Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2012, 04:44 PM

239 posts, read 509,546 times

Advertisements

Hi there. I'm originally from Long Island but spent the last 6 years in Albany, NY for school. I'm finishing up school next year with a master's degree in environmental/public health and regional planning. Right now I'm aching to get out of Albany and NY in general. Upstate NY does have beautiful landscape but the weather is terrible. Not only does it get extremely cold in the winter (usually around 10s and 20s, although this winter has been mild) but it's very dismal and averages about 60-70 full sunny days per year. It makes me depressed after awhile. I need the sun back!

As I said I'm primarily moving because I can't take NY weather anymore. Also, the economy is very bleak in upstate NY and people have been leaving the region for decades because of this. I know people claim San Diego's economy isn't that great either but it seems like it is still better than upstate NY. I want the amenities of a bigger city than Albany, but nothing too hectic or crazy like NYC since I like a little more laid back lifestyle. That is why I was thinking San Diego would be a possibility for the next place I move to. I know the COL is very high, but as long as I'm young and single I'm willing to pay the premium. I enjoy outdoor activities such as hiking, biking, and jet skiing which is another reason why I'm interested in San Diego.

Of course I would never move here without a job lined up. My other choices to live are Orlando and Denver. But I want to hear how San Diego is for young people. Is it mostly young people or is it more of a family oriented city? Is the economy really that bad? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2012, 05:05 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,852,840 times
SD is a very large city (SD County) and has all kinds of people...young, old, single, married, families, diversity, surfers, cowboys, military, etc etc so there is pretty much something for everybody here. I wouldn't say it was geared toward any one demographic, although of course like everywhere, families are the dominant group. But there are plenty of 20-somethings here with lots to do. The economy here is much more diverse and better than Upstate/Western NY. If you get a job and can afford it, it would be a great place for you. You've gotten your degree, suffered thru 6 years in Albany (I know...I'm originally from Rochester), so, hey, why not!

Old 02-09-2012, 08:03 PM

4,541 posts, read 12,409,026 times
If you can get the job, then you and San Diego sound like a good fit. Plenty of sun. The area skews a little bit towards the 20s age bracket because of the military and a fair number of universities. It's great for an outdoor lifestyle. Other than housing and gasoline, San Diego's cost of living is about average for the country.

But as for the job, they are just as scarce here as anywhere else. And unfortunately, your degree is geared towards public employment and they aren't hiring, but you might get lucky. If there was still large scale tract development you might have been able to get a job with a developer, but building is still slack as well. In the end if you can get the job out here, really any job, then you could make the move.

But you know in 5 to 10 years, you might actually begin to miss the change of seasons. I suppose a few vacations back home might solve that problem.

Old 02-11-2012, 09:14 AM

1,471 posts, read 3,340,636 times
also keep in mind regional/city planning type jobs tend to go to people who got their degrees locally. They have the connections, plus likely studied the areas issues extensively. I am not saying it would be impossible, but it is just an observation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
View detailed profiles of: