Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2012, 03:56 PM

63 posts, read 123,955 times

Advertisements

Hey guys, I'm interested in visiting Ocean Beach some day and thought I would ask beforehand if it was anything like Venice Beach. Venice Beach was quite the unique experience, and I'm trying to get an idea if I'd see the same type of stuff in Ocean Beach, or if you'd consider OB to be somewhat more laid-back, or whatever. Any information is really helpful, I just want to know what to expect. I love the idea of the area being small-business oriented. Thanks guys!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2012, 04:38 PM

18,980 posts, read 32,627,760 times
It has that similar alterantive/hippie/counterculture vibe but other than that it's not that similar. You don't really find street performers or vendors. It's much smaller and less vibrant.

Old 06-01-2012, 08:12 PM

1,471 posts, read 3,338,543 times
I would not say its less vibrant, just a much smaller scale. I have only spent a couple days on Venice beach....I really liked it, but there is more tackiness, dispair and grifters than ocean beach. One thing nice about OB is the funky little downtown is close to downtown San Diego, and also 3 min from the jaw dropping beauty of sunset cliffs (actually part of OB). Also there is not the boardwalk...but an interesting pier. The eccentrics in Venice are putting on a show on purpose but in OB it is just folks being themselves. If you choose to visit come on a wednesday, there is a great farmers market 4-8. Also there is a chili cook off in late June worth checking out.

Old 06-01-2012, 08:16 PM

1,471 posts, read 3,338,543 times
Should have mentioned... For the most part OB is not geared to tourists like Venice Beach. It's just a classic, authentic S.cal beach town, and that itself makes it worth a visit

Old 06-01-2012, 08:31 PM

63 posts, read 123,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clevelandgal View Post
I would not say its less vibrant, just a much smaller scale. I have only spent a couple days on Venice beach....I really liked it, but there is more tackiness, dispair and grifters than ocean beach. One thing nice about OB is the funky little downtown is close to downtown San Diego, and also 3 min from the jaw dropping beauty of sunset cliffs (actually part of OB). Also there is not the boardwalk...but an interesting pier. The eccentrics in Venice are putting on a show on purpose but in OB it is just folks being themselves. If you choose to visit come on a wednesday, there is a great farmers market 4-8. Also there is a chili cook off in late June worth checking out.
Dang, that actually sounds awesome. I love farmer's markets and stuff like that, I'm definitely going to need to see this place ASAP!

Old 06-02-2012, 05:59 PM

35 posts, read 69,127 times
OB is San Diego's Venice Beach. It's just Venice in a San Diego way - less pressing humanity and pretension. OB is also mildly anti corporate. Are there any chain stores on Newport Ave? I don't think so. Not fond of corps but love dogs (Dog Beach). Gotta be good people yes? Like Venice Beach it's not suburban fiberglass. I stayed at the Ocean Beach Hotel (recommended) and close neighbors were a smoke shop and tattoo place. On weekend nights Newport Avenue is lively until 2 AM bar closing. If some people think San Diego is bland or lacks personality Ocean Beach disproves that

Old 06-03-2012, 04:52 PM

18,980 posts, read 32,627,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWestIsTheBest View Post
Are there any chain stores on Newport Ave? I don't think so.
Starbucks, but that is the only chain store and residents did put up a huge fight to prevent it from opening. But I do agree, OB is SD's Venice Beach.

Old 05-25-2021, 08:01 PM

6,498 posts, read 7,525,332 times
Did both Venice Beach and OB this weekend and I must say I like our "little" OB much better. Venice was so crowded, fun for people watching but it has definitely been overrun by the homeless. OB feels like it's heading in that direction with lots of grifters and street performers, but lets hope the beach camps don't start.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
It has that similar alterantive/hippie/counterculture vibe but other than that it's not that similar. You don't really find street performers or vendors. It's much smaller and less vibrant.
9 years later and there are now plenty of performers and vendors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Starbucks, but that is the only chain store and residents did put up a huge fight to prevent it from opening. But I do agree, OB is SD's Venice Beach.
9 years later, there is now a Target in addition to the Starbucks.

Old 05-25-2021, 09:59 PM

5,733 posts, read 4,688,017 times
I'm allergic to both places.

Old 05-25-2021, 11:42 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,887,176 times
I would say the Venice Beach of even those few years ago of 2012 was still the funky, approachable, circus atmosphere that it was know for decades but today it is nearly uninhabitable much less visit able because of the homeless encampments. Not that it will be like that forever or not improve but for now there is no way in hell I would go there and I’ve been a frequent enthusiast visitor there for years.

OB is still funky, hippie, vagabond OB. Always counterculture and more than a few scruffy corners and characters but still for the most part a place I would go to without hesitation to take in what is one of the last low-key SoCa beach towns left in the state. That it still maintains its atmosphere without either being too yuppie commercialized or entirely homeless ghetto in this day and age is to be admired.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego