Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2012, 09:29 AM

2 posts, read 2,365 times

Advertisements

Hey, world!! My name is Mark and I'm a student at UCF in Orlando, FL. I'm going to graduate next May and I want to move to California, specifically San Diego.

What part of town should I look for an apartment in?
How can I find a job lined up so I can get out of here when I graduate? I want to do sales. Or really anything that will pay my bills!
What else should I consider?

Any info on San Diego that I need to know would be great. Thanks everyone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2012, 09:51 AM

2,986 posts, read 4,575,132 times
this will not go well

Old 05-11-2012, 10:09 AM

2 posts, read 2,365 times
What, this thread? Sorry if I come off immature. I just need to learn as much as I can. I want to get far, far away from Orlando.

Old 05-11-2012, 10:34 AM

4,498 posts, read 9,381,074 times
Take some time and go through the MANY posts of all the people that posts threads like yours. See all the answers.

Old 05-11-2012, 12:51 PM

2,536 posts, read 9,927,572 times
This is funny... I graduated from UCF in 2007 and moved to San Diego in 2009, so I did it!!

However, I had a pretty good amount of savings lined up as well as a money-producing freelance gig to hold me over until I got full-time employment in my field. Don't take this the wrong way -- but no one here cares about UCF as a school (or has even heard of it most of the time), so although it's a "good" school in FL, it doesn't mean much here in CA. Generally speaking, people here aren't typically aware of anything having to do with FL except The Keys or Walt Disney World.

Regardless, I could never ever in a million years see myself back in FL. I prefer it here immensely!

Last edited by thepinksquid; 05-11-2012 at 02:49 PM..

Old 05-14-2012, 09:41 AM

64 posts, read 117,625 times
I used to live in Jacksonville... FL is WAYYYYYY cheaper than living here in San Diego. It is definitely a different lifestyle too. Definitely don't come out here until you have a job and have planned your budget, know what you want, etc.

Why San Diego? It's a very expensive city.. maybe the way to go is to look for job opportunities in other cities outside of FL like you want but compare the cost of living first. Everyone wants to be here, but it is a struggle for many people ESPECIALLY new, inexperienced grads... shoot it's hard enough for people with job experience, masters degrees, Ph.D's!! See what else is out there before you commit to San Diego or bust. Good luck.

Old 05-14-2012, 06:54 PM

1,271 posts, read 2,592,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ma_henderson View Post
Hey, world!! My name is Mark and I'm a student at UCF in Orlando, FL. I'm going to graduate next May and I want to move to California, specifically San Diego.

What part of town should I look for an apartment in?
How can I find a job lined up so I can get out of here when I graduate? I want to do sales. Or really anything that will pay my bills!
What else should I consider?

Any info on San Diego that I need to know would be great. Thanks everyone!
What's your degree in? If you say Engineering I can tell you from my experience coming out of Miami where I'm currently living that you will find it hard to even get an interview in San Diego unless you live there already. Much like Florida, its' quite common to see local preference for jobs even if they are listed on places like Indeed or whatever. They just have a good talent pool in the state it seems and do not pay for relocation, if they do it's probably rare. I got hit with the "we don't offer relocation", so I had to put in my cover letter that I will be taking care of my own relocation expenses.

Outside of Florida it is true that nobody cares or about UF, UCF, Miami or FAU, don't take it personal even though I never met a UF grad that impressed me here lol, so at least you are not a Gator.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
View detailed profiles of: