Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2012, 11:20 AM

1 posts, read 2,552 times

Advertisements

Our family is planning to move from Denver to Carlsbad in the near future. We have a place to rent ( a family members house) so that is not a problem. We have twin girls age 6.5. Our two biggest concerns are school and work. The two schools that our girls could attend are Aviara Oaks and Pacific Rim. Can anyone give us specific info. and opinions on these two schools? Our girls have very different educational needs. One is a motivated learner and very creative. The other is sweet, charming and has some learning differences that have been recently identified. We want a school that can adequately meet both their needs. Someone please shed some light on how the budget cuts have affected students. 30 kids in a class seems crazy since the Denver school we are in has about 22. Yet I also keep hearing how great the schools are in this area.
My husband is in advertising and marketing. What is the market like in SoCal? Is there room for expansion in this area of business? I'm currently a stay at home mom.
The weather would be a major + for us. We are sick of the cold and living indoors 6 months out of the year. We are ready for pleasant weather and the ocean!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2012, 12:17 PM

20 posts, read 43,907 times
Hi there, I would like to suggest you try Coastal Academy in Oceanside. It is a charter school and wonderful place. I have three kids, one in 5th, one in 4th and one in 1st. They love going to school. It is a combination home school/go to school, and there are quite a few families that make the drive from Carlsbad. Check out the site, they are part of The Classical Academies of Escondido. Lori Perez is the Principle there and can give you more info. I work at a campus in Vista and we may be closer to where your moving in Carlsbad then Coastal. Start here The Classical Academy and the folow the link to Coastal and the Learning Center. I hope that helps, oh and the class room size is 20. No more, and sometimes less.

Reviews from parents that have their kids at Coastal.

Coastal Academy - Oceanside, California - CA - School overview

Old 02-16-2012, 01:17 PM

2,145 posts, read 5,070,238 times
La Costa Canyon area of Carlsbad is generally regarded as one of the best districts in SD county.
Also, look at greatschools dot net for reviews on the specific schools you mentioned.

Other districts that are highly regarded in SD county are: carmel valley and poway. My child is currently attending carmel valley schools, after a few years of homeschooling, and we are very pleased thus far. Also, family members have children who graduated from CV schools with great results. My child's current class size is 27, 5th grade.

Anyway, since you are doing carlsbad, la costa canyon is considered on par-

Also, for lower cost of living, but well regarded schools, you could check Temecula. From your post, it sounds like your husband might be self-employed? If so, then a location a little further out would not be an issue, perhaps?

Old 02-18-2012, 09:43 AM

111 posts, read 328,062 times
Carlsbad school district (along with the city/housing) is one of the best in North County.

Old 03-01-2012, 04:53 PM

8 posts, read 21,692 times
Hello, We live close to these schools and have done a significant amount of research as our kids will be starting school next year. Pacific Rim is one of best schools in SD County, and it shows in the API scores. However, in addition to the scores, the principal is an exceptional leader and does a great job of motivating the teachers and the kids to do their best. We met with him, and were very impressed. However, the ratio of teacher:student is up to 1:30, which I agree is high. Aviara Oaks is also fine school, but a notch down in performance, and same ratio.
You may want to consider El Camino Creek, which is in Carlsbad, but in Encinitas School District. B.c of different funding mechanisms, ECC and Encinitas schools have a lower ratio (1:23) for grades 1-3.
Of the schools in this area, Pac Rim and El Camino Creek are two of the best.

Old 03-02-2012, 02:22 PM

788 posts, read 1,876,910 times
You may want to reconsider Carlsbad Unified at the moment considering they are completely broke and had to send out 100+ layoff notices. Encinitas is better off at the moment.

Old 03-04-2012, 08:19 PM

2,145 posts, read 5,070,238 times
You could see about open enrollment within the carlsbad district; I don't know if the district gives this option....but you could then pick a non neighborhood school. Since you already have housing lined up, that's probably the best choice, in addition to the charter school/homeschool options mentioned previously. Best of luck to you!

Old 03-05-2012, 09:34 AM

6,420 posts, read 11,593,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhanifin View Post
You may want to reconsider Carlsbad Unified at the moment considering they are completely broke and had to send out 100+ layoff notices. Encinitas is better off at the moment.
Don't all the school districts send a bunch of layoff notices at this time of year (since they're required to notify far earlier then they know their real budget) and then rescind most of them?

Old 03-05-2012, 09:55 AM

15,129 posts, read 32,318,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oddstray View Post
Don't all the school districts send a bunch of layoff notices at this time of year (since they're required to notify far earlier then they know their real budget) and then rescind most of them?
This is correct. Every year school district employees live in fear that they're going to lose their job. I'm glad that I'm out of the school system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego