Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-25-2012, 07:01 PM

12 posts, read 60,777 times

Advertisements

Im 24 and planning on moving to San Diego in January 2013. No job but I'll just hope for the best! Well, kind of! I have 2 years of wildland firefighting experience one year in Arizona(national resource unit, also known as "hotshots")and one out east(also a national resource unit). I'm looking to transition over to a city fire dept preferably San Diego! Well not preferably.... I really want to get on San Diego FD!!! There's a wildland fire department (hotshot crew) based out of El Cajon. If things don't workout with San Diego fire right away, my chances of getting on with the dept in El Cajon (fire season starts in May) are really good. In the mean time I hope to find work as a security guard some where to pay for rent. I have 3 years experience as a security guard. Where should I live? What should I do? I'm pretty much going into this blind.... Any help or contacts are greatly appreciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2012, 07:29 PM

15,129 posts, read 32,326,222 times
Make sure that you have a large savings to hold you over. Getting a security guard job here won't be easy as you think it may be, and what you make won't pay your rent. You'll have to look for a roommate situation.

Last edited by moved; 03-25-2012 at 07:51 PM..

Old 03-26-2012, 09:30 PM

4,539 posts, read 12,404,526 times
You haven't offered us anything as to what you want in a neighborhood, so I will just base my suggestions on a desire for affordability and reasonable access to San Diego or El Cajon. Therefore, look at La Mesa, Rolando Park, or El Cerrito. These areas are in East San Diego. They take you out of the rent bubble surrounding SDSU. They are safer than City Heights, but close enough that rents are lower than what you would find nearer the coast or Balboa Park.

As Moved said, bring your savings with you. If not as a cushion to get you by while you job hunt, as a cushion to persuade a landlord to rent to you.

Make sure your car is paid for before you get out here. You don't want a car payment hanging over your head.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego