Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2012, 07:55 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,656,174 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04kL4nD View Post
My point is San Diego, although it has a large population, doesn't feel like a large urban city like SF, or most of the urbanized East Bay.
I don;t really find the older more urban parts of SD to feel that different than Oak or Berkeley. SF sure but not the east bay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2012, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurbanite View Post
It's absurd to think that the reaction to a death of a cyclist in SD is that much different than what would happen in Oakland.
Cyclists and pedestrians get hit and killed up here all the time, especially in SF, and the reaction isn't any different. Does Gentoo really think people here put up some bike memorial with a sign every time a cyclist is killed? Get real, the reaction isn't any different up here.

The vast majority of the Bay Area is pretty suburban and like SD in many ways, I think people who don't leave their SF/Berkeley/Oakland bubble tend to forget that.

Old 04-18-2012, 04:56 AM

35 posts, read 67,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
The whole "sizing up" thing I never experienced, I never found people to stare at you unless you stared at them. That whole part of your story I think is pretty weird and I really can't think of an explanation unless you stood out like a sore thumb for some reason.
I'm kind of wondering if the OP isn't being overly sensitive, maybe because he had unrealistic expectations about SD. Speaking for myself, normally when I'm out and about, I don't really spend time even looking around to see whether anyone is staring at me. If they are, good for them. I'm usually more focused on getting where I'm trying to go, or talking with whoever I'm with.

Old 04-18-2012, 11:05 AM

8,357 posts, read 25,240,720 times
Quote:
Cyclists and pedestrians get hit and killed up here all the time, especially in SF, and the reaction isn't any different. Does Gentoo really think people here put up some bike memorial with a sign every time a cyclist is killed? Get real, the reaction isn't any different up here.

The vast majority of the Bay Area is pretty suburban and like SD in many ways, I think people who don't leave their SF/Berkeley/Oakland bubble tend to forget that.
Well, bicycling in general and bicycle culture as a whole is far more prominent around the Bay Area than it is in San Diego. I'm not saying that it does not exist in SD, but just that it only exists in a lesser degree. Southern California is simply way more car-centric. Someone from the East Bay is more likely to bike 5 miles to work everyday where as someone from SD is more likely to drive to the local 7-11 that is three blocks from their house. Of course that is an exaggeration, but considering that the Bay has tons more commuter cyclists, bike-messengers (and host of national conventions/events relating to the culture), Critical Mass, hipsters and their fixed gears, etc. than SD will probably ever have it's not too far of a stretch.

Old 04-18-2012, 11:16 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,390,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
Well, bicycling in general and bicycle culture as a whole is far more prominent around the Bay Area than it is in San Diego. I'm not saying that it does not exist in SD, but just that it only exists in a lesser degree. Southern California is simply way more car-centric. Someone from the East Bay is more likely to bike 5 miles to work everyday where as someone from SD is more likely to drive to the local 7-11 that is three blocks from their house. Of course that is an exaggeration, but considering that the Bay has tons more commuter cyclists, bike-messengers (and host of national conventions/events relating to the culture), Critical Mass, hipsters and their fixed gears, etc. than SD will probably ever have it's not too far of a stretch.
Thank you, that was my point and anyone who pays attention in either place can clearly see that. Ah the ignore feature is a wonderful thing LOL

Old 04-18-2012, 11:37 AM

5,291 posts, read 12,739,493 times
Quote:

For someone to imply that San Diegans react differently to a pedestrian/cyclist being killed is just ridiculous. And yes, once you are outside of the areas you mentioned, it's very much like SD.

Old 04-18-2012, 12:10 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,897,405 times
Quote:
This is so true- you would think that San Diego would have a far more prominent bike culture with its modest topography and perfect weather but other than the ubiquitous Tri trainers and riding clubs in North County and a few die-hard commuters it is mostly considered borderline subversive to our car culture here.

Insert- "Those damn bicyclists rolling through 4-Way stop signs! (on their right of way)" here.

As if about every single one of us driving always, completely stops at clear, 4-Way stop signs, sheesh. Get it over it people, it they aren't violating your right of way don't get your panties in a bunch.
(not excusing bicyclists, or motorists who do violate other's right of way)

You would think that bicycling in San Francisco would be downright suicidal but actually I've found it far easier and friendlier than SD- the density of traffic and the more complex matrix of vehicles makes a bicyclist fit right in with everyone else going about 12-20mph.

I do love the fact that bicyclists down here almost always choose my neighborhood to traverse or host urban riding events through- Tour de Fat, Critical Mass, Tweed Ride, freaking out more than a few uptight motorists- although with the demise of Velo Cult I imagine that presence will be unfortunately reduced.

The OP is overreacting a bit, lots of people drive like A-Holes down here, some creepy people stare you once in a while- get over it or give 'em stink eye back.

Old 04-18-2012, 12:16 PM

Quote:
I don't think it's as prominent as you make it out to be, like with many groups in the Bay Area they just tend to be very vocal and outspoken. I'm sure the reaction is different within the bike community, which is bigger in the Bay Area, but we are still talking about less than 2% of the population that actually bikes to work. That's a pretty insignificant amount of people imo.

A lot of people in the Bay Area don't even like bicyclists because of how reckless and arrogant many are. Just look at the reaction from that bicyclist that hit and killed a pedestrian in SF recently.

Old 04-18-2012, 12:46 PM

5,291 posts, read 12,739,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Damon View Post
This is so true- you would think that San Diego would have a far more prominent bike culture with its modest topography and perfect weather but other than the ubiquitous Tri trainers and riding clubs in North County and a few die-hard commuters it is mostly considered borderline subversive to our car culture here.

Insert- "Those damn bicyclists rolling through 4-Way stop signs! (on their right of way)" here.

As if about every single one of us driving always, completely stops at clear, 4-Way stop signs, sheesh. Get it over it people, it they aren't violating your right of way don't get your panties in a bunch.
(not excusing bicyclists, or motorists who do violate other's right of way)

You would think that bicycling in San Francisco would be downright suicidal but actually I've found it far easier and friendlier than SD- the density of traffic and the more complex matrix of vehicles makes a bicyclist fit right in with everyone else going about 12-20mph.

I do love the fact that bicyclists down here almost always choose my neighborhood to traverse or host urban riding events through- Tour de Fat, Critical Mass, Tweed Ride, freaking out more than a few uptight motorists- although with the demise of Velo Cult I imagine that presence will be unfortunately reduced.

The OP is overreacting a bit, lots of people drive like A-Holes down here, some creepy people stare you once in a while- get over it or give 'em stink eye back.
San Diego definitely has plenty of room for improvement in regards to becoming more bike-friendly. The good thing is that there seems to be a movement for change in the community, and even one of the mayoral candidates is on board with the idea. A bike sharing system would be awesome.

I'm sure you've notice all of the new sharrows on many of of streets in the central part of city? It's gives me a bit more comfort seeing them when I'm biking from my house to Balboa Park or Downtown.

Two great local biking websites worth checking out:

Bike San Diego

San Diego County Bicycle Coalition Home

Old 04-18-2012, 06:53 PM

6,416 posts, read 8,278,655 times
Quote:

Maybe YOU feel that way, but I totally disagree.

The only parts of the Bay Area that remind me of SD are the outer East Bay (Walnut Creek, Dublin, San Ramon, etc), and that's mostly because of the weather and suburban character. Mayyyybe you could argue that North Park reminds you of Berkeley or Alameda, but I can't think of anywhere else in the Bay Area that feels like SD.

If you think Hayward, Union City, San Leandro, Richmond, etc are anything like the majority of SD (let's ignore the 'urban' part of SD that everyone keeps talking about: downtown and central SD), I've got a bridge to sell you.

You can try and say they're similar all you want, but that's just your perception. Ask most people who've lived in both places and they'll tell you how dissimilar they really are.

I actually like SD AND Oakland, so it's not like I have an axe to grind here. You obviously don't like Oakland or the East Bay, which is why you try to bash either whenever you get the chance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego