Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2012, 11:02 PM

157 posts, read 484,345 times

Advertisements

i dont wanna live in apt forever but for now i gotta to deal with it. if you're broke it'll take awhile to get things going. but in the meantime it's not far fetched to have an ok life.

if you can find an apt like i mentioned, it's not that bad. my utilities are paid for (water trash sewer). i wouldnt get an apt w/o those utilities (unless the combined rent + util price would be under 1000)

if you do consider apts, you should give this site a try. i used this and clist mostly www.padmapper.com . i can give you more info like safe places, what to stay away from, etc but i dunno if you'd be interested. im not informed on townhouses or house rentals, only apts.

definitely wait for other posters to get on this

Last edited by sandiegoguy22; 02-05-2012 at 11:13 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2012, 11:24 PM

1 posts, read 2,704 times
I don’t want to be a dream crusher but in your situation San Diego might not be the place for you. The weather is great, the beaches are beautiful but it is pretty costly to live here. I am also a single mother and I know that is very demanding, hopefully you are receiving child support to assist with the children’s needs. I would defiantly stay away from Southeast San Diego. The rent may be more reasonable but the schools are not that great and there is a lot of crime. I wish you the best of luck. Maybe you can find an apartment in Clairemont or Lemon Grove but sorry I don’t think will you be able to find a decent 2 bedroom for under $1000 anywhere. Maybe in El Cajon but I’m not too familiar I just know it gets really hot.

Old 02-05-2012, 11:40 PM

157 posts, read 484,345 times
i agree wih teresa. you should also explore other options within reasonable driving distance. san diego is like heaven but it comes with a steep price. i myself have changed my plans on living here and decided to move in 3-5 years if i can't make any significant moves. getting a minimum wage job here is like going through a colossal hot steaming pile of bullsh*t

Old 02-06-2012, 12:32 AM

15,129 posts, read 32,326,222 times
What type of income do you have coming in, and how much is it per month? You'll have a problem finding a place that accepts your pets, unless you live in a not so nice neighborhood. If you plan to get government assistance and live here, you'll be in for a surprise. Be prepared to spend an entire day (and more) at an HHSA office explaining your situation. Don't count on renting a house, even in a bad neighborhood, because it's going to be more than you can afford. I lived in Tucson for 1 1/2 years, and I know how low the rents are in AZ, but they're higher here.

Old 02-06-2012, 09:20 AM

2,299 posts, read 4,826,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brilyn View Post
How do I survive in San Diego ?
I live in the Phoenix area and I have to leave Arizona. I can't stand one more minute here. My list would be too long to describe why I hate this place so much, so I won't bother with it. Staying here is not an option, so I will move on.
I am pretty determined to live over in the San Diego area. Mostly because it is close to me, better weather, and more to offer.
My situation is I am a single mom with 2 girls. ( and a 22 year old son that acts like he's 7 again) I am not wealthy. I am living on a pretty low income. I have health issues that prevent me from working outside the home. I hate to admit that I have to have government assistance, but I have no choice.
I have lived many places in my past. I know it is hard to move and start all over again. Especially with kids. I will be doing this with very little money and no real direction as to what part of the San Diego area to move to. If course I am looking for a safe, nice area for us to live in.
I dread the thought of renting, but it is what we will have to do.
My credit is in the toilet after being so house poor here in AZ that I couldn't pay a lot of my bills. And due to past problems.
I am terrified as to how I am going to survive in San Diego.
I don't know where to go. I don't know about the certain areas to stay away from. Where I should stay that is inexpensive and safe while we look for a place to live. A good storage facility to store our belongings until we find a home.
I am kind of lost.
People and realtors that I have spoke to in CA seem hesitant to help me out. There are a lot of scams on Craigslist for rentals. A lot of scams in CA. It's hard to trust people. I guess being in the lower income bracket scares people off. I know I am not alone in this situation. There are people in San Diego that can't afford those super high rentals that are out there. Are they living on the street?
I feel so all alone. That is why I am putting myself out there in this post.
If anyone can point me in a direction that I can go in. I would be forever grateful.
I have a vehicle that is old and can't afford an new one. So, I just keep getting it fixed. I don't know if I would call it reliable, but I have to depend on it.
I have always been a strong independent lady. I can fix almost anything. I am very creative. And brave when I have to be. I don't like hand outs. Only when I am forced to.
I have considered buying a cheap RV and camping my way around the area until I find a place to live. But, I would be risking a lot. Not to mention the start up money for a decent RV. I don't know if I could maintain it. But, it would sure give me the freedom that I love.
I love living in houses. I have three tiny dogs and 2 cats which will be a problem. I can't get rid of them because they are my children's animals that they have become attached to . I can't see them suffer any more loss in there life. They are losing another home, they have lost their father, they have lost friends. It's too much to bare.
I am trying to find my way through the low income, children, pets, depression,my back problems, being 48 years old, being female, losing our home, starting over again at an older age, etc. The guilt of ( am I making the right decision) It is stifling me.
I have to get it together and move in the next few month's.
I have no choice. I like San Diego. The better weather I crave. I would consider Northern Ca, but I have never been there and it is too far for us to move to.
I am kind of stuck.
If anyone has any suggestions for me, please post them.
I am trying to find my way through this all alone with my kids.
I want to make the most educated decision that I can possibly make under these circumstances.
Moving to AZ is one of the biggest mistakes in my life. I have to move on and make a better life for me and my girls.
Sincerely, C
Well Sis, I really worry about your decision to try and move to San Diego with two younger children and possibly a financially draining adult child in tow. If housing cost is too expensive for you in Arizona, I can assure you it won't be better in California.

Where are you originally from? Do you have any other friends or family that can assist you?

I love California, it's my home state and I'm always supportive of folks who have realistic plans to move to the state, but I'm seriously skeptical of your ability to be successful in this endeavor at this time.

Have you researched other, lower cost states? Could you not find a less expensive home in Arizona that will allow your financial situation to improve to a point where you can move away. Quite frankly, based on what you've written, it is going to be very difficult and crushingly demoralizing to move without some sort of support either via family or friends and without income or savings - Whew, girl its just plain improbable.

Is there some sort Church or spiritual group that can at least give you the moral support it appears you need right now? It may seem as though what ever your situation in Arizona is now is just too much, but do you really want to put your children through this upheaval and possible an even more precarious home life situation.

You really need to do some real introspective analysis of what is best for all of you. Good luck in whatever you decide, I'll pray for you (whether you want it or not)

Old 02-06-2012, 09:37 AM

7 posts, read 17,879 times
San Diego is way too expensive to move to without having a job lined up substantial savings. It is beautiful the landscaping and beaches the weather is great but it all comes at a cost. I am more than lucky and blessed to have a decent job but I know a lot of people who were laid off within the last 3 years and have yet to find employment. Also, sad to say but true there are a lot of people who are homeless here and living on the street, sleeping on the beach, under bridges on the sidewalks downtown and tents in the parks, you can’t do that especially with children.

Old 02-06-2012, 09:54 AM

4,498 posts, read 9,384,106 times
I don't think things would end up well for you in San Diego based on what you described.

Also, I understand your children have a love for the pets but should someone on government assistance really have 5 pet animals? It seems silly to me that you sound like you're really struggling with your family life yet you have 3 dogs and 2 cats which all cost money to feed and properly care for.

I think you're really in need of prioritizing things in your life. I'd totally forget about things like beautiful scenery, weather, etc. and focus on being in a city where the economy is strong and there are more jobs and the cost of living is lower, housing costs are affordable, etc. A city like San Diego in your situation totally is not appropriate.

Old 02-06-2012, 09:57 AM

4,498 posts, read 9,384,106 times
I posted this in your other thread but I'll post here as well.

I don't think things would end up well for you in San Diego based on what you described.

Also, I understand your children have a love for the pets but should someone on government assistance really have 5 pet animals? It seems silly to me that you sound like you're really struggling with your family life yet you have 3 dogs and 2 cats which all cost money to feed and properly care for.

I think you're really in need of prioritizing things in your life. I'd totally forget about things like beautiful scenery, weather, etc. and focus on being in a city where the economy is strong and there are more jobs and the cost of living is lower, housing costs are affordable, etc. A city like San Diego in your situation totally is not appropriate.

Old 02-06-2012, 11:47 AM

1,322 posts, read 4,238,048 times
perhaps your 22 yr old son should also be looking for work. no reason he shouldnt help out if he will live with you.

Old 02-06-2012, 12:02 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,849,708 times
I really don't want to sound harsh but I also think, IMHO, that your priorities are somewhat out of whack and you will need to take "your emotions" out of this and deal with the hard reality of your situation. I know when it gets bad that the emotional reaction is to "run" but I don't think that's going to solve your problems, in fact SD will be much more difficult to survive in...if you are house poor in AZ, it will be way worse here. As others have said, forget about the weather, scenery, etc. (that's a luxury) and focus on what's best for your children...and, if it was me, I'd tell the 22 year old son, if he can't help with finances, then he has to go out on his own because you can't support him. I'm a pet lover but I have to agree that it sounds like you can't afford all those animals...maybe keep one. All your money should be going toward housing and feeding your family, paying bills, etc. and the children need to understand that. As bad as your situation is, animals are for people who can afford them. You are going to have to make the hard choices here. I don't even see how you would qualify for a rental here, and Section 8 housing has a waiting list years long.

You are relatively young yet and can certainly turn your life around, and I pray that you do. If you are bound and determined to move, then I would suggest Texas or Florida. California is broke.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego