Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2007, 10:29 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by senna View Post
I am a single 28 yr old male looking to relocate to San Diego from queens NY. I’ve been to SD about 4 times within the past 12 months and like so many others, love it. My work experience is in finance and banking as I hold a series 7, 66, 31 and health and life insurance licenses. I’m wondering though would it make sense to move out there first, roommate and then start looking for work or stay in NY and try to land a job there first. Currently I am not working in NY as I recently closed up a little business I started for myself in January. The thought of moving out there first with no job is daunting but I think I might have a better shot landing something by being in the area as opposed to residing across the country. I appreciate all replies and advice in advance.
words like self employment, commision only, and moving to an expensive city dont go very well together. if i am reading your in between the lines stuff, you probably already know that. the insurance biz is commision, i dont like the sound of that either. banking like in "teller"? that is something you could do, but that is not big money here.
could it be you need some vocational training, not necessarily a stack of licenses that allow you to be self employed? vocational you can do right where you are at not that i am pitching NYC.
look b4 you leap.
wish you the best.

stephen s
san diego ca
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2007, 01:06 PM

88 posts, read 196,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justsomeguy View Post
That's what I did. MOved out here with no job and no place to live and 10k in the bank. It's worked out for me so far! People telling you not to move without a job don't appreciate how hard it is to get a job somewhere if you don't live there - most of the time your resume is just going to go in the trash. In your case, you have a lot of experience so it seems so that might be different - it's easier to get an out-of-state job if you are an expert in your field. I would spend the next month or two trying to get a job and if you don't find anything, say F' it and move out here, provided you have enough $ saved up. I'd recommend at least 10k, preferably closer to 15k would be better though.
Thanks, And I here you man, part of me just wants to wing it and go out there. What type of job have you worked since living in SD?

Old 09-12-2007, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunky39 View Post
words like self employment, commision only, and moving to an expensive city dont go very well together. if i am reading your in between the lines stuff, you probably already know that. the insurance biz is commision, i dont like the sound of that either. banking like in "teller"? that is something you could do, but that is not big money here.
could it be you need some vocational training, not necessarily a stack of licenses that allow you to be self employed? vocational you can do right where you are at not that i am pitching NYC.
look b4 you leap.
wish you the best.

stephen s
san diego ca
Thanks for your thoughts, it definily got me thinking. The business I was operating was a little day trading outfit. But when the markets pulled back this summer.. well, you know..I figured a couple nickles left in my pocket and going back to work would be better then sitting around waiting for the mkts to turn around. Besides, I always looked at my licences as an insurance policy. Here in NY it was always easy to get work because of it. But I think things are different in SD. Also I'm at a point in my life where I want to start over fresh. I lived in NY all my life and aside from family, never really liked it. I traveled up and down the east coast and felt the same. I know SD is a bit expensive but I've always loved it. How long have you been in SD? would you recommend SD as a place to relocate to or not?

Old 09-13-2007, 02:21 PM

989 posts, read 2,441,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by senna View Post
Thanks, And I here you man, part of me just wants to wing it and go out there. What type of job have you worked since living in SD?

I've been here 6 months and work in a Marketing Dept. as an analyst. It's just a temp job though...so I'll be out of a job soon...so my future here is uncertain...

Old 09-14-2007, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justsomeguy View Post
I've been here 6 months and work in a Marketing Dept. as an analyst. It's just a temp job though...so I'll be out of a job soon...so my future here is uncertain...
Thanks dude, You and the others have been a tremendous help... Good luck to all...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
View detailed profiles of: