Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2012, 11:09 PM

1,331 posts, read 2,334,282 times

Advertisements

Most of San Diego's diversity, culture, and uniqueness is south of the 8.

The north is soccer mom country, or, more appropriately, soccer mean 'ol grandma country.

Look at some of the armpit communities - Rancho Bernardo comes to mind.

I visited a friend there a few months ago and it was dreadful.

Chain restaurants, chain stores, suburban monotony, and a bunch of elderly white people walking around complaining about anything that doesn't fit their circa 1950s idealism.

These are the people who have controlled San Diego politics for decades.

These are the people who think Papa Manchester is some modern-day hero.

These are the people who listen to Carl DeMaio's political doublespeak and actually believe it.

As the power structure in our city very slowly gives way to more diversity and inches toward actually representing our entire population instead of a select few, these people become increasingly radical and virulent.

When one group is used to a monopoly on power, they panic and radicalize when they see this monopoly threatened. This is why we have the tea party.

As we see the trickle of hope - things like the County Board of Supervisors getting term limits and what will hopefully be a Democrat in the mayor's seat in Novemeber - we see the other side do everything they can to hang on to their monopoly.

Manchester's buying of the largest media outlet in our city is a prime example. He is politically connected to the local GOP and he works for them by using bias in his "news"paper. It will be these types of desperate tactics that continue to be used as San Diego becomes more Democratic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2012, 04:20 AM

1,996 posts, read 4,767,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleyyo View Post
Most of San Diego's diversity, culture, and uniqueness is south of the 8.

The north is soccer mom country, or, more appropriately, soccer mean 'ol grandma country.

Look at some of the armpit communities - Rancho Bernardo comes to mind.

I visited a friend there a few months ago and it was dreadful.

Chain restaurants, chain stores, suburban monotony, and a bunch of elderly white people walking around complaining about anything that doesn't fit their circa 1950s idealism.

These are the people who have controlled San Diego politics for decades.

These are the people who think Papa Manchester is some modern-day hero.

These are the people who listen to Carl DeMaio's political doublespeak and actually believe it.

As the power structure in our city very slowly gives way to more diversity and inches toward actually representing our entire population instead of a select few, these people become increasingly radical and virulent.

When one group is used to a monopoly on power, they panic and radicalize when they see this monopoly threatened. This is why we have the tea party.

As we see the trickle of hope - things like the County Board of Supervisors getting term limits and what will hopefully be a Democrat in the mayor's seat in Novemeber - we see the other side do everything they can to hang on to their monopoly.

Manchester's buying of the largest media outlet in our city is a prime example. He is politically connected to the local GOP and he works for them by using bias in his "news"paper. It will be these types of desperate tactics that continue to be used as San Diego becomes more Democratic.

Dang! Were you reading my mind Bradley?? Lol! Great post man!!

I hear you when you talk about the select few controlling the powers in the City and County. You can tell that desperation mode is slowly kicking in over at the UT. Manchester is on a serious power trip to make any last ditch efforts on trying to corrupt the minds of it's readers by only talking about what he feels is important, rather than posting stories that are important for everyone. The UT is one big fat opinionated propaganda machine for the GOP.

SD is so vastly different from North City/County, to Mid-City, to the South Bay, and East County. It's Worlds apart really. We all see SD through our own eye's depending on where we live. If you stay in La Jolla, your views and thoughts of SD will be very positive. If you talk to someone living in Logan Heights, or City Heights, they will probably give you a completely different answer.

But yes, I notice the local media is trying really hard to keep SD Right Winged forever. Just watch Fox 5, News 8, and even NBC 7, they all now talk about more military causes and issues than ever before. The military content of the news in SD has actually increased lately, why? The military is still big in SD, but it's not like it used to be, so I question the motives by the news directors giving so much air time to military stories. Not that I have a problem with people in uniform, but I see it as more as a political stunt and heighten awareness to influence voters at the polls and it generally just reflects GOP interests.

I just don't see the GOP winning out year after year by 2025. The diversity by then will be light years ahead of where we are at now.

Old 06-26-2012, 04:57 AM

1,996 posts, read 4,767,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
Conservative can mean financial or social. I consider myself a moderate, independent, financially conservative, socially liberal. This maps poorly to the definitions above and to either of the major political parties. An example of this seemingly intractable position is that I support both gun ownership and gay marriage, oppose both welfare and war spending. I believe in personal accountability as the core of our national identity but support a nationalized healthcare system if it could solve the current healthcare mess. I believe all of this at the same time and often change my mind as pragmatic circumstance demands.

When you run a business, you must be financially conservative or you will be out of business, of course unless you have an unlimited source of funds and are accountable to no-one. Apply that filter to the government and you will understand why most fiscal conservatives are dissatisfied with our governments.

The idea that liberals are universally open to change is utterly ridiculous. Go to any wealthy liberal area and try to build a room addition and you'll see how tolerant and open to change those people really are. My experience with far left liberals is that they are as stubborn and arrogant as their far-right counterparts.
This is another awesome post which I can totally relate to, besides for the gun ownership part

I consider myself a liberal too, BUT, I am not one of those people that care for the environment as much as the libs in SF do. Environmentalist at times hinder economical growth. For instance if I was someone that wanted to build a solar plant in Ramona, I would have every environmentalist from here to Washington state protesting against my business saying how the construction noise will kill off some endangered specie that isn't important to anyone, besides them. I understand old timers not wanting it in there back yard, that's fine, but other people that have no business there, is what I don't like at all!

Being fiscally conservative is extremely important, to run a business, you always look at expenses. If you can't afford something, you don't buy it. The problem for a lot of people, is many times they take out these huge loans to build up a lavish business, not knowing the direction of where it's heading. These kinds of risks can be damaging to someones credit, and bank account if they haven't thought through the final cost of operating it. I say start slow, when you start to make enough money, then you can increase spending. That is why finding an investor is always better than going to a bank for cash, since the interest rate will most likely be hardly nothing. This gives a lot more flexibility to the business owner, especially on deciding how much, and when payments are due.

I truly wish we had a party that represented people like us. But if you aren't somehow connected to some rich corporation, than you will never win the fight. This is why I honestly believe the government needs to BAN ALL CORPORATE DONORS, AND OR IT'S SPONSORS FROM EVER CONTRIBUTING MONEY TO ANY CANDIDATE RUNNING FOR OFFICE, PERIOD!!!! If we don't have this in writing, or some form of law, corporations, and it's influences, will continuing to run this country non stop.

I mean seriously, lobbying is a form of bribery, not just financial bribery, but mental bribery! Corrupting federal officials by influencing the way they vote. If those 2 things were banned out right with no loopholes , then we can finally have a fair and honest politicians that will do right things for all Americans with compromises being met easily, unlike today. The politicians in Washington, are so far separated from us, that in many ways, they are simply working only for their corporate donors, and nothing more. It's like a new law can't be passed without someone from an outside industry writing the bill. The Senators, and Congressman aren't writing it, that's for sure.

It's plain sad, and frustrating as hell, this is why sometimes I hate politics so much, all it does is separates us all from each other in the worst ways.

Old 06-26-2012, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdlife619 View Post
Dang! Were you reading my mind Bradley?? Lol! Great post man!!

I hear you when you talk about the select few controlling the powers in the City and County. You can tell that desperation mode is slowly kicking in over at the UT. Manchester is on a serious power trip to make any last ditch efforts on trying to corrupt the minds of it's readers by only talking about what he feels is important, rather than posting stories that are important for everyone. The UT is one big fat opinionated propaganda machine for the GOP.

SD is so vastly different from North City/County, to Mid-City, to the South Bay, and East County. It's Worlds apart really. We all see SD through our own eye's depending on where we live. If you stay in La Jolla, your views and thoughts of SD will be very positive. If you talk to someone living in Logan Heights, or City Heights, they will probably give you a completely different answer.

But yes, I notice the local media is trying really hard to keep SD Right Winged forever. Just watch Fox 5, News 8, and even NBC 7, they all now talk about more military causes and issues than ever before. The military content of the news in SD has actually increased lately, why? The military is still big in SD, but it's not like it used to be, so I question the motives by the news directors giving so much air time to military stories. Not that I have a problem with people in uniform, but I see it as more as a political stunt and heighten awareness to influence voters at the polls and it generally just reflects GOP interests.

I just don't see the GOP winning out year after year by 2025. The diversity by then will be light years ahead of where we are at now.
You are right. Not only is San Diego diversifying racially but so is the whole country. Until the GOP stops being the "rich white Christian party", they will lose minorities. I honestly do not know any of my minority friends who vote Republican. I agree about the military worshipping. I support the troops of course but not the Military Industrial Complex built by higher powers. If you or I or anyone even suggests cutting military speeding we get labeled with "hating America" or some other absurd comment.

Republicans also complain that Obama is catering to minorities by having new immigration orders and supporting gay marriage. But how is that different from Republicans catering to the Religious Right?

A funny thing happened on Facebook the other day. A friend posted something against the Dream Act for immigrants and I decided to comment with why I support it. Not two minutes later her and one of her friends on there went on a tirade against me claiming "all you liberals ruin America. You feel entitled to everything. Vote for Obama again, you sheep". I only showed support for The Dream Act but somehow that translates into being a "liberal". They throw that word around like it's something awful and I should be put to death or something. Its like no Republican ever does wrong in their eyes. Many of them warship Bush but don't complain about the Patriot Act or illegal wars. Some Americans just have no clue.

Last edited by bradleyyo; 06-26-2012 at 06:59 AM..

Old 06-26-2012, 08:12 AM

50,242 posts, read 46,997,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdlife619 View Post
This is another awesome post which I can totally relate to, besides for the gun ownership part

I consider myself a liberal too, BUT, I am not one of those people that care for the environment as much as the libs in SF do. Environmentalist at times hinder economical growth. For instance if I was someone that wanted to build a solar plant in Ramona, I would have every environmentalist from here to Washington state protesting against my business saying how the construction noise will kill off some endangered specie that isn't important to anyone, besides them. I understand old timers not wanting it in there back yard, that's fine, but other people that have no business there, is what I don't like at all!

Being fiscally conservative is extremely important, to run a business, you always look at expenses. If you can't afford something, you don't buy it. The problem for a lot of people, is many times they take out these huge loans to build up a lavish business, not knowing the direction of where it's heading. These kinds of risks can be damaging to someones credit, and bank account if they haven't thought through the final cost of operating it. I say start slow, when you start to make enough money, then you can increase spending. That is why finding an investor is always better than going to a bank for cash, since the interest rate will most likely be hardly nothing. This gives a lot more flexibility to the business owner, especially on deciding how much, and when payments are due.

I truly wish we had a party that represented people like us. But if you aren't somehow connected to some rich corporation, than you will never win the fight. This is why I honestly believe the government needs to BAN ALL CORPORATE DONORS, AND OR IT'S SPONSORS FROM EVER CONTRIBUTING MONEY TO ANY CANDIDATE RUNNING FOR OFFICE, PERIOD!!!! If we don't have this in writing, or some form of law, corporations, and it's influences, will continuing to run this country non stop.

I mean seriously, lobbying is a form of bribery, not just financial bribery, but mental bribery! Corrupting federal officials by influencing the way they vote. If those 2 things were banned out right with no loopholes , then we can finally have a fair and honest politicians that will do right things for all Americans with compromises being met easily, unlike today. The politicians in Washington, are so far separated from us, that in many ways, they are simply working only for their corporate donors, and nothing more. It's like a new law can't be passed without someone from an outside industry writing the bill. The Senators, and Congressman aren't writing it, that's for sure.

It's plain sad, and frustrating as hell, this is why sometimes I hate politics so much, all it does is separates us all from each other in the worst ways.
Proposed plant off 805 being beat up on in the news today.

Old 06-26-2012, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyinsd View Post
If you think about what conservative means -- not the perverted by political pundits version but the dictionary version -- it's no surprise that places which are less diverse and where things don't change much lean that way. Think about it. Conservative means you want things to stay the way they are. The problem is, that's just not going to happen. The only constant in the universe is change. So it's kind of like trying to bail the Titanic out with a bucket. Oh, sure, you may FEEL like you're preventing things from changing, and you may actually slow the rate of change down. But sooner or later, it's going to happen.

Liberal means that you're open to and favor change. Naturally, in places that are very diverse and have lots of things going on, you're going to have more change so you're going to be open to it. It's part of what you're used to. You like things that way and you embrace it.

This is why you see a lot of rural areas skewing very conservative and urban areas skewing liberal. The people who are open to change in rural areas often leave, because they want to live in a place where they see change. Those who want to keep things the way they are stay put.
I meant to add on to this a few days ago. I agree with everything you say and I think another reason they are very conservative is because if you live in a small rural town, you do not have the same amenities as more populated areas such as public transportation, community pools etc, so they view their money going to the government as a waste because it doesn't affect them versus those of us in more populated areas that see light rail trains, and things worth paying taxes for.

I'm no fan of taxes but I have no problem paying them as long as they are used appropriately. I like having buses and trains in close proximity, I like having community libraries and state parks, just things like that.

People may be against universal health care but just like every other hot political fight, it's going to happen at some point. Maybe not now, but it will happen sometime in the future. It's like when people are xenophobic about Muslims, Hispanics or any other culture moving into their neighborhoods. We can not kick them out because it is not right and it goes against everything this country was founded on so people just need to get used to it instead of fighting the inevitable. Look at the hot button issue of abortion. It has been legal for quite sometime, yet you still have religious governors and groups pushing legislation to try to stop it. The states that have legalized gay marriage have people fighting it. This will go on for years and years into the future no matter how many states legalize it.

Old 06-26-2012, 10:57 PM

1,665 posts, read 2,974,193 times
Quote:
A friend posted something against the Dream Act for immigrants and I decided to comment with why I support it. Not two minutes later her and one of her friends on there went on a tirade against me claiming "all you liberals ruin America. You feel entitled to everything. Vote for Obama again, you sheep". I only showed support for The Dream Act but somehow that translates into being a "liberal". They throw that word around like it's something awful and I should be put to death or something. Its like no Republican ever does wrong in their eyes. Many of them warship Bush but don't complain about the Patriot Act or illegal wars. Some Americans just have no clue.
Make that most Americans.

There are plenty of people who think Obama raised taxes when he actually cut them. They believe that health care reform will mean that the government controls health insurance. It won't, even if it survives the Supreme Court. Private companies will provide the insurance except for a few groups, like the elderly, people in the military, and the poor. They believe that the Obama administration is doing nothing to enforce immigration laws even though deportations are at a record high and there is actually an outflow of illegal Mexicans.

I won't even get started on the whole nonsense about the birth certificate. As an aside, I've got some joker who's a birther following me on twitter. Yuck.

The Dream act is so radical that nutjobs like George W. Bush, Rick Perry, and John McCain once supported it. As Rick Perry said, if you want to take someone who came over here when they were a child and send them back to their "home" you are heartless.

Quote:
I think another reason they are very conservative is because if you live in a small rural town, you do not have the same amenities as more populated areas such as public transportation, community pools etc, so they view their money going to the government as a waste because it doesn't affect them versus those of us in more populated areas that see light rail trains, and things worth paying taxes for.
You know, I never thought about this. But what boggles the mind is that the people who depend on the government the most are often the ones screaming about how it should get out of their lives. Mississippi takes in two bucks in federal money for every dollar they send to Washington. California only gets 78 cents back for every buck we send in.

And yet California's derided by some people as a big government state while Mississippi is touted as good. It's actually backwards. If we got to keep those 22 cents for ourselves, I think Jerry Brown could fly from Sacramento to the border tossing c-notes out the window and we'd still have money left over.

Old 06-27-2012, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyinsd View Post

You know, I never thought about this. But what boggles the mind is that the people who depend on the government the most are often the ones screaming about how it should get out of their lives. Mississippi takes in two bucks in federal money for every dollar they send to Washington. California only gets 78 cents back for every buck we send in.

And yet California's derided by some people as a big government state while Mississippi is touted as good. It's actually backwards. If we got to keep those 22 cents for ourselves, I think Jerry Brown could fly from Sacramento to the border tossing c-notes out the window and we'd still have money left over.
The GOP has been saying for years that THEY'RE the party protecting freedom, yet they want to limit who can get married, limit a woman's right to choice, limit sex education to abstainance only, limit research into global warming, limit protection of the environment. The only freedoms I see them really trying to protect are the unlimited guns and unregulated business practices. They want to cut taxes by gutting public schools. That's why they're a marginal party in California.

It's like we should follow the "lead' of the "moocher" red counties (and red states) that are nearly all at the bottom of the heap in things like income, education, domestic violence, substance abuse, health and teen pregnancies!

Today it is way too extreme and out of touch with 2012, a bunch of old, misinformed ignorant people that are being manipulated by the media and the millions of dollars donated by millionaires who want less regulation and more ways to go around enviroment and customer protection, the Koch brothers are just one of them.
California will be ahead like always. Unions will be put on check sooner or later. Our deficit will be balanced next year, education and healthcare will be the problem to solve next.
Republicans will face extinction and no one will join a party of losers if they don't confront the new reality. Wake up, the 1950's and 60's are history.

Old 06-27-2012, 10:00 AM

50,242 posts, read 46,997,454 times
Ya'all should probably read on the big 3.

For starters:

Republican Party (United States) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 08-09-2014, 07:38 PM

1,095 posts, read 1,630,573 times
Here is an interesting political map that shows the most conservative cities and the least conservative cities. San Diego is in the "Less Conservative Leaning" category with -0.36, while San Jose has -0.32 and Sacramento has -0.33. I found this interesting since some people assume San Diego is really conservative. According to this map it is less conservative than San Jose and Sacramento.

These are America's most conservative cities | wfaa.com Dallas - Fort Worth
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego