Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2012, 05:08 PM

41 posts, read 142,307 times

Advertisements

Long story short: an outbound flight from SD got cancelled, and I'm rebooked out of Tijuana. I'm not freaked out about safety or anything, but I am a little worried about reliability and logistics of transportation. Out of SD, I was just going to catch a shuttle or a ride, but I'm much less familiar with the TJ airport, having never been there.

Does anyone here have experience with transportation to the TJ airport? I've been looking at this: Volaris/Crucero Shuttle but have heard that it can be unreliable and the schedule is never accurate. Has anyone used this or some similar service? Thanks. I'd have to be at the TJ airport for a 9:05am flight on a Saturday morning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2012, 06:24 PM

6,420 posts, read 11,596,094 times
We drove the car and parked in a lot just north of the border at San Ysidro. (Might have been better off if we did this at Otay Mesa since it's much closer to the airport.) We walked across the border and got a cab to the airport.

Old 02-26-2012, 07:57 PM

Thanks for the suggestion. I was hoping not to have to drive and leave a car there, for a few reasons. One is that my return flight is still back to San Diego, and the other is that the trip will be a week long, and I'm guessing a week's worth of parking is going to be more expensive than using shuttle services and bumming a ride off a friend (for the return). But I'll research parking prices more - it's probably less at the border than at the SD airport.

Old 02-26-2012, 08:18 PM

1,471 posts, read 3,339,744 times
if your flight is not an ungodly early or late hour, can you take the trolley to the border and then a cab to the airport? Its a pain in the arse, but it certainly saves a lot.

Old 02-26-2012, 11:43 PM

6,420 posts, read 11,596,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clevelandgal View Post
if your flight is not an ungodly early or late hour, can you take the trolley to the border and then a cab to the airport? Its a pain in the arse, but it certainly saves a lot.
I agree. If you have a friend who can help you with the return, forget about parking for a week and do the trolley/cab thing.

Erm ... can you impose on your friend to help with the departure as well as the return, to save you the trolley? (You'd still need to walk across the border and do the cab ... )

Old 02-27-2012, 07:11 PM

1,471 posts, read 3,339,744 times
I just saw a shuttle van downtown that goes to the TJ airport. I was unable to get the web site. A google search indicated the going rate is $95 (!) for a shuttle. I also saw the greyhound goes there from SD. That would be fun. lol

Old 04-09-2012, 07:22 PM

A follow up on this, in case the question comes up again: I had a successful trip using the TJ airport, but not without hitches.

The departure plan: cab from UCSD to Greyhound station at 5:20am, Volaris/Crucero shuttle at 6:45am to TJ airport, flight at 9:05. The shuttle was running 45 min late, so I hopped on the trolley to San Ysidro, walked across the pedestrian crossing, and took a cab ($15) on the TJ side to the airport. The airport was clean, modern, and efficient. Walking across with luggage was a pain, because it's a rather long walk! There were cabs immediately at the border, and we were not alone at the crossing around 7am. I'm assuming we could have found a cheaper cab, but we didn't really care.

The way back: originally was to be a 9:15am arrival at SAN, but due to various issues (don't fly with Volaris, it's a long story) turned into a 12:05am arrival at TIJ. Did something similar - took an airport cab (~$15) to the border, walked across, had a friend pick us up on the US side at San Ysidro. The walking to go from TJ to the US is much less, and we were the only people at customs at 12:30am. We actually would have made the last trolley north from San Ysidro if needed (it was a Sunday night).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego