Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2012, 11:48 PM

Location: Orange County>Inland Empire>Phoenix>Flagstaff>Chicagoland
51 posts, read 140,445 times

Advertisements

I know this question is a really wide range and diverse question. However, I am trying to get a general idea. How much savings would I need to ride things out for awhile before hopefully landing a job? I know everyone's situation was obviously different. However, I am just trying to get an average and hear some people's past stories and scenarios and how they survived and got through things. I have posted before that my career field is in that of IT. I don't really care about how much I am getting paid in doing it, as long as I have a roof over my head at the end of the day. I don't plan on making a long term commitment to San Diego because I've heard from quite a few people that San Diego isn't necessarily the place to climb the career ladder. I would hope to make it permanent though if given the right scenario. Being that I am single now though, and no big or outstanding commitments, it would be nice for a little while I think at the very least. I am of college age (22), but don't want to be around that atmosphere. I am not an avid fan of the partying, drinking, etc...I am very professionally motivated and have been since I graduated high school. Don't know if any places exist for young professionals of the non party type. Anyone's thoughts and past experiences shared would be greatly appreciated! Thanks everyone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2012, 12:40 AM

15,128 posts, read 32,307,461 times
No one knows how long it would take you to get a job here, and there's lots of competition. There are numerous threads on the same subject, so if you search, you should find answers to your questions.

Old 03-02-2012, 02:05 AM

157 posts, read 484,157 times
usually between 500million - 1billion, you'd be good

Old 03-02-2012, 03:25 AM

4,537 posts, read 12,397,477 times
If you end up being unemployed for 6 months, I would come with $10k to $12k.

This assumes rent of about $900 per month.
No car payment.
No car repairs.
Clean driving record so that you can get reasonably priced auto insurance.
And no need to buy furniture, bedding, or significant kitchen supplies.

Regarding the rent, we can guide towards areas with cheap and dumpy apartments that are in areas that are relatively safe.

Old 03-02-2012, 07:47 AM

2,986 posts, read 4,575,132 times
10k would probably be fine for yourself.

Even though San Diego isn't the best place to climb the ladder (Like DC or NYC), who is to say that ambitious people don't do it all the time in San Diego? I'm sure there are still plenty of people like that in CA.

Believe me, after 5 years of professional work in the DC area, I feel like I've aged by twice as much. Not worth it!!

Old 03-02-2012, 10:14 AM

6,420 posts, read 11,590,922 times
Since getting a job is a bit unpredictable, can you come up with a Plan B to avoid homelessness in case you run out of money before you find a job? If you can, then I agree that your current situation is the easiest for making a move like this.

Old 03-02-2012, 05:34 PM

21 posts, read 24,242 times
I agree with GMU. Waking up one day realizing you are 65 with the health ramifications of a high stress career is not living in my view.

If I was 22, I would choose San Diego in a heartbeat. Getting stuck in traffic and paying high rent is a lot more fun in SD than DC, NY, Philly, Boston, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMUAlum08 View Post
10k would probably be fine for yourself.

Even though San Diego isn't the best place to climb the ladder (Like DC or NYC), who is to say that ambitious people don't do it all the time in San Diego? I'm sure there are still plenty of people like that in CA.

Believe me, after 5 years of professional work in the DC area, I feel like I've aged by twice as much. Not worth it!!

Last edited by dallasdan; 03-02-2012 at 05:55 PM..

Old 03-02-2012, 05:50 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,270,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kettlepot View Post
If you end up being unemployed for 6 months, I would come with $10k to $12k.

This assumes rent of about $900 per month.
No car payment.
No car repairs.
Clean driving record so that you can get reasonably priced auto insurance.
And no need to buy furniture, bedding, or significant kitchen supplies.

Regarding the rent, we can guide towards areas with cheap and dumpy apartments that are in areas that are relatively safe.
+1 On this ^^

Old 03-03-2012, 10:26 AM

4,498 posts, read 9,381,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasdan View Post
I agree with GMU. Waking up one day realizing you are 65 with the health ramifications of a high stress career is not living in my view.

If I was 22, I would choose San Diego in a heartbeat. Getting stuck in traffic and paying high rent is a lot more fun in SD than DC, NY, Philly, Boston, etc.
But on the flipside you probably have more people waking up one day realizing you are 65 and although you have perfect health, you are severely underfunded (or have NO savings at all). You blew it all when you were younger or didn't bank up enough as you lived in a high COL city.

It cuts both ways. And while I agree it's important to enjoy your youth. No one understands that more than I do. However, you also have to really think about living in a city where you will be able to bank away significant retirement savings for the future vs. living paycheck to paycheck. That's a big ticking time bomb for many people out there and they don't realize it until it's too late.

Old 03-03-2012, 10:30 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,212,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southwestchicagoan View Post
I know this question is a really wide range and diverse question. However, I am trying to get a general idea. How much savings would I need to ride things out for awhile before hopefully landing a job? I know everyone's situation was obviously different. However, I am just trying to get an average and hear some people's past stories and scenarios and how they survived and got through things. I have posted before that my career field is in that of IT. I don't really care about how much I am getting paid in doing it, as long as I have a roof over my head at the end of the day. I don't plan on making a long term commitment to San Diego because I've heard from quite a few people that San Diego isn't necessarily the place to climb the career ladder. I would hope to make it permanent though if given the right scenario. Being that I am single now though, and no big or outstanding commitments, it would be nice for a little while I think at the very least. I am of college age (22), but don't want to be around that atmosphere. I am not an avid fan of the partying, drinking, etc...I am very professionally motivated and have been since I graduated high school. Don't know if any places exist for young professionals of the non party type. Anyone's thoughts and past experiences shared would be greatly appreciated! Thanks everyone!
Minimum six - nine months of "expenses" and that does not include going out, shopping etc, monthly expenses only.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego