Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2012, 01:52 PM

2,299 posts, read 4,826,881 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by virg1123 View Post
Looking into the Temecula area myself. I live in the midwest right now. I work in the medical field so I am hoping I wont have a problem finding a job in that area. I am 58 and recently widowed & I am praying I can make this move before the snow falls. Trying to do all this planning by myself because I can't share my dreams with my family members because they want me to move back to NJ with them NO Way...so I keep reading this forum hoping to get some insight about what I may be getting myself into I really am not afraid to do this, really...wish me luck
All the best to you! Just make sure you have savings to see you through the job wait (if there is a wait). Not sure where in the Midwest you are coming from, but Temecula is not Citified enough for me. If you like the more suburban feel and Sun, then you'll love Temecula.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2012, 02:36 PM

99 posts, read 162,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingAloha View Post
All the best to you! Just make sure you have savings to see you through the job wait (if there is a wait). Not sure where in the Midwest you are coming from, but Temecula is not Citified enough for me. If you like the more suburban feel and Sun, then you'll love Temecula.
I live in a small college town surrounded by farms...I really never lived in a Citified place before.. even growing up in NJ I lived in the country....Been away from there for some 17yrs soooo not sure how much countryside is left....I really really wanted to live in San Diego but thought that might be too big of a leap The savings would be only enough to last a year or so...had to refiance my house for medical bills soooo not much equity left...Hopefully I can get the ball rolling soon....I know I will rent Not sure if I could handle a house by myself...but thats ok with me as long as my doggie & I are happy thats all that matters Do you live in San Diego?

Old 05-21-2013, 07:27 AM

70 posts, read 100,875 times
Hey all, I wanted to resurrect this thread to check in on the current state of things in SD. Almost exactly one year later and our plans still haven't changed, except we have a bit more saved, our house is under contract, and I finish my degree in December. We plan to come out in the fall to explore some areas before our big move next spring.

How is the job market in San Diego doing these days? From checking out Indeed.com and Careerbuilder, it doesn't look like it has recovered. I work in website marketing, search engine optimization, and web development. Anyone with any insider knowledge on the market for jobs in this industry?

Has the housing recovery taken hold there as it has here in Kansas City? Houses in my neighborhood, are being scooped up quickly (including my own which took 6 days to go under contract).

Also, GMUAlum, if you are still on these boards, did you make the move? Any advice?

Old 05-21-2013, 10:22 AM

2,986 posts, read 4,577,410 times
I'm here. Moving in October. Moving some stuff out there next weekend

Old 05-21-2013, 10:37 AM

4,498 posts, read 9,384,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhox99 View Post
Hey all, I wanted to resurrect this thread to check in on the current state of things in SD. Almost exactly one year later and our plans still haven't changed, except we have a bit more saved, our house is under contract, and I finish my degree in December. We plan to come out in the fall to explore some areas before our big move next spring.

How is the job market in San Diego doing these days? From checking out Indeed.com and Careerbuilder, it doesn't look like it has recovered. I work in website marketing, search engine optimization, and web development. Anyone with any insider knowledge on the market for jobs in this industry?

Has the housing recovery taken hold there as it has here in Kansas City? Houses in my neighborhood, are being scooped up quickly (including my own which took 6 days to go under contract).

Also, GMUAlum, if you are still on these boards, did you make the move? Any advice?

Thanks for taking the time to post an update. It's always nice when people post updates how their move went. Too often, we don't get to hear any updates at all.

I think your game plan is smart to have waited and banked up more savings and it's great your house is under contract. Great that you will come out in the Fall to explore some areas. And you will come out with a college degree.

The job market is still in recovery mode. There are a handful of industries that are doing well but it's a tiny sliver compared to the overall job market. Fields like yours, website marketing are VERY competitive. Maybe there will be more opportunities on the web development side. But on the SEO side..... I'd have to believe that is a VERY competitive field. I get bombarded almost daily with emails from companies that do that.

Yes, the housing market is recovering very quickly here and there isn't much inventory. Prices have gone up quite a bit in the past 2 years and continuing to go up. I do however think there is going to be more and more inventory going on the market now that prices are higher and inventory is low.

Keep us posted with the move. Good luck.

Old 05-21-2013, 11:33 AM

57 posts, read 95,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhox99 View Post

Jhox99,

Here's a link to an article from UTSanDiego that shows who placed the most "help wanted" ads last month:

Who is hiring in San Diego? | UTSanDiego.com

Old 05-21-2013, 04:20 PM

67 posts, read 115,273 times
Default jobs in San Diego

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugsy View Post
There are plenty of jobs here if you know where to find them.
I was reading this thread, because also am thinking about relocating. Was wondering, Mugsy, about what your suggestions are for finding a job in the area.

Old 05-21-2013, 06:05 PM

1,175 posts, read 1,912,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shmoov_groovzsd View Post
Yeah, I know a few people that do the commute to the Poway/Rancho Bernardo area from Temecula. They totally admit that its not fun having to pop into the office, but they are able to telecommute most of the week.

From a COL standpoint, I think there are some great deals there for that type of environment. While, its not my cup o' tea personally for us as DINKs I can absolutely understand the allure. Its a straight up plug and play lifestyle in the tract communities.
I prefer the wine region where its a bit more country vs the house we bought in one of the tract communities.

There are some really smart people up there that are going to make this place shine from what I am seeing.

If a business really wants to set up in Southern CA and arent going to SD or LA, then there is a strong likelihood they will come here to set up shop. Like I said, its still cheap and can pull from either SD or LA talent wise. Its also cheap enough real estate wise to make it easier for transplants from other places to move there without as nasty of a sticker shock as some parts of SD that may be comparable in terms of schools, house sizes etc.
For large businesses, they either open up shop where the talent is or they open up in kansas city and offshore most of the work. There are tons of big corporations who have HQ and big offices in the midwest or even an hour or more outside of atlanta. Land is cheaper. And while they might not always find the most talent, half these companies hire contractors/consultants or offshore the work anyway.

I don't see a ton of big companies spending a fortune to save a few bucks in Temecula or Murrieta. If companies move, they'd move to Texas or elsewhere. Even the Biotech industry has slowed in San Diego as companies are opening up elsewhere or relocating.

As far as the OP... I would make sure you get a job or at least have some kind of offer. San diego isn't know to pay top salaries. So you might wind up making the same money in San Diego as you do in KC. And if your wife has a hard time finding a job, suddenly that 100K per year turns into 50K per year and the COL is far greater. I'd be certain you can find a job that pays what you need without your wife finding a job, otherwise you might get into trouble fast.

Old 05-21-2013, 06:46 PM

2,179 posts, read 4,988,815 times
Would you and your wife move here without jobs? Like others suggested, rent first. I have a friend who was a school counselor for San Diego Unified. She lost her job last year and is subbing. I think like 1 in 4 counselors got laid off. Also $41k for a school counselor in Kansas is actually pretty good. She probably would make just a bit more in San Diego by looking at the salary scales. Based off the cost of living and with even the higher people on the salary scale, I don't see how most people in education could afford to own unless they really had a lot saved up as a down payment, but with 2 incomes you could probably afford a small condo.

Old 05-21-2013, 06:56 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,274,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro2000 View Post
For large businesses, they either open up shop where the talent is or they open up in kansas city and offshore most of the work. There are tons of big corporations who have HQ and big offices in the midwest or even an hour or more outside of atlanta. Land is cheaper. And while they might not always find the most talent, half these companies hire contractors/consultants or offshore the work anyway.

I don't see a ton of big companies spending a fortune to save a few bucks in Temecula or Murrieta. If companies move, they'd move to Texas or elsewhere. Even the Biotech industry has slowed in San Diego as companies are opening up elsewhere or relocating.

As far as the OP... I would make sure you get a job or at least have some kind of offer. San diego isn't know to pay top salaries. So you might wind up making the same money in San Diego as you do in KC. And if your wife has a hard time finding a job, suddenly that 100K per year turns into 50K per year and the COL is far greater. I'd be certain you can find a job that pays what you need without your wife finding a job, otherwise you might get into trouble fast.
Wow zombie thread bump from a year ago

What businesses are you talking about Pedro? Certainly doesn't happen to the effect you are talking about in cellular. Sprint has their offices in KC, they definitely dont offshore anything.
Are you in IT? That sounds like software dev or big data warehousing you are talking about.

So if what you are saying is true, they open an hour outside of Atlanta like Alpharetta. Riverside is not much further from LA or SD. Maybe even slightly shorter considering the distance to Sorrento Valley. How is that any different?

We dont know exactly why Biotech has slowed in SD either. Could be lack of VC funding?

All I know about it up there, is they are not tied to the same COL restrictions and cost of land....yet. That SD and LA have right now. While this isnt an ace up the sleeve, it does make it more attractive for companies looking either to expand or move. Whether it happens is yet to be seen, but it is VERY possible for a city in CA to roll out the red carpet so to speak.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego