Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2016, 08:56 PM

1,271 posts, read 2,593,769 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by the topper View Post
Very few high flying tech companies. Some of the established companies are struggling like Qualcomm.
ViaSat has around 200+ positions listed for the Carlsbad location, also plenty of Medical Device companies hiring in and around the area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2016, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurbanite View Post
The sunshine tax applies mostly when comparing SD to other high cost cities like Boston, NYC, Seattle, Bay Area and DC. You will never find any sources showing average salaries are higher in places like Atlanta, Dallas, Cleveland or Phoenix. But if you can, please post them here.
I saw some very high salaries for Minneapolis in the past, thing is you have to like to the cold to live there.

Atlanta, depends, I made more in Miami that Atlanta but my rent at the time was only $700/month for a brand new 2/2 just outside the perimeter on the northside near the 400. I looked at the place the other day, $900/month, but GA has 6% state income tax. Also car insurance was 1/2 of what it was in Miami.

GA has a big advantage, they build lot's of housing, too much, much like Texas, lot's of land and little restriction, but a crappy infrastructure which results in horrible traffic.

Old 01-25-2016, 09:14 PM

5,291 posts, read 12,739,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blauskies View Post
The document you linked only focuses on one part of STEM related positions, seems mainly per IT, does not really go into other Tech, Hardware Enginering, Electrical, or Medical Device.
The link I shared a few months ago from Bloomberg has some good stuff. The interactive map shows that SD ranks 13th out of 100 for average STEM salaries. And the percentage of people with STEM jobs looks to be above average also at 9.3%

The Unlikely Cities That Will Power the U.S. Economy

So far we look pretty good on paper

Old 01-25-2016, 09:23 PM

5,291 posts, read 12,739,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blauskies View Post
I saw some very high salaries for Minneapolis in the past, thing is you have to like to the cold to live there.

Atlanta, depends, I made more in Miami that Atlanta but my rent at the time was only $700/month for a brand new 2/2 just outside the perimeter on the northside near the 400. I looked at the place the other day, $900/month, but GA has 6% state income tax. Also car insurance was 1/2 of what it was in Miami.

GA has a big advantage, they build lot's of housing, too much, much like Texas, lot's of land and little restriction, but a crappy infrastructure which results in horrible traffic.
The average pay in Minneapolis is about the same as here, if not a bit higher in some areas. I actually like MSP but that winter is too harsh for me.

Found another tech salary survey from Dice, and it's pretty much the same cities on at the top.

http://marketing.dice.com/pdf/Dice_T...urvey_2015.pdf

Old 01-26-2016, 12:49 AM

1,175 posts, read 1,912,731 times
Nothing like listing a survey from RH as proof of something. I mean it's not like they were ever busted for doctoring resumes or posting tons of fake ghost jobs. Oh wait... And dice.. lets not even go there.

I trust this site far more than RH or Dice to give me legit results.

https://www.nerdwallet.com/blog/citi...ech-jobs-2015/

And on a site that actually does real analysis and analytics, San Diego is rated 90th.

Old 01-26-2016, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro2000 View Post
Nothing like listing a survey from RH as proof of something. I mean it's not like they were ever busted for doctoring resumes or posting tons of fake ghost jobs. Oh wait... And dice.. lets not even go there.

I trust this site far more than RH or Dice to give me legit results.

https://www.nerdwallet.com/blog/citi...ech-jobs-2015/

And on a site that actually does real analysis and analytics, San Diego is rated 90th.
Those median rental rates are inaccurate.

San Jose-Sunnyvale-Santa Clara, CA $1,640.00

Old 01-26-2016, 06:57 AM

Quote:
The link I shared a few months ago from Bloomberg has some good stuff. The interactive map shows that SD ranks 13th out of 100 for average STEM salaries. And the percentage of people with STEM jobs looks to be above average also at 9.3%

Seems to still be focused on only a piece of STEM, do not see a lot of sectors factored in. I can tell you the averages for some areas I have lived are not that high.

Old 01-26-2016, 02:46 PM

1,052 posts, read 798,573 times
Quote:

Here's another look at local salaries in the the tech industries. Apparently SD is only behind the Bay Area in salaries in science and engineering. I suspect that most people who complain about low salaries are struggling themselves to achieve a high salary.

http://www.sandiegobusiness.org/site...Diego_2016.pdf

Old 01-26-2016, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprez33 View Post
Here's another look at local salaries in the the tech industries. Apparently SD is only behind the Bay Area in salaries in science and engineering. I suspect that most people who complain about low salaries are struggling themselves to achieve a high salary.

Medians, #3 San Diego $88,600 / $71,590

That's quite dismal with respect to the high cost of living, I knew people making that in Miami and they struggled, $90K is more doable with the lack of a state income tax.

Old 01-26-2016, 07:12 PM

9,526 posts, read 30,477,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprez33 View Post

Exactly, it's because they don't have advanced science and engineering degrees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego