Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2007, 02:49 PM

11 posts, read 50,671 times

Advertisements

Hi

I just found out that in February my husband and I will be moving from Seattle to (probably) Hawaii or San Diego. I want to know the pros and cons of each. We're military so the cost of living isn't that much of an issue. I'm a media artist (animation/illustration) and I know that San Diego may be a better bet for me work-wise, am I right in this assumption? Also we are in our mid-twenties, laid-back with no kids, and are originally southerners from Louisiana. I'm just trying to figure out what place would be the best for us. I know for sure that I'll probably be happy in either place weather-wise; I HATE Seattle weather (too cold and gray). We would be stationed in Hawaii or San Diego for 3 years. I'd appreciate any comments/advice that would help us decide which place would suit us the best. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2007, 09:46 PM

52 posts, read 230,786 times
Ive lived in both, and quite frankly Hawaii isnt a very friendly place if youre not of polynesian descent...you will really only socialize with other mainlanders. "How long are you here for brah?" is all I got asked. Not to mention the humidity takes its toll on you.

Im currently in SD and couldnt be happier. So, I guess its obvious what my opinions are on this...

Old 09-20-2007, 02:06 PM

443 posts, read 2,134,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CassiePants View Post
Hi

I just found out that in February my husband and I will be moving from Seattle to (probably) Hawaii or San Diego. I want to know the pros and cons of each. We're military so the cost of living isn't that much of an issue. I'm a media artist (animation/illustration) and I know that San Diego may be a better bet for me work-wise, am I right in this assumption? Also we are in our mid-twenties, laid-back with no kids, and are originally southerners from Louisiana. I'm just trying to figure out what place would be the best for us. I know for sure that I'll probably be happy in either place weather-wise; I HATE Seattle weather (too cold and gray). We would be stationed in Hawaii or San Diego for 3 years. I'd appreciate any comments/advice that would help us decide which place would suit us the best. Thanks!
CinCHouse.com- The nonprofit community of military wives and women

someone on there could maybe give you better insight.
good luck!

Old 09-21-2007, 08:59 PM
SDF

52 posts, read 245,722 times
I'm an SD native, but went to high school all four years in Hawaii. It's beautiful there, but the daily grind becomes the daily grind no matter where you are. Empty beaches everywhere there (except maybe O'ahu) which is pretty nice. If you're white and going into high school like I was, sure there will be some jerks calling you a ha'ole and picking on you. Caucasian adults don't have too much problem at all with that kind of stuff. But in all truthfulness, SD is a far superior place overall, just my $0.02.

Old 09-23-2007, 10:43 PM

11 posts, read 50,671 times
Looks like it'll be a little longer than I thought until the move, but it's all still relevant so thanks for that insight

Old 03-01-2008, 04:52 PM

2 posts, read 9,304 times
Default Should I move to San Diego?

Hey man, can you tell me which place you decided on and are you happy there? Another Louisiana boy here trying to decide whether or not to move to San Diego. Thanks

Old 11-24-2008, 02:08 PM

1 posts, read 6,707 times
Whoever said that Hawaii is not a freindly place, you must have not been freindly yourself or you were stuck up. This is an Island, you have to know that people from Hawaii are very protective of it. And Polynesians are not the only ones who live in Hawaii and they are very freindly and helpful people, there are Asians, Caucasions, Hispanics etc, this is a multi-culture place. I am half white, half asian. So don't be discouraged from ignorant people who tells you otherwise. If you do move to Hawaii, I suggest that you just smile and say hello and just be laid back. I am from Hawaii and my husband met me in Hawaii he is from San Diego, he and his military friends who comes from all States that knows ME, MY FREINDS AND FAMILY call this their second home. So if you do move here, just be freindly and youwill find that the people here are the most freindliest and helpful people in the world. Oh try different foods dont be afraid they are very delicious

Old 11-24-2008, 02:21 PM

88 posts, read 301,192 times
nevermind this is an old thread......

Old 07-29-2011, 06:21 AM

2 posts, read 9,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CassiePants View Post
Hi

I have lived in HAWAII for FIVE years and i hate it there is no land and their are so many stuck up Hawaiians that live here... occasionally you'll meet a nice one here or there. But when i go to school it is constant badgering on how white i am (mostly by asians) there is a lot of japanese culture!!! if i were you i would never EVER move to hawaii... sure its a nice place to visit but you do NOT want to live here a lot of people get what is called as island sickness it is the feeling that you cant go any where that your trapped you are depressed, nautious, and sick... trust me go to san diego at least you can drive back if you want to visit reletives or something plane tickets from here to the mainland run over 2,000 for round trip.

Old 07-29-2011, 06:26 AM

2 posts, read 9,434 times
it is because you are part asian that you do not get the "looks" from them... they have a school where ONLY kids of hawaiian blood can get in...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
View detailed profiles of: