Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2012, 07:23 PM

23 posts, read 113,618 times

Advertisements

We will be relocating to the San Diego area soon for my job. My job is in north chula vista around the intersection of hwy 5 & the 25 (Bay Frwy). We are looking at living in the north region, around Del Mar. For a regular Monday to Friday 8:00 to 5:00 job how long of a commute would this be each way? I know google maps isn't calculating traffic with their time.

My second question is has real estate hit bottom in the area yet or is it still declining? Don't want to buy if prices are dropping.

Thank you all for the help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2012, 08:04 PM

20,834 posts, read 17,102,752 times
Tough commute Del Mar to Chula. Both Ways.

If you're not set on Del Mar you may think Poway or Scripps Ranch. Easy on easy off.

Sales are picking up. There is not a lot of inventory. Homes have multiple bids.

If you want pm me.

Old 04-28-2012, 08:25 AM

1,471 posts, read 3,339,744 times
That's a brutal commute! You might want to rent short term before buying. It is very true inventory is low and thus there are multiple bids at list price for properties that are competitevely priced BUT prices are still not going up over all. From my research prices will probably remain stable, or perhaps dip lower for the next year (at least). Some of this is due to the crackdown on lending. Sellers that are goofy/greedy about pricing can lose a deal if the home does not appraise....and it won't unless the comps warrant it. The days are gone of homes always appraising for bid price. If you buy a house now without knowing the area, and decide to sell because you find an area you like better, it could be years before you could even break even. I think you will have time to move here and then explore before prices go up. Also more forclosures are coming which will mean more inventory and lower prices.

Old 04-28-2012, 08:40 AM

5,024 posts, read 7,575,311 times
Don't buy property till you've lived here for awhile. Renting is a hassle but it takes time to learn this city.

Old 04-28-2012, 08:47 AM

4,630 posts, read 10,274,962 times
Totally agree with Clevelandgal and cruitr here as usual.

San Diego real estate is tricky if you dont know the local market for buying a home for various reasons.
Unless you know coming into it what your budget is, it is wiser to rent your first year.

Old 04-28-2012, 09:57 AM

2,299 posts, read 4,826,881 times
We're returning to the San Diego area soon and intend to purchase in a year, so we're looking in Chula Vista's Eastlake/Otay Ranch. From our research, that area has more of an inventory of decent homes in a price range that will allow us to pay cash or at least have a smaller mortgage with our down payment. We're going to rent first in order to take our time and decide if we actually like living in South County.

Since you are going to be working in North Chula Vista, you might want to take a good look at that area as well.

Old 04-28-2012, 12:15 PM

1,300 posts, read 2,025,432 times
I would say your commute is going to be over an hour due to traffic. You would be right in the thick of it on the I-5 corridor southbound from Del Mar into Sorrento Valley and the "merge". Your going to hit downtown traffic as well. Same coming home at night.

If you are looking for an upscale beach community like Del Mar, La Jolla may shave about 20 minutes off the commute and Coronado would get you there in less than a half hour.

Old 04-28-2012, 04:31 PM

7,379 posts, read 12,670,445 times
I concur about Coronado. You wouldn't have to cross the bridge to get to I-5, just go south along Silver Strand. If proximity to the beach isn't all that important, take a look at Bonita--there are very nice areas there. And of course Del Cerro or Mt. Helix if you want views, beautiful homes, and easy access to I-8 and I-125.

Timely article in the UT: Have SD housing prices hit bottom?
http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2012/...sd-hit-bottom/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego