Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2014, 05:22 PM

1 posts, read 647 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjawalt View Post
I did this move 8mos ago. Recommend an apartment or rental in Carmel valley, Poway, Scripps Ranch until you become familiar with where u are going to buy.Those are good school areas with homes starting in your range. While I know you have already read about the weather, beaches, geography and location, thoses are the dominant and over riding factors that Austin can't compare. You will miss the ATX eclectic cultures (local music scene, hook 'em sports, cool bars and dining, hip trendy pockets of the city, mass university population influence, etc). But there is equally if not more things to discover and do here and in SoCal. Plan on a 25-30% COL increase, no kidding. Also, unlike Austin, SD seems to have a more gated community feel where neighborhoods and cities in SD county have a certain percieved character, and reputation. In the end, however, I know I made the right move because I had the opportunity to live in SD after living in Austin for several years, and I'm planning on planting roots here now that I finally did the relocation. Good Luck!
How is the employment opportunities in San Diego compared to Austin tx?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2014, 11:10 AM

192 posts, read 250,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizb17 View Post
How is the employment opportunities in San Diego compared to Austin tx?
For the OPs field, San Diego. Technology/Biotechnology/Research/Healthcare are all leading fields here and if you are in those fields, you can find work. I work in Biotech and I am constantly being recruited to work at other companies.

30 minute commute may be unrealistic, even if you are in Scripps Ranch because during commuting hours there's a huge influx of people coming into Sorrento Valley area. All ways in and out are packed. I live 8 miles south of Mira Mesa off 805 and it takes 30-40 minutes. For some reason, the afternoon takes longer. If you live in Scripps Ranch, then you would take Mira Mesa Blvd all the way down. Although only like 5 miles, it could easily take you 20-30 minutes in the morning. In the afternoon it's like a parking lot. On the weekends, it's dead!

In your price range, the cheapest house in Scripps Ranch starts around $600k. Carmel Valley even more. These would be the areas that if I was to buy a house here I would buy because of schools and "proximity" to work, along with the suburb feel the hubs likes. I would actually love to live in an older community like Talmadge or San Carlos. But it's hard enough living 8 miles from work with the commute and people are stupid drivers in SD. The rudest I have ever encountered. Carlsbad looks very nice but my coworker says it takes at least 45 minutes. Sometimes she gets so stressed she'll pull off and get donuts to take a break, which then we all feel bad we are benefiting from her stress!

Obviously, if you are asking about places to live way more inland like Escondido, Ramona, even Temecula, we would tell you the commute may be too long. But if you look anywhere in San Diego City or North County Coastal, you will have a commute. Just plan on 30-45 minutes. It's the way it is here!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego