Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2016, 03:15 PM

21,728 posts, read 16,334,063 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert2 View Post
it's certainly not for some specific crime or a traffic incident. It is just because they want to fly around. So annoying.
Lol. Uh, no. As former (North Island) air crew, it IS fun to fly. But they're following operational protocol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2016, 02:18 AM

4 posts, read 4,441 times
I didn't read all 4 pages of this post so im not sure if anyone mentioned this but: my father lives in Oceanside off of mission rd near the tiny airport. He lives directly under the flight path for tsunami sky diving company. Their plane is so rickety and loud and I kid you not they fly above my dads house over and over again..all.day.long.
It drives my poor dad crazy. I feel so bad for him because their planes really are super loud and it's hard to ignore them. I tried googling to see if anyone else in the area has complained but I didn't find much. It's so bad that I was thinking of gathering signatures and taking them to city hall. He can't be the only one that finds this annoying AF. Maybe I will make a post here in the next few days.

Any hoo, my point is that we feel you pain.

Old 08-21-2016, 09:32 PM

1,639 posts, read 2,201,692 times
I swear people are never happy. You think the copters are just up in the air for ha-hahs? Do you really think that? It cost money to put that thing in the air. You think the copters are up there cause..what did one brain surgeon say...because they are BORED??

Before you bi---ch , why don't you go searching for the people that can give you a detailed reason for it. I'm sure there is one, other than they are bored, inconsiderate, and have nothing better to do than fly low enough to peek in your windows and see you in your bloomers.

People with more information and knowledge of what's needed in the city than you people have come to the conclusion that for what they need the copters for, its better if they remain airborne. But I love the internet scholars who think they know better.

Old 08-23-2016, 11:05 AM

4 posts, read 4,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SummerFall View Post
I swear people are never happy. You think the copters are just up in the air for ha-hahs? Do you really think that? It cost money to put that thing in the air. You think the copters are up there cause..what did one brain surgeon say...because they are BORED??

Before you bi---ch , why don't you go searching for the people that can give you a detailed reason for it. I'm sure there is one, other than they are bored, inconsiderate, and have nothing better to do than fly low enough to peek in your windows and see you in your bloomers.

People with more information and knowledge of what's needed in the city than you people have come to the conclusion that for what they need the copters for, its better if they remain airborne. But I love the internet scholars who think they know better.
they are unnecessary.
police could care less about the cost because its taxpayer money-not their's. Now that they have been approved their goal is to use them as much as possible to justify and demand more money for their next budget.
Watch them. they fly in circles for hours doing nothing. all it does is annoy residents. We arent the Watts district. We dont need 4 copters constantly flying overhead.

I have to laugh at the people in charge came to the conclusion comment. Thats bs. someone got paid off and it was approved.
Why do the police find it so necessary to fly around. get them on the street where they belong. Not only is it cheaper its less annoying.

again. Watch the copters (University Heights is a good area to see them). they fly in circles doing absolutely nothing but burning money to keep them up there.

Old 08-24-2016, 11:31 AM

44 posts, read 79,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
I get this all the time in the Marina section of downtown--very annoying, particularly when they circle over my condo for 20 minutes at a time and at 2AM.

My debate is rather than relying upon helicopter use--which occurs AFTER a crime has been committed--why not rely upon a greater patrol car presence which acts as a deterrent BEFORE a crime has been committed. I can make an exception for rare cases where a prisoner has escaped from jail and they utilize the infrared, or whatever, technology within helicopters to actually track body heat; however, in the case of a Gaslamp bar fight or a reported prowler in Little Italy is police dependence upon helicopters truly necessary?....not sure what the cost/benefit analysis is for street presence v. helicopter cost, but I'm sure that factors into their equation as well.....I have called the FAA and was told sometimes the Police will use helicopters as part of a regular patrol, even when there is no crime in process--again, I have to question why this could not be done with a greater (and quieter) police street presence.....as far as media helicopters, I have seen a noticeable decline in their use over the years baring some type of infrequent, newsworthy event.
You might be surprised at the benefits of having a helicopter patrolling along with ground units. When a violent crime occurs or just a general call for service, a helicopter can be on scene in literally seconds and give information to the responding officers that the person calling 911 may not be able to. In addition, they will often patrol high crime areas observing for property crimes late at night. It's easier to spot a suspicious person breaking into a house from hundreds of feet in the air than from a police car with limited view of the street they're on.

The benefit of having helicopters on patrol is unparalleled to anything else and has made police departments more effective all over the country.

Old 08-24-2016, 02:48 PM

7,409 posts, read 6,542,189 times
Yet I have never experienced so many helicopter flyovers in other cities, as I have in SD, nor have I had such difficult time getting hold of a live dispatcher vs a recording. I live in the Marina District of downtown, which is hardly a high crime area. If something serious, such as an infrequent prison escape, occurs or if someone flies a plane into a building I am 100% for helicopter support...for a prowler 1/4-1/2 mile from where I live I am not...and I am definitely in favor of quieter helicopters, if technologically possible.

Last edited by elchevere; 08-24-2016 at 03:05 PM..

Old 08-27-2016, 02:21 PM

11 posts, read 11,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBCkid1994 View Post
The benefit of having helicopters on patrol is unparalleled to anything else and has made police departments more effective all over the country.
While helicopters can be useful in some situations, I would hardly call their benefits “unparalleled”. They are an expensive form of assistance for police ground units. They provide some benefits but are also expensive, noisy, and not necessarily the best use of police resources. The questions we should be asking are; do police helicopters have a net effect of reducing crime vs spending the money on other areas of law enforcement and, if so, does that net effect justify the added noise.

Looking at the available research taken as a whole, police helicopter patrols do not result in a statistically significant net reduction in crime. For example, a University of Western Ontario report reviewed 13 studies between 1966 to 2000 and concluded that “A critical review of the literature does not lead to the conclusion that helicopter patrols reduce the incidence of crime”.

http://www.ialep.org/secure/library/...-01-2001R2.pdf

Old 09-08-2016, 09:03 AM

4 posts, read 4,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
Yet I have never experienced so many helicopter flyovers in other cities, as I have in SD, nor have I had such difficult time getting hold of a live dispatcher vs a recording. I live in the Marina District of downtown, which is hardly a high crime area. If something serious, such as an infrequent prison escape, occurs or if someone flies a plane into a building I am 100% for helicopter support...for a prowler 1/4-1/2 mile from where I live I am not...and I am definitely in favor of quieter helicopters, if technologically possible.

how many times have you had a prisoner escape or someone fly a plane into a building in your area. What is a helicopter going to do-confirm a plane did indeed hit the building?
These helicopters are in the air 20 hours a day doing nothing but wasting taxpayer money and I guess waiting for that plane to hit the building and again do what about it I dont know.
I dont want to be buzzed 15 times a day waiting for your 1 in a million scenarios

Old 09-08-2016, 09:10 AM

21,728 posts, read 16,334,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredp22 View Post
how many times have you had a prisoner escape or someone fly a plane into a building in your area. What is a helicopter going to do-confirm a plane did indeed hit the building?
These helicopters are in the air 20 hours a day doing nothing but wasting taxpayer money and I guess waiting for that plane to hit the building and again do what about it I dont know.
I dont want to be buzzed 15 times a day waiting for your 1 in a million scenarios
Lol. You have no idea whatsoever what they are doing up there. I don't happen to like Big Brother surveillance. Nor am I a fearful person ready to give up freedoms for security. But, the helicopters are not "doing nothing but wasting taxpayer money and I guess waiting for that plane to hit the building".

Among other things, they are a pro-active security function just by their presence alone.

Old 09-08-2016, 09:10 AM

50,250 posts, read 47,011,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredp22 View Post
Well, let's break it down here.
North Island - Navy/Marines/CG
IB - Navy/Marines
Camp P - Navy/Marines
Something like 4 or 5 different news choppers
Every small airfield - SDPD - Sheriff
Clairemont - life flight
E County - BP

Able base is the only real tax payer $ being spent in the air by SDPD. The rest are private or military coming and going and pretty sure we don't want to halt life flights.

Good luck getting the armed forces to stop training.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego