Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-07-2012, 08:32 PM

6 posts, read 13,007 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I appreciate the advice on my last "area lookup". I didn't get that condo unfortunately.

I'd like some info on Hatfield in San Marcos. It's just off south twin oaks valley. Is this a decent area/safe for kids, crime, etc?

Sure is difficult trying to relocate from across the country, I really appreciate everyone here willing to give advice. Helps more than I can express.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2012, 08:40 PM

The specific place we are looking at is Corte Bella Community.

Thanks!

Last edited by Zaose; 02-07-2012 at 09:04 PM..

Old 02-07-2012, 09:06 PM

788 posts, read 1,877,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaose View Post
Hi all,

I appreciate the advice on my last "area lookup". I didn't get that condo unfortunately.

I'd like some info on Hatfield in San Marcos. It's just off south twin oaks valley. Is this a decent area/safe for kids, crime, etc?

Sure is difficult trying to relocate from across the country, I really appreciate everyone here willing to give advice. Helps more than I can express.

The complex itself is pretty cramped, but the area is probably my favorite part of San Marcos. In my opinion, the pros completely outweigh the cons for this development.

Pros-
1. Good schools. Discovery Elementary won the CA distinguished school award in 2010, Woodland Park Middle won the award in 2009, and Mission Hills High won the award in 2011. This is not an easy award to win and they all test within the top 20% of schools in the state. IMHO, these are some of the best schools in North San Diego County. These schools also have a lot of parent involvement too. Discovery just won $50,000 from a national competition (through Clorox) based on tremendous outreach efforts and support from the community to vote. I'm not sure if your kids would end up going to these schools because they are planning a k-8 school across the street due to increasing enrollment. San Marcos has a ridiculous amount of families with schoolchildren and the district is constantly having to revise each neighborhood's attrition rate (average number of school-aged kids per household). The area you are looking at has an especially high one.
2. The area has a lot of open space, parks, and trails. They are building a new 54 acre park across the street, which will feature trails and water activities (there's a lake). This part of SM has the most trails and it is enjoyable to walk all the way to the top of Double Peak, which has views of San Diego County from the top.
3. The community is definitely safe. Nearby Cal State San Marcos is actually the safest california state university! However, it's always a good idea to lock your doors, not leave valuables in the car, etc. Common sense really. There's always going to be random occurrences. The actor from 40 Year Old Virgin stabbed his girlfriend, who lived around there. pretty random... I actually looked up the crime data for the past 3-4 months, and there wasn't a single occurrence in that neighborhood. I was actually really surprised...because there's always going to be at least one person breaking the law, whether it be traffic citation or vehicle theft. It looks like you chose a safe area!

Cons-
1. college area= more noise. The city has a commission for student-resident relations, so they try to address most of the problems. There are also strict ordinances on student housing in the surrounding communities.
2. The complex itself is pretty cramped. The pool area is nice, however.

Useful Links:
San Marcos Unified School District - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

San Diego Regional Crime MAPS (http://mapping.arjis.org/CrimeMAPS/main.aspx - broken link)

http://www.ci.san-marcos.ca.us/Modul...ocumentid=1472

http://www.nctimes.com/news/local/sa...794b2196d.html

http://www.nctimes.com/news/local/sa...91834e1ae.html

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask!

Last edited by sdhkshdcny09; 02-07-2012 at 09:21 PM..

Old 02-07-2012, 11:32 PM

Wow Rhanifin, that was an epic post! Thanks so much. If I come up with any questions I will ask, but you pretty much obliterated any questions I had.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego