Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2013, 08:13 PM

32 posts, read 69,099 times

Advertisements

I was considering Fallbrook but have decided on Ramona instead. The only reason for this is because I read online that the military has bought land out in Fallbrook and there are loud explosive noises going off. The woman wrote that it was like living in a war zone and that dogs jump through the windows in their houses because of the loud explosive noises. Is this true??? I do not want to rule out Fallbrook by reading false information online. I have decided to buy a piece of land in Ramona or Fallbrook and build a house. I am having a hard time deciding which town. Also, which one has the lower crime? And, what about these fires I am reading about? I am flying up on the 22nd to check both towns out so any info would be greatly appreciated!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2013, 08:23 PM

Oh, also which one is the closest and quickest to drive to the city. Carlsbad area for example.

Old 02-15-2013, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyGirl1 View Post
Pros and cons? Have just purchased a home up in the hills of Fallbrook ....I am beyond excited, as we have always loved SD and will now finally, be living near family. Looking forward to the gorgeous weather ( as compared to Texas, where we are coming from) and all that encompasses SD. Have lived in Ca. numerous times, but never Fallbrook. Tell me, what are both the pros and cons...TIA!
Where from in Texas are you coming from? I am in Dallas freezing tonight!

Old 02-15-2013, 09:06 PM

10,090 posts, read 42,420,868 times
Hi Jessica! We moved from just outside of Houston on the Gulf. You will find the weather out here much more enjoyable! We have been in Fallbrook since May. Camp Pendleton does have an entrance here in Fallbrook, but the actual address is Oceanside.and stretches all along the coast. It covers some 250 miles. We occasionally hear a few booms, but nothing like a war zone. My animals never even react. I have heard them in all the surrounding towns, so it is far from being exclusive to Fallbrook. I" m guessing location of property may have a lot to do with the noise. When you visit, you'll have to decide for yourself if this noise is bothersome to you. I have no knowledge about Ramona...maybe someone else here on the boards can ans. your questions.
Today's temps reached 82 here in FB...warmer than normal, but no complaints!

Old 02-15-2013, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepinksquid View Post
Good luck ShelbyGirl! Sounds like you have an exciting adventure ahead of you! Fallbrook is beautiful, you should enjoy it.
Fallbrook V. Ramona??

Old 02-16-2013, 06:43 AM

I read a post online this woman wrote about how the military has bought land out in Fallbrook and how they test explosives and how there is always gun fire. She said it was like living in a war zone with all of the noise and how dogs get so scared they jump through the glass windows of their houses. Is this true or is she being dramatic? I am looking to buy land in Ramona or Fallbrook and trying to decide between the two.

Also, which town has the lowest crime rate, best schools and is closer to the city for work?

Old 02-16-2013, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica456 View Post
I read a post online this woman wrote about how the military has bought land out in Fallbrook and how they test explosives and how there is always gun fire. She said it was like living in a war zone with all of the noise and how dogs get so scared they jump through the glass windows of their houses. Is this true or is she being dramatic? I am looking to buy land in Ramona or Fallbrook and trying to decide between the two.

Also, which town has the lowest crime rate, best schools and is closer to the city for work?

I will repeat: there is NOT always gunfire! You may hear a boom once or twice a week...sometimes, you don't hear anything for weeks/months. Actually, I have never heard gunfire. The booms are them clearing mines and they usually put a blurb in the paper about it. My animals never EVER react...again, localitiy is everything! There are many $1m + homes with acreage. Do you really think we all would have bought in a " war zone"? And again, it is not anything exclusive to Fallbrook. Every surrounding town hears the same..Pendleton spreads out over 200+ miles.
Can not ans for Ramona, but for FB, the daily crime reports are listed in the paper every morning and are next to nil. They consist of broken into cars and an occasional home robbery, sprinkled with a teen arrested for tagging. Once in awhile you may see something about area gang activities. Again, gang related stuff is nothing exclusive to Fallbrook.

Last edited by ShelbyGirl1; 02-16-2013 at 08:32 AM..

Old 02-16-2013, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyGirl1 View Post
I will repeat: there is NOT always gunfire! You may hear a boom once or twice a week...sometimes, you don't hear anything for weeks/months. Actually, I have never heard gunfire. The booms are them clearing mines and they usually put a blurb in the paper about it. My animals never EVER react...again, localitiy is everything! There are many $1m + homes with acreage. Do you really think we all would have bought in a " war zone"? And again, it is not anything exclusive to Fallbrook. Every surrounding town hears the same..Pendleton spreads out over 200+ miles.
Can not ans for Ramona, but for FB, the daily crime reports are listed in the paper every morning and are next to nil. They consist of broken into cars and an occasional home robbery, sprinkled with a teen arrested for tagging. Once in awhile you may see something about area gang activities. Again, gang related stuff is nothing exclusive to Fallbrook.
Thank you for the onfo. It is another cold day here in Dallas. I do not like the weather here at all!! Plus, Dallas is boring. I will hopefully buying a piece of land in FB. The only catch is, I will have to temporarly put a manufactured home on it for a few years until I can save the money to have a house built. I am afraid of how people will look at and treat me. I read in the earlier post of the have and have nots and do not want to be looked at as "trailer trash". I come from a middle class family and have a college degree and am definatly not "trailer trash:. I am kind of worried about the class division there now.

Old 02-16-2013, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica456 View Post
Thank you for the onfo. It is another cold day here in Dallas. I do not like the weather here at all!! Plus, Dallas is boring. I will hopefully buying a piece of land in FB. The only catch is, I will have to temporarly put a manufactured home on it for a few years until I can save the money to have a house built. I am afraid of how people will look at and treat me. I read in the earlier post of the have and have nots and do not want to be looked at as "trailer trash". I come from a middle class family and have a college degree and am definatly not "trailer trash:. I am kind of worried about the class division there now.
I have no idea how people will perceive you, I would think that would depend on YOU. But I will say this, if you think Dallas is boring, than neither Fallbrook or Ramona are for you! Fallbrook is a sleepy little rural town, which is very quiet and serene. It is why people move here. For the peace, for the quiet, for the sereness and wildlife. There is not a whole lot happening in the town itself. You would have to go outside of Fallbrook to find any excitement, which is what we do.

Old 02-16-2013, 02:05 PM

Oh, that is the whole point of moving there to be able to go into SD, LA, and other fun areas in my free time. I do not mind rural as long as there is something great within driving distance like the beach and such. Drive a little ways from Dallas and you are in Oklahoma, Houston ect... Ugh, not worth the drive! LOL!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego