Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2012, 03:35 PM

50,232 posts, read 46,991,184 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shmoov_groovzsd View Post
I was wondering, what do you guys think would happen if SD did turn out to be blue across the board? What kind of changes do you think you would see?

For the record, I am registered non-partisan
I am also non-partisan.

With that said, we can't keep on with current formula which is probably what would happen. This budget deficit has been getting worse and at what point do we bk? I hope everyone can plainly see that. We either raise taxes to a ridiculous level or start looking at making cuts or layoffs. Taxes won't pass so that leaves?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2012, 04:12 PM

1,331 posts, read 2,334,163 times
We need a healthy balance of the two. We need to keep our budget balanced but we also need to maintain a strong safety net. San Diego just needs a more forward thinking mayor. I read that San Diego hasn't had a Democratic mayor since the 1970's. There are many republicans that blame San Diego's fiscal mess on Democrats but who has been in control of the city the last several years? That would be Republicans. We need better public transportation. it isn't bad by any means because I can get most anywhere I want by trolley, bus, Coaster, or Amtrak but I still think the whole metro area could use more public transportation. Fiscal Conservatism is a good thing to keep out of debt and to have a balanced budget but I am not a fan of the corporate control element of fiscal conservatism. I don't care if Government is big or small, I care that it works efficiently by keeping a strong safety net, civil liberties for all races, religions, orientations etc, and can help businesses grow at the same time.

Old 06-14-2012, 04:33 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,270,138 times
bradleyyo, in all fairness, up until 5-6 years ago, the Mayor was a member of the city council. The structure of Govt was a lot different then. When voters voted for the 'strong mayor' system I am not sure they understood the pros and cons as to when the City Manager was running business affairs. SO while there may not have been a Democrat Mayor since the 70s, the power that we see now in the Mayors seat is a LOT different.

I totally agree with everything else you said and both sides of the aisle have points regardless of what team anyone is on. Some times one side of the aisle may have ideas more fitting for certain decades than others.
So for as much as we all have friendly banter and difference of opinion on repub vs dem at the local level, I believe that most people that are elected really do care about their constituents. However as develop and grow, those differences will become far greater.

Old 06-14-2012, 10:24 PM

We have a budget deficit, a HUGE one. The first thing we need to do is become blind about partisan politics and figure out how we can fix this. Where is the money the current Govt gets going. Where can we cut back. Where can we get tax payers to agree to increases.

Things have to change people, and blaming history doesn't help anything. Learn from it but step up and accept what is now.

Old 06-15-2012, 03:43 AM

1,996 posts, read 4,767,379 times
Tax increases is inevitable, Dems understand this well, but Repubs hate to admit it. You can't keep services flowing freely, without more revenue. Ask any business owner, no money= cut backs and layoffs. It's a simple understanding of economics. If Repubs looked for the cheap way out of everything, we we would have a crappy workforce being payed peanuts that couldn't afford to stay afloat in life, because they refuse time and time again to raise any taxes. I did agree with Hotel Tax that was just increased and agreed upon by the Hotel Industry a month ago. Let the tourist pay for it, I am perfectly cool with that.

I think what is really going on though is the people in CA do not trust our government to do the right things with our money, plus the high taxes on everything (how can you blame them), you'd think this state would be in much better shape economically than most others that have lower taxes, but this is not the case. So this coming November, residents will most likely vote down the tax increase measures being pushed by Gov Brown, I guarantee it.

If that happens, prepare for a heavy reduction of services, education, health care, and other major infrastructure improvements all across CA.

Even though I consider myself open minded and fairly liberal, I am not an Environmentalist. I honestly feel that these people are obstructionist and hold back our ability to build and construct things that will benefit everyone, jobs, energy etc.

Also, I do believe that the US in recent years has allowed way too many immigrants into this country which has become a burden to the system. Hispanics, Middle Eastern, Asians, Europeans, everyone. We can't keep allowing mass loads of immigrants into our nation and keep giving them free services that Tax payers are having to fork out for, when this country can't even pay it's own bills. It's not fair IMO that these people are allowed to get SSI, disability and other discounts just because they are poor foreigners. What about our people, American citizens? People that have worked their asses off for years?

So I believe the US government needs to put a stop, or at least slow down immigration growth for the future to help offset the expenses they are costing to American tax payers.

Hopefully Filner will get elected as mayor, just because I am sure a lot of San Diegan's are tired of Repub control in the mayoral office, since none of the past Repub mayors has done much to improve SD. Filner will keep the lobbyist and insiders at home and on their couch eating potato chips, since the man can't be bought or easily influenced.

Old 06-15-2012, 09:43 AM

1,665 posts, read 2,974,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shmoov_groovzsd View Post
I was wondering, what do you guys think would happen if SD did turn out to be blue across the board? What kind of changes do you think you would see?

For the record, I am registered non-partisan
I think you'd see a lot less scapegoating of public employees as the cause of our problems. Yes, we all know that woman at City Hall who sits around and does her nails all day long instead of working, but she's everywhere. Public sector, private sector, we all know someone like that. She should be fired, and get this -- union contracts do not protect against incompetence or poor performance. I know of a few people who were fired despite union contracts, and the union did not step in. Why? Because they didn't do their jobs! Their fellow union workers wanted them gone!

I think we'd also see a lot less of an anti-tax bent. Nobody likes paying taxes. I don't. But if we want good schools, safe roads, and cops and firefighters, we've got to pay for them. The only way to pay for those is through taxes. I think you'd see a shift towards a "these taxes are paying for these services and that's why we pay them" mindset.

Old 06-15-2012, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUangreytaxpayer View Post
Hey Angry Tax Payer!
Its nice to see the City of SD pays there tree trimmers $16.50 to $20.01 per hour for journey level work. However, in seattle (strong union town and progressivly minded folks) pay there tree trimmers working for the city 29.50 and hour. Also, our pension system is not falling apart like republicin SD's pension system. Screwing the working class to pay your top city officials in SD 110 to 160 a year is a typical republicin tactic. Oh yeah, City of Seattle has over 10,000 employees strong and cost of living is same as SD. So before you open your hole, you should understand that union jobs with good pensions have nothing to do with your cities $$$ crissis DB!
You took all that time to sign up, took hours to piece this butchered mess of a paragraph together, then disappear. Minor League!!

Old 06-16-2012, 06:35 PM

9,525 posts, read 30,463,921 times
Seattle has high property tax rates, higher salaries and a lower COL than San Diego. Seattle also has a larger population and a much more diversified economy. It is a regional hub and is comparable more to the Bay Area in economic and regional significance.

San Diego's economic weaknesses are historical and structural. It is not some middle class bastion by any stretch of the imagination.

Old 06-18-2012, 09:17 AM

1,331 posts, read 2,334,163 times
I can't stand it when people complain about their property taxes. Can't afford to pay an extra 500 bucks every 10 years because then you couldn't afford the gas guzzling pick up, the 3 quads, the boat and the Harley? Spoiled brats.

Old 06-18-2012, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleyyo View Post
I can't stand it when people complain about their property taxes. Can't afford to pay an extra 500 bucks every 10 years because then you couldn't afford the gas guzzling pick up, the 3 quads, the boat and the Harley? Spoiled brats.
Same with rent increases that help cover property taxes. Roughly half own homes, the others rent.

I was surprised to see this article.
http://www.10news.com/news/30962910/detail.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego