Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2012, 07:36 AM

1,996 posts, read 4,769,387 times

Advertisements

Compared to even smaller cities such as Las Vegas, I noticed certain local TV news stations are really bad representing a true professional high quality production broadcast like you see in other big media markets.

Channel 9 K.U.S.I News

is the worst, there graphics are cheap and lousy looking, there announcer needs to go. This station has absolutely worst looking anchors, all are too old and some just have this unprofessional attitude about them. the sports anchors especially are one example.

There camera quality is also crappy during live broadcasts, and it's reporters are also getting up in age and some have been on the stations for FOREVER! They all dress down, rather than up like a great news organization is supposed to. These guys make SD look bad.

Fox 5

which I like, and is always fun in the mornings, has too many video and audio glitches, and hang ups from time to time. There graphics are cool, but it needs work. The studio set is too small from my TV screen at least. I really miss the old anchors Kendis Gibson and Arthel Neville. No one comes close to matching their style, looks and professionalism like them. I do like Raul Martinez and Kathleen Bade, who is a gorgeous looking anchor BTW.

News 8

Has the best production values, the best set, and good quality anchors. The reporters are always top notch, but they hardly do any investigated reporting, which 10 news is king in.

NBC 7

is also good, but not great, they as well have some hiccups and their productions is up there as well as there graphics, but not like it should be considering that their an actual NBC owner, not affiliate, so I expect only the best. I hate the morning anchors, they are all so boring, Jason Austell used to be a helicopter pilot that reported the traffic, and just doesn't seem fit to be a anchor. Marianne Kushi is aging and simply looks worn out. She is no fun too look at, and overall the morning news for NBC 7 is a wash, the people are boring, and I wish a little more professionalism by the weatherman was enforced because the dude looks like he's always a little too high at times, and bugged out.

10 News

is best at reporting and investigated info, their production is not that great, and I would consider too small market. The anchors are ok, the most attractive one is the Indian lady, who is another beautiful anchor. The set is also small, and overall the newscast is a little low budget in feel. Weak graphics and audio, bad camera quality, not nearly professional or up to par as News 8 or NBC 7.

Most newscast in SD always favor SD somehow, and always hype it up. If it's going to rain, they make such a big deal out it, and start complaining like if rain is bad for you and me. "Oh No San Diego, It's gonna rain today, better stay inside and stay PUT!". It drives me nuts.

San Diego 6 News

Is surprisingly good, they have the cool graphics, and are very professional. The anchors are good to a certain extent, and I never see any kind of mishaps or graphical problems, or any issues during their broadcast like Fox 5. Reporter quality is ok, not especially great. The whole look and feel of the broadcast quality is up there, kinda dreamy in a way. The set is nice, and I enjoy Ruben Galvin in the mornings, he cracks me up.

All and all, not any of our local news broadcast has the same high level of quality finish as news media outlets like LA and OC, the Bay Area, and or even cities half of our size. Does anyone know why this is? For being a mid to larger city, only like 2 local news stations are high quality, and even they aren't what they could be. Our best is LA's worst news cast.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2012, 08:48 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,384,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdlife619 View Post
Compared to even smaller cities such as Las Vegas, I noticed certain local TV news stations are really bad representing a true professional high quality production broadcast like you see in other big media markets.

Channel 9 K.U.S.I News

is the worst, there graphics are cheap and lousy looking, there announcer needs to go. This station has absolutely worst looking anchors, all are too old and some just have this unprofessional attitude about them. the sports anchors especially are one example.

There camera quality is also crappy during live broadcasts, and it's reporters are also getting up in age and some have been on the stations for FOREVER! They all dress down, rather than up like a great news organization is supposed to. These guys make SD look bad.

Fox 5

which I like, and is always fun in the mornings, has too many video and audio glitches, and hang ups from time to time. There graphics are cool, but it needs work. The studio set is too small from my TV screen at least. I really miss the old anchors Kendis Gibson and Arthel Neville. No one comes close to matching their style, looks and professionalism like them. I do like Raul Martinez and Kathleen Bade, who is a gorgeous looking anchor BTW.

News 8

Has the best production values, the best set, and good quality anchors. The reporters are always top notch, but they hardly do any investigated reporting, which 10 news is king in.

NBC 7

is also good, but not great, they as well have some hiccups and their productions is up there as well as there graphics, but not like it should be considering that their an actual NBC owner, not affiliate, so I expect only the best. I hate the morning anchors, they are all so boring, Jason Austell used to be a helicopter pilot that reported the traffic, and just doesn't seem fit to be a anchor. Marianne Kushi is aging and simply looks worn out. She is no fun too look at, and overall the morning news for NBC 7 is a wash, the people are boring, and I wish a little more professionalism by the weatherman was enforced because the dude looks like he's always a little too high at times, and bugged out.

10 News

is best at reporting and investigated info, their production is not that great, and I would consider too small market. The anchors are ok, the most attractive one is the Indian lady, who is another beautiful anchor. The set is also small, and overall the newscast is a little low budget in feel. Weak graphics and audio, bad camera quality, not nearly professional or up to par as News 8 or NBC 7.

Most newscast in SD always favor SD somehow, and always hype it up. If it's going to rain, they make such a big deal out it, and start complaining like if rain is bad for you and me. "Oh No San Diego, It's gonna rain today, better stay inside and stay PUT!". It drives me nuts.

San Diego 6 News

Is surprisingly good, they have the cool graphics, and are very professional. The anchors are good to a certain extent, and I never see any kind of mishaps or graphical problems, or any issues during their broadcast like Fox 5. Reporter quality is ok, not especially great. The whole look and feel of the broadcast quality is up there, kinda dreamy in a way. The set is nice, and I enjoy Ruben Galvin in the mornings, he cracks me up.

All and all, not any of our local news broadcast has the same high level of quality finish as news media outlets like LA and OC, the Bay Area, and or even cities half of our size. Does anyone know why this is? For being a mid to larger city, only like 2 local news stations are high quality, and even they aren't what they could be. Our best is LA's worst news cast.
For the most part I agree with you. This was one of my biggest complaints when I lived there. However, there has been a lot of improvement. KNSD saw the biggest which is perhaps why it was the first station in SD to be purchased by the network it represented. Channel would be next IMO. However this:
Quote:
Has always driven me nuts! Having moved back to the Bay Area I can see the difference in the way the stations are handled. However we too have our one annoying station that likes to make a bigger deal of SF than they should as well. Overall these differences aren't as stark as they were 10 or especially 20 years ago. IMO KNSD should have kept Marty Levine and Denise Yamada on longer as they were perhaps the best team on air in SD IMO.

Old 03-15-2012, 09:19 AM

3,545 posts, read 6,031,276 times
Mostly agree, although I've never considered the attractiveness of the anchors as a factor in whether a station is good at reporting the news...

The horrible production values (coughKUSIcough) that make everyone look like shiny weird plastic zombies are one thing, but to give a station points off because their anchors or older or not attractive enough (to you) seems kid of silly to me.

Old 03-15-2012, 09:27 AM

4,321 posts, read 6,281,603 times
I lived in SD for 6 years and that was one of my biggest gripes. I notice a huge difference in professionalism between what is on the air in SD (very amateur, with slight exceptions for the network stations), vs here in the Bay Area, where it is by and large very professional. I also lived in Phoenix for 2 years and I would have to say that while the news stations there weren't great, they were a step up from SD. You would expect this type of "small-town" feel from news stations in say, Sioux Falls, but not in a metro area of more than 3 million people.

Old 03-15-2012, 09:27 AM

4,630 posts, read 10,273,184 times
No we are not as polished as MAJOR cities are and thats fine by me. Your points are trivial as to what 'good reporting' is. Like Jenkay said, production values are probably to blame for that more than anything else. Actually I was in LA recently and watching the local news there is pretty depressing because they are covering and actually have bad news.

I think about it like this; if I am in the reporting business and want to make a name for myself, SD is probably not the place to cut my teeth in get some award winning coverage. We are relatively safe and the stations (I presume) wont pay much for my talent because there isnt a ton to cover.

There is definitely a reason the movie 'Anchorman' was made and is still relevant today even though it was based in the 70s. Panda Watch! I remember when that was happening a few years ago at the SD Zoo.

Old 03-15-2012, 09:30 AM

6,420 posts, read 11,593,857 times
Yes, since the day I moved here in the late '80s. And it's only gone downhill from there. When I first moved here, my neighbor was one of the evening anchors for K.U.S.I. She was also dismayed with the lack of quality of their content.

And not only the TV news. I've always thought the Union Tribune was appallingly provincial for what was then the sixth largest city in the USA. And that's now only a mere shadow of what it was in those days.

Old 03-15-2012, 10:26 AM

50,262 posts, read 47,023,439 times
The local channels have seemed to be in a shootout to get the hottest news chicks. If I want real news I'll get it off the net.

I guess if hot chicks get ratings it will continue that way.

Old 03-15-2012, 11:09 AM

258 posts, read 533,723 times
It's San Diego.

Laid back city, laid back news telecasts.

Old 03-15-2012, 11:58 AM

1,447 posts, read 2,744,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shmoov_groovzsd View Post
No we are not as polished as MAJOR cities are and thats fine by me. Your points are trivial as to what 'good reporting' is. Like Jenkay said, production values are probably to blame for that more than anything else. Actually I was in LA recently and watching the local news there is pretty depressing because they are covering and actually have bad news.

I think about it like this; if I am in the reporting business and want to make a name for myself, SD is probably not the place to cut my teeth in get some award winning coverage. We are relatively safe and the stations (I presume) wont pay much for my talent because there isnt a ton to cover.

There is definitely a reason the movie 'Anchorman' was made and is still relevant today even though it was based in the 70s. Panda Watch! I remember when that was happening a few years ago at the SD Zoo.
I got the same feeling when watching LA news. They have a lot of depressing things to report.

Why would anyone want to watch that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
The local channels have seemed to be in a shootout to get the hottest news chicks. If I want real news I'll get it off the net.
I get 99% of my news off the net and within 10 minutes I know all I want to about the world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
I guess if hot chicks get ratings it will continue that way.
Especially the weather reporters. Wow.

Honestly, I rarely watch local news, or any news on TV.

Old 03-15-2012, 12:06 PM

3,113 posts, read 8,378,530 times
I live in Riverside County now, and I miss the San Diego stations!

All those "worn out" and "too old" anchors and reporters are like old friends, if you grew up watching them...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego