Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2012, 03:40 AM

2,011 posts, read 3,551,984 times

Advertisements

San Diego is a moderate city. It is the place to be if your political views are moderate, on either side of the aisle. It's not right-wing wacky, and it's not left-wing wacky. It's just right. I wish more places were like it. Of course, I'm a moderate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2012, 08:49 AM

7,725 posts, read 12,620,471 times
San Diego has too many wealthy middle-class enclaves to ever turn Democratic. The reason San Diego has retained the incredible quality of life it has is because of Republicans. Just take a look at every other Democrat/liberal-run city in the state. Nothing but a mess. You have to be a fool if you want San Diego to turn Democrat.

Old 06-09-2012, 08:55 AM

1,331 posts, read 2,334,981 times
Ugh I know! New York and Seattle and Portland are such horrible cities!!! I'm moving to Oklahoma City!! So much fun!! Cant wait!!

Old 06-09-2012, 08:56 AM

6,420 posts, read 11,594,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
San Diego has too many wealthy middle-class enclaves to ever turn Democratic. The reason San Diego has retained the incredible quality of life it has is because of Republicans. Just take a look at every other Democrat/liberal-run city in the state. Nothing but a mess. You have to be a fool if you want San Diego to turn Democrat.
Nuts.

San Diego has retained the incredible quality of life it has because of the weather.

You don't think this city is a mess? Try watching the news!

Old 06-09-2012, 09:15 AM

1,331 posts, read 2,334,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdlife619 View Post

With more companies downsizing and cutting wages for even more and more profits, how does the government expect the economy to get better? Corporations have a responsibilty to also make sure things improve if they want to continue to be successful and prosperous.

Any "Good" and "Honest, Caring" company would think like honest people do, sacrifice some profit, at the expense of helping and supporting American jobs. A lot of Private companies do this right, it's the Public one's, the bigger than life corporations that are in the stock market, are the most shadiest and careless to deal with.

This is why I will never support Republican causes, it's all out belief in Free Market Capitalism with zero regulations is crazy to me. It only benefits the very few at the highest positions, while everyone at the bottom get's screwed.

The Repub thugz are well documented at loving war and George W Bush was one huge fan of it.
"Modern libertarians feel they should be able to do whatever they want. Liberties of any who disagree are often hypocritically cast aside with fallacious excuses to rationalize the libertarian's actions. This especially applies to the realm of capitalism. In an economy with finite resources, limited government ensures capitalists can act with impunity & the rights of individuals, doing as they please, & perpetuating few wealthy & many poor. The adoption of libertarianism is often not due to a refined comprehension of the constitution, but rather, parental indoctrination.

Many opinion-based beliefs of such libertarians include: all rich people earned it with hard work and will, all poor have only themselves to blame, no one's entitled to anything (not even healthcare), and success and failure are black and white. To them, sociological advantages & disadvantages are nonexistent; all people have to work equally hard to attain and retain wealth. Being born mostly into high-income families, they're accustomed to security & resources. They have little concept of hardship. Psychologically, they ascribe notions of hardship to experiences most people of lower socioeconomic strata know to be frivolous (feeling entitled to great gain, wealth they're accustomed to, but with objectively disproportionate effort)."

Urban Dictionary: Libertarian

It is true that most self proclaimed Libertarians were born into a family that was well off so they never experienced being poor. I have a friend who is a staunch Libertarian. She believes that if you don't go to college to become an accountant or doctor or engineer then it is your own fault if you become poor.

Many of these people would pay zero taxes if they could and that is just not realistic. I pay my taxes and I sleep better knowing that it is going to help those who need and that those who abuse the system are few.

Old 06-09-2012, 01:00 PM

1,665 posts, read 2,974,862 times
Look, we're all bitching and moaning about pensions, but guess what every single employee hired by the city until the date the 401ks go into effect -- if they do -- will get.

A pension. So that means that accountant will get a pension. Of course, that makes up for him not getting social security.

And he got a whole hell of a lot less than he'd make in the private sector, contrary to UT propaganda. I knew people working for PWC who were making $150K five or six years out of college. You think they're getting that in the city office? Bah.

In my dealing with both public sector and private sector employees, I've seen very little difference between the workforce motivation. And if you think I'm wrong, go to Walmart, and see if the people who are working there give a rat's ass anymore than the people at the DMV do.

We are being sold a whole lot of crap. The only sure thing with prop B is that we will have to pay tens of millions to make the switch to a 401k style plan. The savings come from hoping that a bunch of pissed off unions will say, sure, freeze my salary for five years. City cops are already paid less than their counterparts in other California cities. Think they'll be up for that?

Old 06-09-2012, 03:47 PM

2,979 posts, read 1,565,068 times
Quote:
Susan Golding, Dick Murphy, and Jerry Sanders are all Republicans.

Old 06-09-2012, 09:05 PM

50,279 posts, read 47,032,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
The same way I do?
^ this

Plus, I can't think of one private sector job that makes more in SD than other Cities. I don't see why we have to use tax dollars to fund retirements at a higher level than the private sector gets in SD. What makes the gov crowd so special?

Old 06-10-2012, 04:32 AM

1,090 posts, read 1,594,499 times
Quote:
Yes, you're right: everyone wants to relocate to Omaha, Oklahoma City, Tulsa, Birmingham, Whichita, Topeka, Louisville, Lincoln, Sioux Falls etc etc... lovely places, aren't they?
Whereas New York City, Seattle, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Boston are such boring places: none wants to relocate there
Also, from Wikipedia: "Although San Diego has a Republican mayor, in 2007, registered Democrats outnumbered Republicans by about 7 to 6 in the city, and Democrats currently hold a 5–3 majority in the City Council"
And don't forget that San Diego has had several Democrat mayors
I'd love to understand in which alternative reality you live... let me guess: you're a conservative, are you?

Last edited by italianuser; 06-10-2012 at 05:23 AM..

Old 06-10-2012, 08:00 AM

4,630 posts, read 10,274,083 times
Here is the problem nationally.
I know what the republican policies are and dont like them.
I have no idea what agenda or policies the Democrats have or favor.

Regardless, back to the OP and cable news soundbites, how do you think party politics plays at the local level and how it truly will affect you?
What solutions besides not voting for the party you dont like do you have? Do you know who to address for issues you have?

As far as cliches about party affiliation, one can call liberals the party of 'do as I say, not as I do' just as much as panning just about any other party or slant of a party. Whats the point? If you dont like what you see that is tangible, then do something about it. Blaming national policy or parties is pointless snd a no win strategy if it doesnt start in front of you. I guarantee if you were to volunteer locally for just about type charitsble organization, you would work side by side with people that may be a Repub, Dem or Libertarian. It wont matter because its sll bs at the end of the day when you are actually achieving something. Why not spend time doing something thsn just pointing out macro national policies you cant control?

Typically in my experience the biggest complainers are all bark and no bite. Find the people that make decisiins if you wont do it yourself and work with them instaed of against them or blaming others. If more than the dismal <25% of the voters that showed up did that, you might be surprised at seeing govt actually working.
Right now, govt is working exactly the way its supposed to be based on who actually shows up at the polls or runs for a seat. If there are in fact that many more registered dems in SD then shame on them for not showing up and leaving the rest of the other dems holding the bag.

Last edited by shmoov_groovzsd; 06-10-2012 at 08:32 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego