Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-28-2012, 08:26 PM

91 posts, read 417,005 times

Advertisements

Hi all,
Just curious if any renters here are paying for their water through a third-party submetering firm (like Multifamily Utility Company). We haven't had a rent increase in 4 years, but were informed last month by our landlord that all 9 units will be paying for water soon via MUC. The net result may or may not be comparable to current rents; we're waiting to see how high the first bill is. Looks like this could be the "wave" of the future.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2012, 08:53 PM

6,420 posts, read 11,594,830 times
I'm going to have to look into this! Our condo complex has shared meters, so the Association pays the water bill and the HOA dues are set to cover it. The Association looked into having individual meters installed, but the whole place would need to be virtually re-plumbed. So that's not gonna' happen.

Problem is, no individual unit has any motivation to conserve water usage.

Old 05-28-2012, 09:38 PM

Hi Oddstray,
I'll let ya know how it goes. MUC does charge a service fee to each tenant, that's how they make their profit. I'm under the impression that most of us in this complex do conserve water, but our hot H2O comes from one large tank and it can take a long time to get the hot H2O to the apartment. That's where the wastage is. DH and I often fill a watering can or rinse dishes while we wait for the hot H2O to come out.

Old 05-28-2012, 11:15 PM

4,539 posts, read 12,403,081 times
It is the wave of the future. I believe it is required for new construction, and if a building is partially re-plumbed, individual metering is a required addition. I can't recall what the percentage of replumbing is. If it's 75%, or 51%, or what.

As an individual homeowner, I spend about $60 per month on water, and that includes a lot that gets some irrigation. That should provide some guidance on what to expect your individual cost to be.

Old 05-29-2012, 12:08 AM

11,715 posts, read 40,449,173 times
I lived in an apartment that did that. Water/sewer/trash were divided up proportionally by the number of residents per unit. Supposedly, only domestic water was charged to residents while the landscaping and pools were covered by the management. My bill for a single person in a 1 bedroom apartment was around $25/mo. Most of that was sewer and trash. Water is actually pretty cheap since its hard to use that much water inside a home.

Old 05-29-2012, 12:50 AM

563 posts, read 1,270,215 times
Our apartments don't do that now, and nobody has said anything about it, but this management company we have now is doing all kinds of crazy stuff without really telling us until it's about to be or already in the process of being installed, so who knows.

I've been looking to move out of state and have noticed all of the apartments in the area I want to move to charge what I feel is a astronomically high charge for water/trash/sewer for common area use payable to the complex, on top of what you use indoors and payable to the local electric company. If this is the wave of the future in SD, then I guess I better get over it and stop making it an issue with moving...

Old 05-29-2012, 12:20 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,848,721 times
My complex doesn't do this (yet) but with the plumbing structure the way it is, I think they could only charge a monthly fee based on say 1-2-3 bedroom units. It would be difficult to get it fair because one unit could only have one person and another unit might have 4-5 people living there so I don't see how they could charge the same fee for everybody. I really hope this doesn't come about!

I know this is done in alot of apt units back east, particularly DC area. I will be moving one of these years too so I have to remember to ask about these types of charges before committing because it can add up.

Old 05-30-2012, 08:55 PM

Thank you all for your helpful info and figures. I should have been clearer: we don't have individual meters (plumbing's too complicated), but we're going to have proportional charges based on bedrooms and occupants. I'm not wild about this but haven't seen cheaper apartments that I liked, either.
The landlord gave the tenants some (not all) new windows and balconies as a panacea before sending the letter about the water bills. %-)

Old 05-30-2012, 11:35 PM

1,665 posts, read 2,974,862 times
What may have happened is that the landlord has seen his water bill jump and he's seen usage go way up. So, he figures, okay, I was fine eating it when the bill was lower, but these guys don't seem to care about conserving water so I'm going to pass the cost along.

I can certainly understand that. I rent out property in the DC area. And I'm required to offer any tenant a two year lease. I do this, but I tell them if the HOA goes up by more than $50, I will pass that cost along to them.

What your landlord is doing is no different.

Old 06-02-2012, 11:49 AM

I agree, Tony - although the leak in the laundry room wall probably isn't helping any!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego