Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2012, 05:34 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,285,697 times

Advertisements

Anyone hear about this? The plant is slated to be built bordering Mission Trails Park, west of Santee Lakes.

Just thought I would throw this out there as an FYI in case anyone is looking at moving or buying real estate in this area.

Residents rally to stop the Santee Power Plant - San Diego, California News Station - KFMB Channel 8 - cbs8.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2012, 07:01 PM

5,024 posts, read 7,587,239 times
Looks like it's going to be a natural gas-powered plant. Is natural gas the current standard for electricity generation?

Old 05-04-2012, 09:30 AM

6,420 posts, read 11,609,224 times
I'm imagining all the fights about environmental issues, if it's bordering Mission Trails Park. Difficult to imagine someone even thinking about building a power plant there. Unless it's some sort of tax dodge ...

Old 05-04-2012, 09:42 AM

Check out the renderings of the plant. Its massive.

The website is somewhat archaic but it appears that the City of SD planning dept is involved in this somehow, not just the City of Santee.

Power Plant rendering and size | Stop the Santee Power Plant

Old 05-04-2012, 11:30 AM

1,201 posts, read 2,418,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruitr View Post
Looks like it's going to be a natural gas-powered plant. Is natural gas the current standard for electricity generation?
Natural gas plants are generally much easier to build than coal and nuclear due to relatively lighter regulations. As a result, California has mostly natural gas plants and hydro for baseload generation. However, natural gas is still a fossil fuel and isn't really "clean-burning" like their lobby and commercials would have you believe. With that said, there really are some amazing technologies available to significantly reduce fossil fuel emissions, so we shouldn't be completely afraid of them as long as they use the most up-to-date operational technologies on new plants.

It also looks like the Santee plant will not be operated 100% of the time, just primarily when additional generation is required (usually summer months) or other generation is not available (nighttime, the wind isn't blowing, etc.). Also on the plus side is that building a power plant brings a ton of temporary jobs to the area and operating a power plant provides a significant number of permanent jobs as well. Many of these folks are highly technical and well-paid too, which is generally good for the local economy.

Still, I'm not sure I'd want to see the stacks from my back yard or hear the turbines whirring...

Old 05-04-2012, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnar View Post
Natural gas plants are generally much easier to build than coal and nuclear due to relatively lighter regulations. As a result, California has mostly natural gas plants and hydro for baseload generation. However, natural gas is still a fossil fuel and isn't really "clean-burning" like their lobby and commercials would have you believe. With that said, there really are some amazing technologies available to significantly reduce fossil fuel emissions, so we shouldn't be completely afraid of them as long as they use the most up-to-date operational technologies on new plants.

It also looks like the Santee plant will not be operated 100% of the time, just primarily when additional generation is required (usually summer months) or other generation is not available (nighttime, the wind isn't blowing, etc.). Also on the plus side is that building a power plant brings a ton of temporary jobs to the area and operating a power plant provides a significant number of permanent jobs as well. Many of these folks are highly technical and well-paid too, which is generally good for the local economy.

Still, I'm not sure I'd want to see the stacks from my back yard or hear the turbines whirring...
According to the computer gen model, it does NOT look pretty. What I cant seem to figure out is why there vs another location?
Something doesnt seem to be adding up.

Old 05-04-2012, 11:45 AM

1,201 posts, read 2,418,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shmoov_groovzsd View Post
According to the computer gen model, it does NOT look pretty. What I cant seem to figure out is why there vs another location?
Something doesnt seem to be adding up.
Yeah, I would think it would be in a different location too. Maybe it lines up better with a particular grid or substation, or there is a signifcant water source nearby? Power plants typically require a lot of water for cooling and other auxilliary functions.

One fun thing is that the white "plumes of smoke" seen from the stacks of power plants are actually just water vapor. Any particulate matter emmitted is typically non-discernable to the naked eye, unless there are significant equipment problems or a gross operational failure.

Old 05-04-2012, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnar View Post
Yeah, I would think it would be in a different location too. Maybe it lines up better with a particular grid or substation, or there is a signifcant water source nearby? Power plants typically require a lot of water for cooling and other auxilliary functions.

One fun thing is that the white "plumes of smoke" seen from the stacks of power plants are actually just water vapor. Any particulate matter emmitted is typically non-discernable to the naked eye, unless there are significant equipment problems or a gross operational failure.
Thanks Ragnar,

Would aquifers qualify as a water source for this type of plant? I know for a fact that much of east county have water running underneath it. However, to my knowledge the quality of the water might require some level of specialized filtration or pH balancing to operate efficiently.

It also appears that this plant is right on the border of Santee but within the jurisdiction of City of SD limits. Clever.

Old 05-04-2012, 12:25 PM

6,420 posts, read 11,609,224 times
I wonder if it's hoping to use water from Santee Lakes.

Old 05-04-2012, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oddstray View Post
I wonder if it's hoping to use water from Santee Lakes.
I was wondering that too. But to my understanding that area is privately owned (not sure if its city owned or private) and I presume that includes the actual lake itself.

Its likely there is an underground water source nearby.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego