Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which one?
San Diego 22 66.67%
New York City Area (NY/NJ/CT) 11 33.33%
Somewhere else (please post) 0 0%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-29-2012, 11:31 PM

15,116 posts, read 32,205,587 times

Advertisements

I have a friend that lives in Albuquerque. One day I was complaining to him about the 40 degree weather, and how cold it was. His reply was that it was in the 20's, and he had his gas wall heater and two space heaters on, so I shouldn't complain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2012, 10:47 AM

6,418 posts, read 11,564,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyinsd View Post
... The only problem is that I've become so used to the weather here that I say things that are just totally insane to people who don't live here. For example, I was talking to my sister who lives in Alaska, and I said, yeah, it's going to get cold here. It will drop into the 40s.

There was silence on the other side of the line.
My mum, still living back in the Chicago area, loves to tease me during May when her weather is warmer than our weather.

Old 03-01-2012, 05:33 PM

1,658 posts, read 3,539,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoTimeToTalk View Post
What about family back home?
Most of my family lives in the Midwest. I miss them and love them too, but not enough to make me feel obligated enough to put up with six months of miserable weather. Also, my Dad is from another continent, so moving halfway across the country just doesn't seem like a big deal. Perhaps your family ties on the east coast go back many more generations.

Old 05-21-2013, 02:37 PM

1 posts, read 1,076 times
Hey, NoTimeToTalk, what did you decide to do?

I'm living in Manhattan at the moment and thinking of moving to San Diego. I'd love to hear your verdict on the situation.

Old 05-21-2013, 03:23 PM

57 posts, read 95,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyinsd View Post
That's my story, too!

I was born here, grew up in DC, and have always wanted to move back here. After being told I'd miss the four seasons and the next to perfect weather all the time would get boring, I've got this to say.

The four seasons can kiss my sun drenched butt!

The only problem is that I've become so used to the weather here that I say things that are just totally insane to people who don't live here. For example, I was talking to my sister who lives in Alaska, and I said, yeah, it's going to get cold here. It will drop into the 40s.

There was silence on the other side of the line.

LOL...yep, same here! DC native here too (well, Montgomery Co. MD) Been out here since '99. The Blizzard of '96 was the final straw for me after getting stuck at work for four days 'cause I couldn't drive home (commute was about 35 miles). Now, if I want to go play in snow I just drive up to Big Bear a few times each winter for some skiing, get my fill and come on back down to SD.

NoTimeToTalk, you're young and single and if you're able to make the kind of coin you claim you can then get out here already, if you haven't done so. You can always visit the family back east around the holidays or better yet, get them to come here and pay you a visit.

Old 05-22-2013, 02:25 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,170,860 times
I moved from San Diego to DC in 2008 after living here for years, thinking I'd like the 4 seasons. Three years later, I convinced my dad to take the job here in San Diego, because I missed the nice year-round weather and beaches. I personally think 4 seasons are overrated. Snow is fine for a vacation, but we can go to the mountains anytime we want for snow in California, and still be back home in 65F, sunny weather with a light sea breeze that same winter day.

Old 05-26-2013, 02:58 PM

739 posts, read 1,844,075 times
Weather is a serious consideration for the OP (I hope he comes back to let us know his decision) but NYC isn't just about weather. If I were the OP, I'd take the job in NYC. He'll learn a lot about living in one of the world's great cities. He will either come to love it and it will be in his blood, or he'll really appreciate a chance to move to SD someday.

I grew up in a suburb just north of the Bronx, outside of NYC. Now I live in Oregon and am trying to talk my dh into retiring to SD. At this point in time, the costs of living in a good, safe NY suburb with a good school district are astronomical. Like, how do people do that? Property taxes are in the stratosphere, about to bump into the Hubble Telescope. $20k a year?! A nice house in Tuckahoe costs $800k. A so-so house in that town costs $500k (will need a new kitchen and bathrooms, if it even has more than one). Under that price and you're talking co-operative apartments.

SD has wonderful weather. Housing is expensive but in comparison to the NYC area? Not. OTOH, no schools in SD or anywhere in CA, unless they are private, can compete with public schools in the northeast. (Sorry but it's the truth).

Family. Family? Is there no airport in SD? They will LOVE coming to visit you. You will definitely want a property with a guest room.

In terms of experience, the NYC area will provide a far richer one, both personally and most likely career-wise. Having worked in business for years myself and being married to one who is retired from same, seeing NY on a resume has a little more kick than someplace like San Diego. (If you can make it there, you can make it anywhere...).

Someone mentioned that if the OP got laid off, it would be harder to find another job in SD than in NYC. Very true, depending on your field. Banking, finance, computers, etc.? Better you should be in NY for those.

All in all, I'd take the chance to live in NYC. Some of it will suck. A lot of it will suck. But you'll be a richer person for it.

Old 05-27-2013, 12:28 PM

142 posts, read 204,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExNooYawk View Post
no schools in SD or anywhere in CA, unless they are private, can compete with public schools in the northeast. (Sorry but it's the truth).
I agree with NY making you richer. As far as your comment about the schools, are you including public colleges in NY as well?

Old 05-27-2013, 12:49 PM

739 posts, read 1,844,075 times
WALK, no, just schools through twelfth grade.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego