Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2012, 09:10 AM

1,665 posts, read 2,974,193 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roxytronics View Post
Colorado Springs. I would give you the same advice because the job market here is as stagnant as it is everywhere and with the cost of living climbing that can be a bit of a drag. I would recommend Denver to anyone wanting more job opportunities and decent housing prices. But, be aware, there is next to no culture and a pretty dismal nightlife.
So you have a job but a crappy life. What's the point of that?

If you're going to move, do it to improve your life. And life, contrary to what many people seem to think here, does not revolve around work.

Sure, jobs may be tough to come by, although I have to say that's becoming less of an issue as the economy improves. I just moved into a much better job recently and I've already received two recruiting calls for even better positions.

But even if you're in only a decent job that pays enough to get by and save a little each month, would you rather be doing it in a place that you enjoy living in or in a place you hate?

Work for 30-40 years, **** your life away in a place you hate, or roll the dice knowing nothing's guaranteed and do it in a place you like?

Some people would tell you, yeah, just stay put, there's too much risk involved. But do you want to live like that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2012, 09:34 AM

7,378 posts, read 12,659,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Fork Fantast View Post
Rumers have it that there will be a turnaround in a few years, more classes offered, more hiring. If you can stay put for another year and save money and accumulate teaching experience, you may be looking at a different situation.
I meant rumors! And if all you want is a couple of classes, then perhaps it might work out. Especially if you're persistent. I agree with Tony: Make brave choices while you're young. Come on out and give it a go...

Old 06-04-2012, 09:38 AM

4,630 posts, read 10,270,747 times
roxy,

You are both young enough to make the move. There are no guarantees in life and IMHO the risk is no different now than later since you don't have kids or an elderly family member to look after etc. Its wise to be aware of the jobs/COL environment but not let it hinder your overall motivation.

I have always found that the most successful people WILL find a way to make it happen. It might not be 'easy' but then whats the point?

Come here to move with good intention and give yourself some kind of imaginary timeline (2-3 years). That's usually a good enough time to get to know where you are, if its worth it to stick around and if its really a good long term investment career wise or personally. Whats the worst that can happen? You are 2-3 years older and wiser?

Old 06-04-2012, 10:45 AM

50,241 posts, read 46,997,454 times
You will find similarities between CO Springs and here. Lot's of military and it's spread out. You will find a lot more to do here at night with younger overall age than CO Springs. If you have something to fall back on (like moving back if need be) then why not give it a go. I lived in the Springs for 12 years though I was little at the time.

CO and CA have a lot of swap outs for some reason. It's probably because they are polar opposites in geography.

Old 06-04-2012, 02:05 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,844,996 times
Public transporation is practically non-existant in San Diego County. I mean, there are buses but it would take you hours and hours to get anywhere. Coaster commuter train runs along the coast from Downtown SD to Oceanside, stops along beach communities. Trolley runs downtown and out east. There was a Sprinter train that ran along 76 I think, not sure if it is still operating or not. SD County is huge so alot depends on where you would be working as far as where you would want to live. But basically, CA is a car culture.

Escondido isn't the greatest place to live...if you search this forum under Escondido, I'm sure there is quite a bit of information because this area has been discussed frequently. As a young couple with no kids, not really where you would want to be.

The average rental in SD is $1,400 but that is pretty low for most nicer places these days, especially in complexes. SD housing is alot higher than Colorado...so are taxes. I would suggest bringing at least 9 months living expenses.

Old 06-04-2012, 02:44 PM

76 posts, read 244,216 times
We lived in Parker, CO for five years; I worked for the local school district in Parker. We moved in August 2011 and I had a job in a week, decided I did not like it, found a job with the local school district in three months. My contract is being renewed for next year too. I also work on-line for University of Phoenix and know they need on-ground people, specifically for Humanities. The university asked me to train for on-ground, but my daughter's birthday trip was one of the weeks training was taking place...they asked me to please get back with them in July to start the Fall 2012 training for the College of Humanities.

Like someone said..."I have always found that the most successful people WILL find a way to make it happen. It might not be 'easy' but then whats the point?"

Give it a go...you have nothing to lose right?

Old 06-04-2012, 04:13 PM

15,128 posts, read 32,307,461 times
The school districts here in San Diego have severe budget problems, and continually lay employees off. If there are any vacancies, the employees that have been laid off have priority for them. New applications aren't even considered.

Old 06-04-2012, 04:37 PM

76 posts, read 244,216 times
I do not work for SD School District and there are SEVERAL postings on Edjoin.org...think close to 500 positions are posted.

Old 06-04-2012, 05:20 PM

15,128 posts, read 32,307,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parker View Post
I do not work for SD School District and there are SEVERAL postings on Edjoin.org...think close to 500 positions are posted.
Yes, there are lots of positions posted, but those positions are probably already preselected. By law, vacancies have to be advertised, but they're not required to interview.

Old 06-04-2012, 07:13 PM

1,029 posts, read 2,481,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
Public transporation is practically non-existant in San Diego County. I mean, there are buses but it would take you hours and hours to get anywhere. Coaster commuter train runs along the coast from Downtown SD to Oceanside, stops along beach communities. Trolley runs downtown and out east. There was a Sprinter train that ran along 76 I think, not sure if it is still operating or not. SD County is huge so alot depends on where you would be working as far as where you would want to live. But basically, CA is a car culture.

Escondido isn't the greatest place to live...if you search this forum under Escondido, I'm sure there is quite a bit of information because this area has been discussed frequently. As a young couple with no kids, not really where you would want to be.

The average rental in SD is $1,400 but that is pretty low for most nicer places these days, especially in complexes. SD housing is alot higher than Colorado...so are taxes. I would suggest bringing at least 9 months living expenses.
The Trolley is 65 miles and growing. A new line will go from Old Town north to UCSD opening in 2017. The Coaster runs from Oceanside to Downtown San Diego with many stops in between.

The Sprinter runs from Oceanside to Escondido.

Here are 2 links to Transit:

North County Transit
North County Transit District-We Move People

MTS:

SDMTS - Trolley Information

MTS is hiring now too FYI.

Look under the employment tab on the MTS website.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego