Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2012, 11:43 AM

4,498 posts, read 9,382,682 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by futbol View Post
We know people going to some of those schools listed. Academics are important, but at the top of their list are the environment in which their kids spend the week.

Some of those private schools top out at a 'family' rate (3+ kids). That is, there is a maximum that you pay.

That said, we are very happy with the public option here.

I went to one of those "La Jolla County Day School type places" from K to 8 and although the education was great. I really preferred public schools. By the time high school came around I was begging my parents to send me to the public high school. The environment in those private expensive schools can be a "bubble". There isn't too much diversity of backgrounds, socio-economic status, etc.

Even if they top out at a family rate of 3 kids. That's still a tremendous amount to spend for grade school tuition for a family of 3 kids.

Like you futbol, I'm very happy with the public school option here in the PUSD. I hope I continue to be impressed with the school district until my kids are done with school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2012, 01:21 PM

50,268 posts, read 47,023,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingAloha View Post
Most of Eastlake/Otay Ranch has Mello Roos!!
Ah ha, now I remember. The wife fell in love with the new houses. After looking at the drive times and then the average MRs we decided elsewhere..

Old 09-30-2012, 05:34 PM

Someone else posted this on another board but it is VERY informative so I thought I'd repost the link to the file here:

http://www.orrick.com/fileupload/1180.pdf

My feeling is there is a clear lack of transparency regarding Mello Roos taxes. Plus, it's very clear to me they will definitely increase the Mello Roos taxes the maximum amount each year as allowed by law. It's also disturbing that these entities can extend the bonds from the original finish dates. So you can think you are done paying in 2041 but then the bond can get extended it sounds like. The entire thing sounds very hazy.

Paying off the Mellow Roos (CFD) ahead of time seems to eliminate all of these potential headaches and ever increasing tax burden in the future.

Last edited by earlyretirement; 09-30-2012 at 05:51 PM..

Old 10-01-2012, 05:58 PM

Just an update for those of you keeping track at home.

So I just got my annual property tax bill from the City of San Diego today and I was SHOCKED to see that my Mello Roos CFD #2 actually DECREASED from last year's bill by the tune of over $900!

I figured that the bond must have been refinanced at a lower interest rate. That could be the only explanation in the back of my mind. So I called in to the administrator to confirm that the bond got refinanced at a lower rate. Sure enough, the customer service agent confirmed that the bond got refinanced last year at a lower interest rate, thereby reducing the annual payments for CFD #2. She said the CFD #2 is still scheduled to be paid off in the year 2030.

I'm sending off to get an exact payoff balance. The procedures for that are to send in a $500 check to this address below:

David Taussig & Associates
5000 Birch Street, Suite #6000
Newport Beach, CA 92660

You need to send in a $500 check made payable to the entity listed above. Also, include your Parcel # and request for a payoff quote for CFD #2.

They said they will send in the pay off balance within a week or so. The $500 will be deducted from the pay off amount.

It's refreshing to hear about them taking advantage of the low interest environment and refinancing this bond at a lower rate. Good to know not everyone is as reckless as Poway!

Old 10-01-2012, 06:50 PM

1,447 posts, read 2,744,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earlyretirement View Post
Just an update for those of you keeping track at home.

So I just got my annual property tax bill from the City of San Diego today and I was SHOCKED to see that my Mello Roos CFD #2 actually DECREASED from last year's bill by the tune of over $900!

I figured that the bond must have been refinanced at a lower interest rate. That could be the only explanation in the back of my mind. So I called in to the administrator to confirm that the bond got refinanced at a lower rate. Sure enough, the customer service agent confirmed that the bond got refinanced last year at a lower interest rate, thereby reducing the annual payments for CFD #2. She said the CFD #2 is still scheduled to be paid off in the year 2030.

I'm sending off to get an exact payoff balance. The procedures for that are to send in a $500 check to this address below:

David Taussig & Associates
5000 Birch Street, Suite #6000
Newport Beach, CA 92660

You need to send in a $500 check made payable to the entity listed above. Also, include your Parcel # and request for a payoff quote for CFD #2.

They said they will send in the pay off balance within a week or so. The $500 will be deducted from the pay off amount.

It's refreshing to hear about them taking advantage of the low interest environment and refinancing this bond at a lower rate. Good to know not everyone is as reckless as Poway!
Yes, very refreshing. Also shows good governance that they would take the initiative to do this and to apply that $500 to the payoff.

I guess they require the $500 to make sure they get only serious payoff inquiries.

Old 10-01-2012, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Yes, very refreshing. Also shows good governance that they would take the initiative to do this and to apply that $500 to the payoff.

I guess they require the $500 to make sure they get only serious payoff inquiries.

Yes, that's why they require you to send a check for $500. I guess they don't want to fool around with people that aren't serious about it. The Poway CFD #4 they only charge $100 but they also apply that payment towards the payoff so you're not out anything if you prepay it.

Also, just a correction. It didn't go down $900 in the past year. It's gone down $550 from last year and $900 over the past 2 years. I mistakenly was looking at an old property tax bill from the 2010/2011 year. So it looks like the CFD #2 has actually decreased the past two years in a row. And the Poway CFD #4 has indeed gone up the maximum 2% each of the past few years.

Last edited by earlyretirement; 10-01-2012 at 07:54 PM..

Old 10-01-2012, 10:58 PM

Also, this is a good link that has all the documents for the various PUSD Mello Roos CFD tax bonds. Lots and lot of information there.

CalifoniaTax Data

Old 10-02-2012, 07:44 AM

50,268 posts, read 47,023,439 times
Quote:

How bad would that suck. You work your butt off to retire and BAM that bond kicks in.

Old 11-20-2012, 08:01 AM

Just an update for those interested in prepaying off their Mello Roos. I went ahead and paid off both CFD's. It will be a good feeling not to have to worry about paying Mello Roos anymore in the future.

I realize it might not make sense for many families that don't know if they will be in their homes for the long haul but I definitely know we'll be here until the kids are out of high school so it seems like a no brainer to pay it off early.

I contacted David Taussig and Associates and sent them the $500 check and they were very quick to email me out a payoff quote breakdown a few days later. They had the name and address of the person to send the check to with the City of San Diego. The CFD #2 (Santaluz) came out to around $46,000. My CFD #4 (Poway Unified) came to around $15,000. Both entities emailed me to confirm they got the payment and won't have to deal with this again in the future.

Old 11-20-2012, 12:46 PM

9,822 posts, read 11,544,162 times
Good for you man congrats!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego