Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-16-2007, 04:16 PM

6 posts, read 64,507 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone! I am soon to be moving to Lakeside, from Ohio, and I was wondering what types of bugs/pests there are there. Here we have the usualy house spiders (harmless spiders that just hang out in corners and such), and cockroaches (usually found in abandoned buildings and dirty areas), and then teh usual ants and misc bugs. I do not think tha anywhere around the residential areas here there are any bugs/pests to be worried about as far as poisonous reasons.
So...what is there to worry about in SD? I just read a post (not sure how old it was) abotu spiders (black widows, brown something or other, etc)....can someone please let me know what I will be dealign with and if these pests like to come in houses/apartments, or if they just leave you alone). I guess I am just trying to get some info on what to expect so I can do my research so I can identify the dangerous ones if need be (poisonous spiders and such).

I am renting an apartment building, and I cant imagine there is much I can do to prevent the bugs/pests from getting into my apartment, but any opinions or advice would be appreciated.

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2007, 01:05 AM
SDF

52 posts, read 245,737 times
Brown Recluse and Black Widow Spiders are certainly a poisonous concern, but other varieties such as the Daddy Long Legs are beneficial to have in the house.

Roaches (up to maybe 1.5"), Ants, and Flies can be quite annoying if you don't take proper precautionary measures, like not leaving food out, and taking out the trash ASAP. Keeping them under control isn't normally too difficult though.. but it depends on where you live and the upkeep of your lodging...

Old 09-18-2007, 11:55 AM

17 posts, read 55,692 times
Ants, roaches and spiders - the little argentine ants are the worst - took care of them with a specialty gel - the rest are simple enough to control. I wouldn't worry too much. Of course, if you live further out, you will have more 'wild' things to contend with

Old 09-18-2007, 12:29 PM
SDF

52 posts, read 245,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jridg View Post
Ants, roaches and spiders - the little argentine ants are the worst - took care of them with a specialty gel - the rest are simple enough to control. I wouldn't worry too much. Of course, if you live further out, you will have more 'wild' things to contend with
jridg: just curious, but what type of gel were you using? One time I found an ant gel, I think it was from Raid, at Walmart and it worked flawlessly. They'd come up and eat it like pigs on a trough, then within a day the overflowing lines of ants were history. It was in sort of a tube with an injectable syringe-like mechanism. Went back and Walmart, of all places, wasn't carrying it anymore

Old 09-19-2007, 08:41 PM

616 posts, read 3,004,278 times
I'm surprised no one mentioned termites. They are a big pest for all of the destruction they cause. San Diego has dry wood and subterranean termites.

Ants are definitely a nuisance. Once we came home from camping and had a trail of ants going to the freezer. Opened the freezer and saw a big pile of dead ones. Yuck! It so happens that we also got invaded by ants while camping. We swore it was a coordinated attack!

Saw plenty of black widows. Never saw a brown recluse. I guess they were just being too reclusive (tounge in cheek).

Roaches in some areas. Hate the nasty critters! They were big too.

June bugs can be annoying in the spring, but aren't harmful.

Wasps were plentiful as well. Had many paper wasp nests in our attic. Even some mud wasp nests in the eaves.

I guess you can also add skunks to the list of pests.

Last edited by gpraceman; 09-19-2007 at 08:49 PM..

Old 09-21-2007, 07:15 PM

6,023 posts, read 14,061,575 times
I grew up in S.D. and the fleas there are awful. No fleas here in Montana and here is where I'll stay !

Old 09-23-2007, 09:38 PM

74 posts, read 370,935 times
Notice no one said anything about mosquitos or black flies. For most areas of San Diego there isn't any standing water so no mosquitos, gnats, or black flies. If you have a dog or cat then fleas are going to be a real pain.

Old 09-23-2007, 10:41 PM

616 posts, read 3,004,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roger9552 View Post
Notice no one said anything about mosquitos or black flies. For most areas of San Diego there isn't any standing water so no mosquitos, gnats, or black flies. If you have a dog or cat then fleas are going to be a real pain.
Used to live over by Santee Lakes. We'd definitely get mosquitos. Gnats some. Black flies not so much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego