Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-29-2012, 08:06 PM

1,665 posts, read 2,975,133 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shmoov_groovzsd View Post
Instead of a new thread....

I was wondering if the rising gas prices are going to be affecting any part of your driving routine for the day/week?

For me, not one bit, but I am just curious if the sensationalism I am seeing on the news is making any type of valid point besides the prices going up. I mean what is the point one reaches to put the keys down and say 'no way' its too expensive.
Nope.

I fill my tank every two or three weeks. If prices go up by a buck a gallon, it costs me $15 more a fill up. That's a buck a day.

Do I like spending $300-400 more a year for gas? Of course not! But does it mean I'm going to get rid of my car? Hell no.

I remember being able to fill my tank up for less than $20. If I tolerated it going to $40 and then to $50 and then to $60, I can handle this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2012, 04:59 PM

5,291 posts, read 12,739,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shmoov_groovzsd View Post
Instead of a new thread....

I was wondering if the rising gas prices are going to be affecting any part of your driving routine for the day/week?

For me, not one bit, but I am just curious if the sensationalism I am seeing on the news is making any type of valid point besides the prices going up. I mean what is the point one reaches to put the keys down and say 'no way' its too expensive.
For those of us who don't live close to work, I don't think we have a choice in the matter as far as changing our driving habits. I recall not wanting to venture too far off from home or work if I didn't have to the last time gas prices rose above $5 a gallon. It's a great excuse to ride my bike more, especially with the time change coming soon.

Old 03-02-2012, 08:23 AM

20,834 posts, read 17,102,752 times
Any advice on buying gas in Mexico? I am working in Chula. Sells for $2.90 right x the border....don't know a thing about this....tips?

Old 03-02-2012, 10:01 AM

6,420 posts, read 11,596,094 times
When we camped in Mexico, we often bought gas at a Pemex. We once bought gas from the guy who comes around with barrels in the back of his pickup truck (we weren't anywhere near a Pemex). We never had any problem with it, but that was in an older vehicle. I don't know whether it makes any difference.

The issues you'll have to deal with are insurance. Mexico does not honor U.S. insurance. I've heard that at least one U.S. company claims their insurance is honored in Mexico, but I've never heard that Mexico honors *any* U.S. insurance.

And then there's the time it takes to cross back in to the U.S. If you're going to do this, I wonder if it wouldn't be worth it to drive over to Tecate, just because the return had always been so much shorter. But then, you'd be spending gas to buy cheaper gas.

Old 03-02-2012, 10:10 AM

4,630 posts, read 10,274,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AADAD View Post
Any advice on buying gas in Mexico? I am working in Chula. Sells for $2.90 right x the border....don't know a thing about this....tips?
Check out the border wait times for Otay Mesa (not San Ysidro).

Do you have a Sentri Card, Passport or Enhance drivers license? If you dont, you will have a tough time coming back and WILL be pulled over at the crossing. Not sure if its really worth that for a tank of gas at half the price.

Old 03-03-2012, 01:39 AM

1,192 posts, read 3,483,332 times
Default Now, not just "back in the day"

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrmsd View Post
I took an enviro studies class in college here in SD; the class was full of students from around the world-i think 19 nations represented out of 25 students or so...anyway, oral survey around the class,t o see who pays what for 'petrol'. The UAE guy says 'it's free'. pause, total silence. what? it's free? lol back in the day, kuwait had free gas, as well, though i guess these things change and fluctuate. but we have it nowhere near as bad as europe as a whole.
Kuwait City, Kuwait: sorry but it's less than 0.80/gallon. Don't be envious - you don't have to be in the gunsite of an Iranian Scud!

I'm working on a project in Kuwait right now and gasoline is less than 80cents per gallon for everybody and bus service for longest routes - 30-40 miles - also less than a dollar per trip. Anyone working for a government entity or state energy company - including guest workers like me - get up to 15 gallons per day FREE! It's a small country, just a little larger than Jersey, so I basically can drive from one end of the country to the other whenever I'd want to for free (alas, not much scenery except sand and camels (pretty cool beasts by the way) so I am usually able to stifle the urge!).

I know it's going to be soo hard when the project ends to go back to the U.S. and pay $4/g!

Old 03-03-2012, 07:41 AM

4.21 at Costco for unleaded yesterday. Line out the door.

Old 03-03-2012, 08:35 PM

1,538 posts, read 1,483,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AADAD View Post
4.21 at Costco for unleaded yesterday. Line out the door.

Lots of stations have prices near enough to that that I wouldn't waste my time. Just to save a buck or two? No thanks.

Old 03-03-2012, 08:36 PM

1,538 posts, read 1,483,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurbanite View Post
I recall not wanting to venture too far off from home or work if I didn't have to the last time gas prices rose above $5 a gallon.

Gas never cracked $5/gallon in the U.S. Diesel did but not gas.

Old 03-04-2012, 08:08 AM

To bad Chevy has technical and price point issues with the Volt. 100 miles on no gas?

Sounds good right about now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego