Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2009, 04:36 PM

2,536 posts, read 9,930,164 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJSoccer16 View Post
Any town in Florida that is not ridiculously hot and humid is far away from the beach and usually are very small towns.
Honestly inland areas (which is where the majority of very small towns in the state are) are often more hot and humid than the coastal areas. They don't have the ocean breezes to cool the summer temps. All of Florida is awfully hot and humid in the summer, even the northern extremes and the Panhandle (which can be freezing in the winter).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2009, 04:37 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,413,299 times
detroit but only 5 months of the year.

Old 05-20-2009, 04:54 PM

19 posts, read 98,248 times
To me its NO CITY LIKE SAN DIEGO. Its just too good here. This is why I decided to purchase a new home this year!

Old 05-20-2009, 05:34 PM

213 posts, read 744,804 times
Not many places. You preety much need to look on the west coast or farther inland. Or if you would leave the states Sydney, Australia has a mediteranian climate. But I guess farther up the east coast say Virginia Beach, Virginia could be nice but not the same weather.

Old 05-20-2009, 06:27 PM

5,291 posts, read 12,738,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Charles_ View Post
Perth has three advantages compared to SD.

1. It is in the state of Western Australia, Australia
2. No TJ to the south
3. No LA to the north.
I heard of the SD-Perth comparision many times, along with Cape Town.

IMO, it's great having a world class city (LA) just 2 hours away. The biggest complaint about Perth that I've heard is that is it's too isolated from other big cities.

Old 05-21-2009, 08:19 AM

1,991 posts, read 3,969,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurbanite View Post
I heard of the SD-Perth comparision many times, along with Cape Town.

IMO, it's great having a world class city (LA) just 2 hours away. The biggest complaint about Perth that I've heard is that is it's too isolated from other big cities.
Melbourne has a mediterranean climate too, so a SD-Melbourne comparison is just as valid as a SD-Perth comparison.

Melborne is one of my 5 favorite international cities, but if I was going to try to move somewhere internationally with a mediterranean climate, to me Marseilles, France would edge out Melbourne and Perth.

I loved the SD area when I visted, and it's on my top 3 places to retire list (specifically 4S Ranch and/or eastern Chula Vista). But I absolutely hated LA (except for Santa Monica and the Rancho Cucamonga area) so if I ever did move to SD, I'd probably almost never day-trip to LA and for me it wouldn't even be a consideration for moving.

Old 05-21-2009, 09:11 AM

9,526 posts, read 30,475,285 times
I went to Oz last year and we preferred Sydney to Melbourne overall. Sydney is not that much bigger than San Diego but just appears to be a "greater" city because of it's iconic landmarks and history. Personally I would say it is a close analog to SD, but certainly not cheaper, esp after you figure in the limited opportunity, low salaries and high taxes (and high cost of nearly everything) in Oz.

Old 05-21-2009, 06:22 PM

5,291 posts, read 12,738,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MantaRay View Post
Melbourne has a mediterranean climate too, so a SD-Melbourne comparison is just as valid as a SD-Perth comparison.

Melborne is one of my 5 favorite international cities, but if I was going to try to move somewhere internationally with a mediterranean climate, to me Marseilles, France would edge out Melbourne and Perth.

I loved the SD area when I visted, and it's on my top 3 places to retire list (specifically 4S Ranch and/or eastern Chula Vista). But I absolutely hated LA (except for Santa Monica and the Rancho Cucamonga area) so if I ever did move to SD, I'd probably almost never day-trip to LA and for me it wouldn't even be a consideration for moving.
I'd say Melbourne's climate is more comparable to SF, while Sydney's is more comparable to SD. I definitely felt at home in Sydney with it's surfer/beach vibe going on. Bondi and Manly Beaches reminded me of the North County Coast, for sure.

Old 05-22-2009, 02:17 AM

163 posts, read 576,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nogab13 View Post
If you want green & affordable housing with fairly mild weather check out Charlotte.
You will have a winter, but it rarely snows. Summer can get toasty (this one's unusually hot). Housing in this area is still affordable. Something in every price range...
You might like the uptown (downtown) area & the fact that you can live close to water (lakes).

South Park & some areas such as Myers park are pricey,
but you can go to Bellmont, Huntersville or other areas & get yourself a nice property.

Raliegh Durham's ok too... little colder though.

Seattle's nice, if you don't mind the overcast days, rain & chilly weather.
I live in the Seattle area and it is not nice. Nor is it much cheaper to live here than San Diego. And the Seasonal Affected Disorder every Oct. to June is miserable from the dark days that never seems to end. Summers are way too short and then you are back in the dark muck. OMG I want out of this area soon. We are looking at San Diego as well as Phoenix, and Boulder.

Old 05-22-2009, 02:33 AM

163 posts, read 576,863 times
Default What about Corpus Christi?

I haven't been there but I have read that Corpus Christi is drier than Houston and quite nice and cheap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego