Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2012, 10:55 AM

12 posts, read 27,134 times

Advertisements

Hi! My husband recently got a job offer just south of Miramar. We are looking to buy a home in a safe area, with good schools (we have two elementary age children), and around 2,000 sq. ft. for under $450,000. Are we dreaming? Does such an area exist? We like Scripps Ranch, but those homes are outside our price range unfortunately. We are originally from L.A. So traffic doesn't scare us too much. We just want to be sure our kids are safe and getting a good education. Any input would be great!! Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2012, 08:37 AM

3,483 posts, read 6,263,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by organicmamato2 View Post
Hi! My husband recently got a job offer just south of Miramar. We are looking to buy a home in a safe area, with good schools (we have two elementary age children), and around 2,000 sq. ft. for under $450,000. Are we dreaming? Does such an area exist? We like Scripps Ranch, but those homes are outside our price range unfortunately. We are originally from L.A. So traffic doesn't scare us too much. We just want to be sure our kids are safe and getting a good education. Any input would be great!! Thanks so much!
Good move, were trying as well to leave here. Poway, Ranch Bernardo,

Old 04-23-2012, 09:32 AM

6,420 posts, read 11,594,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmd69 View Post
Good move, were trying as well to leave here. Poway, Ranch Bernardo,
Rancho Penasquitos

"just south of Miramar" sounds like Kearny Mesa. That's San Diego Unified School District, whose schools are hit-or-miss. If you're willing to deal with that, then add Tierrasanta, Serra Mesa, and Clairmont to the list of neighborhoods to consider.

Poway and RB and RP are all in the Poway Unified School District, which has consistently good schools.

Old 04-23-2012, 11:15 AM

5,139 posts, read 8,848,721 times
You'll find that neighborhoods in SD County can vary dramatically in what they have to offer...I always suggest renting for a year so you have time to really explore before buying and not regret such a large purchase.

Old 04-23-2012, 11:52 AM

9,824 posts, read 11,546,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by organicmamato2 View Post
We just want to be sure our kids are safe and getting a good education. Any input would be great!! Thanks so much!
Maybe think about moving farther south.
Clairemont Mesa,Serra Mesa,Linda Vista,Santee,Allied Gardens,Rolando,Lemon Grove,La Mesa,El Cajon are all pretty close to Miramar And offer good schools and affordable housing.
Just because you got approved for 450k doesn't mean you have to pay 450k!
Pay less and send the kids to private school if you have too.

Old 04-23-2012, 02:29 PM

2,698 posts, read 12,173,076 times
We bought our ~2000 sq ft 4 bdrm house in Poway as a short sale for about $435K, so it's definitely possible. I second (or third, or whatever) PUSD neighborhoods as the go-to area if you're main concern is schools. Unfortunately, that puts you with traffic, but it still shouldn't take more than a half hour or so from Miramar to Poway area.

Mike

Old 04-23-2012, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboyslo View Post
We bought our ~2000 sq ft 4 bdrm house in Poway as a short sale for about $435K, so it's definitely possible.
just out curiosity how long did it take for the shortsale to go though!

The reason I ask is because i have friend that has put in 2 bids in the poway area.
In both cases his bids was the highest,but the bank took lower cash offers
Did you guys come across that?

Old 04-23-2012, 03:38 PM

2,698 posts, read 12,173,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitman619 View Post
just out curiosity how long did it take for the shortsale to go though!

The reason I ask is because i have friend that has put in 2 bids in the poway area.
In both cases his bids was the highest,but the bank took lower cash offers
Did you guys come across that?
Ours was a little different in that there was a buyer lined up, but he/she backed out at the last second. We stepped in, agreed to the exact same terms, and closed all in a little over a month. That's basically unheard of for a short sale, but like I said, ours was a bit different.

As for the bank taking a lower offer, I have heard of sales going to those able to put more money down even if the selling price is a bit lower. It's a less risky proposition for both the bank and the seller that the sale will go through.

Mike

Old 04-23-2012, 03:51 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,274,083 times
Quote:
Ours was a little different in that there was a buyer lined up, but he/she backed out at the last second. We stepped in, agreed to the exact same terms, and closed all in a little over a month. That's basically unheard of for a short sale, but like I said, ours was a bit different.

As for the bank taking a lower offer, I have heard of sales going to those able to put more money down even if the selling price is a bit lower. It's a less risky proposition for both the bank and the seller that the sale will go through.

Mike
Mike,

I agree. We had this when putting offers in for our 2nd property. It was a SS and there were multiple offers on the house. We were putting much more than 20% and the leverage it gave us, plus financials when we submitted the package put us in front of the line vs the other offers which were VA, FHA or below 20% conforming. Some of the other buyers with other offers either left for greener pastures or tried to play blackjack to see if we would get out.

There are other things in play to when it comes to SS's. Is there a negotiator involved? What we saw was that it was almost a first come first served basis if the offers were solid. Remember that a short sale doesnt exist until a package is submitted FIRST. Then the bank has to agree to it. Anything after that first offer really kicks things off and gets the ball rolling. Hence the lower listing prices to generate interest.
Its brutal out there.

Old 04-23-2012, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Mike
Thats pretty cool
I always hear and have seen a couple of horror stories when dealing with short sales in San Diego

Quote:
Originally Posted by shmoov_groovzsd View Post
Mike,
We were putting much more than 20% and the leverage it gave us, plus financials when we submitted the package put us in front of the line vs the other offers which were VA, FHA or below 20% conforming.
At the end of the day money talks an BS walks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego