Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2012, 01:59 PM

2,299 posts, read 4,826,881 times

Advertisements

[quote=tonyinsd;24103399]This is just a tactic real estate agents use to jack up the price of properties in areas that are not as desirable as they'd like.

For example, as a property owner in Bethesda, MD, I laugh my butt off at the poseurs saying they live in "North Bethesda." No. The northern part of Bethesda has a zip code of 20814. What the realtors called "North Bethesda" was really Rockville and had the zip code for Rockville.

They did the same thing with "North Potomac, MD." Again, doesn't exist. Potomac's zip was 20854 and "North Potomac" had a different zip.

The only people who fell for it were suckers who didn't know any better. When I was looking for property, and a realtor tried to use the North Bethesda line on me, I asked her how long she lived in the area. She told me a few years. I told her I grew up in the area and I knew there was no such thing as North Bethesda and if she didn't cut it out, I'd find another realtor.[/quote]

Man, you're tough!

I know what you mean though, I've lived in the DC area off and on between 1974 and 2005 and would make fun of the North Bethesda moniker too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2012, 02:34 PM

50,288 posts, read 47,043,365 times
Cherokee Park ? I've never heard of that one.

Old 05-29-2012, 05:11 PM

15,129 posts, read 32,326,222 times
I live in City Heights but have a North Park zip code. When vacancies are advertised, they say North Park, since City Heights is technically an undesirable area.

Old 05-29-2012, 05:30 PM

788 posts, read 1,877,254 times
[quote=MovingAloha;24511988]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyinsd View Post
This is just a tactic real estate agents use to jack up the price of properties in areas that are not as desirable as they'd like.

For example, as a property owner in Bethesda, MD, I laugh my butt off at the poseurs saying they live in "North Bethesda." No. The northern part of Bethesda has a zip code of 20814. What the realtors called "North Bethesda" was really Rockville and had the zip code for Rockville.

They did the same thing with "North Potomac, MD." Again, doesn't exist. Potomac's zip was 20854 and "North Potomac" had a different zip.

The only people who fell for it were suckers who didn't know any better. When I was looking for property, and a realtor tried to use the North Bethesda line on me, I asked her how long she lived in the area. She told me a few years. I told her I grew up in the area and I knew there was no such thing as North Bethesda and if she didn't cut it out, I'd find another realtor.[/quote]

Man, you're tough!

I know what you mean though, I've lived in the DC area off and on between 1974 and 2005 and would make fun of the North Bethesda moniker too.

We actually have this in San Diego! I can't stand how many refer to the UTC area as La Jolla, especially students. IT'S NOT LA JOLLA. "La Jolla Colony", "Regents La Jolla", "La Jolla International Gardens" are not in La Jolla! If it's east of the 5, it's university city. Apartment complexes just want the name to charge extra for the boring community of North University City.

Old 05-29-2012, 06:58 PM

1,665 posts, read 2,975,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhanifin View Post
Apartment complexes just want the name to charge extra for the boring community of North University City.
Exactly. They aren't stupid. They know if they stick a prestige address in there, they can charge more.

The zip for UTC is 92122. For La Jolla, it's 92037.

Don't get fooled, people!

Old 05-29-2012, 07:09 PM

1,996 posts, read 4,770,445 times
Blame the gentrification crisis that has plagued North Park and now my beloved Normal Heights

The lame ass Realtor's are trying to label and make up names of certain neighborhoods by saying something trendy and hip so that it will appeal to White folks with money, that is the truth. They are almost saying that "Adams North" doesn't have "undesirables" like Mexican and Black people that will lower there property values and make the neighborhood look bad, or something to that nature

Pretty much anything considered "North" is safe and clean, while "South" is considered bad, and crime ridden, which generally is true in many cities in the US.

South San Diego, SouthEast SD, South Central LA, Southside Chicago etc.

Old 05-29-2012, 07:18 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,274,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyinsd View Post
Exactly. They aren't stupid. They know if they stick a prestige address in there, they can charge more.

The zip for UTC is 92122. For La Jolla, it's 92037.

Don't get fooled, people!
Yup this. The only zip code exceptions for the above are some condos and apartments north of La Jolla Village Dr around campus bordering west of Genessee.

Even then that is a tough sell being east of the 5 and falling in 92037.

Old 05-30-2012, 01:27 AM

788 posts, read 1,877,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shmoov_groovzsd View Post
Yup this. The only zip code exceptions for the above are some condos and apartments north of La Jolla Village Dr around campus bordering west of Genessee.

Even then that is a tough sell being east of the 5 and falling in 92037.
Ironically, those are the ugliest ones, with the exception of regents la jolla.

Old 05-30-2012, 09:43 AM

50,288 posts, read 47,043,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdlife619 View Post
Blame the gentrification crisis that has plagued North Park and now my beloved Normal Heights

The lame ass Realtor's are trying to label and make up names of certain neighborhoods by saying something trendy and hip so that it will appeal to White folks with money, that is the truth. They are almost saying that "Adams North" doesn't have "undesirables" like Mexican and Black people that will lower there property values and make the neighborhood look bad, or something to that nature

Pretty much anything considered "North" is safe and clean, while "South" is considered bad, and crime ridden, which generally is true in many cities in the US.

South San Diego, SouthEast SD, South Central LA, Southside Chicago etc.
Don't forget S La Jolla(PB) and S Coronado (IB).

Old 05-31-2012, 08:03 AM

1,996 posts, read 4,770,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Don't forget S La Jolla(PB) and S Coronado (IB).
Haha, oh yeah can't forget about Vato's/Hoods in IB , and the drunk fest/hit and runners in PB.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego