Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2007, 10:32 PM

30 posts, read 195,348 times

Advertisements

I was wrong about the spanish immersion in Chula Vista. Just found this article:
SignOnSanDiego.com > News > Education -- Education is spoken here
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2007, 09:31 PM

2 posts, read 3,652 times
Default want to move to san diego

I am a black man looking to relocate to San Diego from Canada. Currently I am working for Toyota as a finance manager. I am married to a white lady and I have two cute kids. How is life and the job market there. How about racism against blacks

Old 09-21-2007, 09:53 PM
SDF

52 posts, read 245,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdabreo View Post
I am a black man looking to relocate to San Diego from Canada. Currently I am working for Toyota as a finance manager. I am married to a white lady and I have two cute kids. How is life and the job market there. How about racism against blacks
I'm sure you'll do just fine in SD. Job market is okay, looks like you have a job lined up, car salesmen generally do well out here. SD is a very tolerant city as far as race goes, and interracial marriages. There's plenty of all races in all parts of town depending on your socioeconomic situaton, although upscale areas like La Jolla, Del Mar, Coronado, etc, are mostly white. I'm white, and my wife is Mexican, we go everywhere together, everything is great. Canada is a great place too. I'm sure you'll like it here, except for the rent/mortgage rates

Old 09-22-2007, 10:58 AM

9,520 posts, read 30,346,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdabreo View Post
Like SDF said people are tolerant here although it is a mostly white city. My wife is Mexican and we've never had problems here although we get plenty of stares back home on Long Island. In my neighborhood there are a lot of interracial couples, including a black/white family around the corner.

Old 09-23-2007, 11:07 PM
SDF

52 posts, read 245,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
Like SDF said people are tolerant here although it is a mostly white city. My wife is Mexican and we've never had problems here although we get plenty of stares back home on Long Island. In my neighborhood there are a lot of interracial couples, including a black/white family around the corner.
Sass, I suppose people stare at times, but the question is whether anyone has a "problem" with my interracial marriage, and whether anyone wants to try to do anything about it. They wouldn't dare. I'm 5'11'' and 200lb., my wife is quite a bit smaller than me. I love my home city and most everything about it, and find people to be respectful for the most part. Living in South Bay near the border, I'd say the biggest issue is Mexican guys' checking out my wife out of the corner of their eye. As long as they keep it at that there's no problem.

My buddy lives in Tijuana (he's white), and he has a Mexican wife as well. He was eating out at a restaurant in TJ recently, and some jerk wearing a cowboy hat and a big belt buckle, walked by, leaned down to his pregnant wife, and asked her why she was with a loser white guy. He asked the guy to get lost, and the guy pushed his chair over. He jumped up immediately, the guy made a move toward him, so he threw an overhand right, breaking the guy's nose and knocking him out cold. The guy certainly deserved it. The only bad thing was that my friend was arrested, but was able to spring for a $300 mordida and get out of jail. Boy, it's a different world down in TJ.

Old 11-07-2007, 12:18 PM

47 posts, read 227,381 times
Smile move to san diego

Hello,

Thanks for all you help. I was in this forum a few mths ago and got a lot of useful tips. We ahve finally made the decision and will be movinf to san diego early March. Hubby will be working at bostonia and my office is in otay mesa. We are loking at renting - 3,4 bdrm condo/townhouse for first few mths. Schools are definetely the biggest priority.

Some people have mentioned eastern chula vista, paradise hills, etc. Any suggestions on schools, rentals, townhouses. I had a couple of question to help with the transition , esp for the kids, - how far is the beach, any good indian/chinese restaurants in the area , libraries, fitness center, shopping areas. Has anything changed drastically after the fires.

We are getting excited about the move.

pinal

Old 11-07-2007, 12:24 PM

9,520 posts, read 30,346,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinal View Post
Hello,

Thanks for all you help. I was in this forum a few mths ago and got a lot of useful tips. We ahve finally made the decision and will be movinf to san diego early March. Hubby will be working at bostonia and my office is in otay mesa. We are loking at renting - 3,4 bdrm condo/townhouse for first few mths. Schools are definetely the biggest priority.

Some people have mentioned eastern chula vista, paradise hills, etc. Any suggestions on schools, rentals, townhouses. I had a couple of question to help with the transition , esp for the kids, - how far is the beach, any good indian/chinese restaurants in the area , libraries, fitness center, shopping areas. Has anything changed drastically after the fires.

We are getting excited about the move.

pinal
If schools and kids are important to you, I would avoid Paradise Hills.

Old 11-07-2007, 02:37 PM

47 posts, read 227,381 times
schools are the no. 1 priority. Does anyone know of schools in the area with GATE program

pinal
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego