Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2012, 02:57 PM

81 posts, read 438,297 times

Advertisements

I find myself having to find a better climate to live in than the Pacific NW due to severe back osteoarthritis. I am pretty familiar with the "cons" for living there, but San Diego seems to be the number one spot recommended for people with this health condition.

I am not fond of big cities, and hate traffic congestion. I don't need to be near the beach as long as the weather is reasonable. I don't care for "super hot" and even 90's is more than I care for, but I may not have a choice.

Can anyone recommend areas with similar climate to San Diego without housing prices off the charts, and without all the crush of living right in San Diego? I am used to being in smallish towns, but like the convenience of being able to go shopping or to the doctors within a 20-30 minute drive.

I'm not crazy about moving to that area of the country, but I am having to look at all options in order to find a place where I feel better.

Thanks for any suggestions you could give me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2012, 05:31 PM

50,056 posts, read 46,553,810 times
There are no small towns near the beach that are cheap near San Diego or LA. You might want to look North of LA. Anything inland more than 5 miles can get blazing hot in the summer. You can live less expensive if you don't mind the hood. I know some that live in Baja.

Personally, I like Ramona.

Old 05-17-2012, 05:37 PM

6,418 posts, read 11,540,597 times
What are housing prices "off the charts", in your opinion?

Ramona's kind of far out there, and it gets hot in summer.

Here, I think the least expensive you'll find might be in the older parts of Rancho Penasquitos. It is inland, but has the advantage of being at the east end of Penasquitos canyon so does get some ocean breeze.

Or maybe somewhere in Imperial Beach? I don't know it well enough to say whether you can get less expensive housing there.

Old 05-17-2012, 05:56 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,232,264 times
Will humid conditions or dampness affect your arthritis? I would advise not living near the coast if this is the case.

1ATP is right, it tends to get warmer once you get past the 5 mile mark from the coast and in varying degrees (eg not all 10+ miles areas from the coast areas as hot as others)

What is expensive to you budgetwise?
What is bad traffic? The 405 is no joy ride in Seattle and its likely you wont find anything remotely close to that here. If you do, its definitely in the minority.

"Affordable" parts of Southern California can be found in Riverside County but it gets toasty for about 3-4 months during the day and cools off at night.
Try posting in that forum as well if you havent already.

Old 05-18-2012, 11:57 AM

Default Thanks everyone

After doing more research and also pulling up the pollution reports on "the state of the air" this area is totally out of the question for me.

And yes, to respond to one poster, it is the humidity and cold that aggravates osteoarthritis...apparently humidity and warm does not as both my DR and a website I found recommended San Diego as a good place to live if you have severe osteoarthritis...

Unfortunately, between the cost of living, housing, traffic and now the info I have on pollution, there is just no way I could/would move to this area.

My hubby suggested looking into San Diego further as he lived in CA 20+ years ago and loved it, but I have never been fond of CA, especially as a place to live given all the taxes, and other economic problems CA has...he saw some lower priced (300K) homes on a realty site and thought a move there might be doable, but I suspect that even though those homes looked nice, they likely were not in a "nice and safe" area...

Either way, pollution levels are pretty bad for many places in CA, so I am ruling the area out completely with the additional info you folks have provided. Due to the heat I would have to live close to the ocean, but economically I think that is out of the question. I don't want to spend more than 350K for a house, and it seems to me that to be in a nicer neighborhood it would cost more than that.

Thanks for your help

J

Old 05-18-2012, 12:47 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,806,179 times
Have you thought of Arizona....it gets really hot in the summer but it's not humid or cold otherwise...maybe also New Mexico. Palm Springs might be another option. Otherwise, hard to find places in the US that aren't either humid/cold or both.

Have you thought of the southeast? It's humid and warm there...

Old 05-18-2012, 03:27 PM

50,056 posts, read 46,553,810 times
What's wrong with renting?

Old 05-19-2012, 12:41 AM

1,029 posts, read 2,469,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wldgrdnr View Post
After doing more research and also pulling up the pollution reports on "the state of the air" this area is totally out of the question for me.

And yes, to respond to one poster, it is the humidity and cold that aggravates osteoarthritis...apparently humidity and warm does not as both my DR and a website I found recommended San Diego as a good place to live if you have severe osteoarthritis...

Unfortunately, between the cost of living, housing, traffic and now the info I have on pollution, there is just no way I could/would move to this area.

My hubby suggested looking into San Diego further as he lived in CA 20+ years ago and loved it, but I have never been fond of CA, especially as a place to live given all the taxes, and other economic problems CA has...he saw some lower priced (300K) homes on a realty site and thought a move there might be doable, but I suspect that even though those homes looked nice, they likely were not in a "nice and safe" area...

Either way, pollution levels are pretty bad for many places in CA, so I am ruling the area out completely with the additional info you folks have provided. Due to the heat I would have to live close to the ocean, but economically I think that is out of the question. I don't want to spend more than 350K for a house, and it seems to me that to be in a nicer neighborhood it would cost more than that.

Thanks for your help

J
I live here in zip 92154:

SDLookup.com | Nestor Houses

It is on a mesa 5 miles inland from the ocean. It does get a little bit windy sometimes, but temps range from mid 60's to mid 80's most of the year. But it does get a bit humid in the summer.

Temps can be in mid 40s in the winter late nights.

I think the Hispanic markets can be less expensive.

It is not super congested. I live within 1 mile of grocery stores and Kaiser. This area also has a preserved Otay Valley Park:

http://www.ovrp.org/viewImages.php

Of course, we are 5 miles from Mexico.

However, it is safe. This area is in the City and County of San Diego.

Not real upscale, just mostly older homes unless you go further east.

The streets have some potholes, there are a mixed bag of Hispanics, whites and other people, and no HOA's so not a perfectly groomed location.

I do not see many homeless here, and the police here do patrol a lot.

Been here 8 years, no issues.

I love the climate here. I do not have any medical issues though.

Old 05-19-2012, 03:24 AM

111 posts, read 326,827 times
Well i was going to suggest some areas to you but looks like you are only interested in buying and not renting. I have always rented and IMO most homes are way overpriced. The rents are high and overpriced too but if you live in a less than desired town way out away from the freeways and walmart you can find cheaper rents, such as here in Fallbrook.

Have you thought about moving to Las Vegas. lots of cheap homes because of all the forclosures there and low humidity.

Old 05-19-2012, 01:56 PM

I never rent. To me you are only paying someone elses mortgage. I already have a 2nd home for winter in AZ and the summers are WAY too hot for me. I have checked into some cooler areas in the mountains in AZ and then the winters are too cold...

I think I may have found the perfect location in Tri-cities, WA and am extensively researching this area. The problem is with osteoarthritis they recommend desert climates and I SO hate brown landscapes. Also I have lived near the ocean most my life and will miss it, but there are too many negatives for me to live in S CA I think...hubby would love to go back there, but I don't think he is thinking about how much it has changed since he lived there either.

My winter home is about an hour south of Phoenix and even that is too close to Mexico for me. It is not that I have anything against Mexicans, I have concerns about the Mexican gangs that seem to be becoming a problem (at least in AZ) close to the border. There are other issues with AZ also, such as lack of water, and the air quality from the dust in the desert, not to mention that your house is always dusty no mater what you do. I fear the accesibility to drinking water in AZ may be in peril not too far down the road.

I grew up on the east coast (and traveled a lot in the military) and although there are lots of places that I would not mind being, hubbies job is in WA (although he works mostly from home, he sometimes has to travel, so east coast is just not doable, or I'd move back to the east coast in a minute...

Northern Florida would work nicely for me I think, as long as I could be a bit close to the beach for a breeze, and housing believe it or not is pretty reasonable there. I have a cousin there, and she says they rarely get more than strong winds from hurricanes, and have never been hit "dead on".

Thanks for all the help, but I think CA is off the table for me, and I have pretty much ruled out the only places that would potentially work on AZ (we need to be within an hour of an airport which presents the problem of having to be near a fairly large city) ...

There are a lot of nice things about CA, unfortunately half the world has discovered how nice it is, and it has driven housing costs (and the cost of living in general to include the nearly 10% state income tax rate) off the charts...and I prefer to live in smaller towns anyway. I don't know that I would ever get used to so many people.

I like the fact that it is a liberal state as opposed to the area I am looking into seriously, which is pretty conservative, but I cannot rule out a move to somewhere just cuz I don't like the political attitude of the place LOL At least WA is liberal in general, so we'll still have legislators that lean toward liberalism.

Anyway, thanks for the helpful ideas, but I have already thought of most the ones that were mentioned and ruled them out for one reason or another. I want to make this the last move of my life, and hope I have picked the right place to do just that :-). I just hope we like it when we visit there later this summer. I just cannot think of anywhere else suitable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego