3,545 posts, read 6,018,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Fork Fantast View Post
Jerry Schad wrote a great little guide to hiking in San Diego County:

Amazon.com: Afoot & Afield in San Diego County (9780899972299): Jerry Schad: Books

He passed away recently, but his legacy lives on. You'll have great walks and hikes ahead of you if you pick up a copy of his book.
I've had a copy of his book on my bookshelf for as long as I can remember. Good stuff, right there. I still need to pick up the most recent edition, I think mine is like 8 years old

Old 02-01-2012, 12:37 PM

1,300 posts, read 2,019,720 times
Yes, "Afoot and Afield" is a must have for anybody here in SD.

I am just a casual hiker and don't get out as much as I used to, but I have always found the next three hikes to be about three hours or so:

1. Cowles Mountain. There is a parking lot at the corner of Golfcrest and Navajo and entrance to the trailhead there. You will see lots of cars parked on Golfcrest as well for overflow parking. This is one of San Diego's best "total" view hikes. It is safe and a very well established trail. Lots of people almost anytime of the day so doing it solo is no problem. I used to fly up the thing when I was younger, but now it takes my about an hour up and 45 minutes down. I usually take about a half hour "break" at the top and enjoy the view. It's a challenge but definitely do-able. Don't stop half-way you must make it to the top.

2. Mt Woodson. The trailhead is at the base of the mountain in Poway Lake park. Take Espola road to get there. This is a longer hike and probably closer to 4 hours, up and down. Again get to the top, great views of SD and into the Cuyamacas. Stay on the trail as there are many false trails. I would take a buddy on this one although I have hiked it alone. Mountain Lions-I have never seen one on this trail, but I have talked to people that have. The wife and I were walking up one morning and people were coming back down saying a cougar was on the trail. I never saw it but enough people had the same story to make it believable. We stopped and ate and waited some time to keep going up. I never saw him nor did I see any sign, but just a heads up...they are out there.

3. Pt Loma lighthouse. The trail is on the park grounds so it is very safe and probaly the safest place to leave your car. You have to pay to get in. It used to be just a few dollars not sure what it is now but it can't be too much. The trail starts at near the top of lighthouse and winds its way down to the bottom kind of where San Diego Bay opens up to the Pacific Ocean. This hike has amazing views-beware of fog though. I have walked it before and not seen much. The fog can roll in quickly. But if its clear, you will see everything from a very unique point in San Diego.

A word to the wise: Lock your car and don't leave any valuables in it or visible. I am not saying any of these trails are in dangerous areas and would argue most are in nice if not affluent areas. But there are criminals that take advantage of the fact that you will be leaving your car alone for several hours. Be careful and you will be fine.

Old 02-01-2012, 02:36 PM

1,446 posts, read 2,736,870 times
Those are good choices.

Mission Trails is a casual hike and not far.

In addition to Mt. Woodson you could try Iron Mountain, which is across from it. There is a place to park on SR 67.

Old 02-01-2012, 03:17 PM

6,885 posts, read 8,893,963 times
Which is better if only one pick - Mt. Woodson or Iron Mt, and why ?

Old 02-01-2012, 04:09 PM

6,418 posts, read 11,569,943 times
Mt. Woodson is a steep climb up a paved service road. It's more spacious.

The trail up Iron Mt. was a steep, narrow dirt trail when I was on it several years ago - it may have changed since. If you hike on a weekend, it may feel very crowded. (BTW, the one time I hiked up Cowles mountain, that trail also felt very crowded.)

There may be mountain bikers on the Iron Mountain trail. I've never seen them on the Mt. Woodson trail, but I don't think there's any ban on them.

Old 02-01-2012, 04:58 PM

1,446 posts, read 2,736,870 times
Mt Woodson is a very challenging mountain bike route (from west). I've seen a mountain biker up there maybe twice.

If you go up Mt. Woodson, you may enjoy the trail up the west side more. There is a trail head at Lake Poway. There is a 2000 foot elevation change. The paved way is off SR 67, on the east slope.

I prefer the summit of Iron Mountain.

[Note that Lake Poway often charges for parking for non-residents. Not sure if it is year round, certainly in the Summer.]

Laguna Mountain is another nice hike and has excellent mountain biking trails. It is more of a drive.

Old 02-01-2012, 05:30 PM

3,545 posts, read 6,018,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oddstray View Post
Mt. Woodson is a steep climb up a paved service road. It's more spacious.

The trail up Iron Mt. was a steep, narrow dirt trail when I was on it several years ago - it may have changed since. If you hike on a weekend, it may feel very crowded. (BTW, the one time I hiked up Cowles mountain, that trail also felt very crowded.)

There may be mountain bikers on the Iron Mountain trail. I've never seen them on the Mt. Woodson trail, but I don't think there's any ban on them.
You can get around the crowds on Cowles by hiking up from the back side, starting at the Barker Way trailhead and making a left onto the trail about 1/4 mile in at the sign (otherwise you go up the service road, which isn't really pretty or fun). You connect with the main trail about 1/4 mile from the top, so you still have to deal with some crowds, but going the back way makes it much more pleasant. You'll probably see like 5 other people on the way up. The trail is also in much better shape, not nearly as eroded as the main trail.

Iron Mountain is almost as crowded as Cowles, especially on summer evenings and on the weekends. It's not so bad if you can go on a weekday morning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego