Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-23-2007, 10:49 PM
SDF SDF started this thread

52 posts, read 245,764 times

Advertisements

Folks, forgive me if I've missed threads regarding this issue in the past, but I've been wanting to touch on it from the perspective of a Caucasian SD native who has had extensive contact with the Spanish-Speaking population in SoCal. I've seen threads on the Miami board that are out of control on this topic. Obviously, that is a city of predominantly Cuban Immigrants; since we are so close to the border here, I'd like to see the experiences of those of all ethnicities here in SD in regard to the need/experiences with Spanish..

Personally, I started learning Espanol when I was 15 years old, I'm 28 now. Nobody in my family speaks it. Through a combination of high school classes, two semesters of college, conversing with the guys/gals at work and my wife's family, and studying the libro de verbos/ y diccionario for years, I've developed skills that I'd say are about 80% fluent in speaking, and even moreso in writing and reading (see my responses to San Phlegmatico).

I work in the Lemon Grove area, in customer service, and have customers' DAILY who ask me "hablas espanol" ? (forgive the lack of accents). Of course I'm more than happy to oblige, and find most of them to really need the assistance. One guy stated that he's trying to learn English, but it's difficult. I mentioned that as he's looking around the place at all the signs and other information time and time again, he should try to internalize it. I suppose it's easier said than done, and time allotted to learning depends on the level of motivation, and level of education.

Shopping in Wal-Mart in the South Bay, I'd say I hear Spanish about 90% of the time, and see many, many Front BC license plates, even though half the cashiers you see are white or african-american. So I ask, what are your experiences?...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2007, 11:48 PM

1,658 posts, read 7,574,731 times
Well I live in the S.Bay and it is not little Mexico.It might have the highest amounts of Mexicans/Mexican-Americans but it's still diverse.My old high school is about 60%MEX,25%White,15% black and the rest other.I know enough Spanish to get by(note,I am African American)so it helps to know some.I have friends from many backgrounds and they all said it took them longer to learn English more than any other language.

Old 09-23-2007, 11:54 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,405,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDF View Post
Folks, forgive me if I've missed threads regarding this issue in the past, but I've been wanting to touch on it from the perspective of a Caucasian SD native who has had extensive contact with the Spanish-Speaking population in SoCal. I've seen threads on the Miami board that are out of control on this topic. Obviously, that is a city of predominantly Cuban Immigrants; since we are so close to the border here, I'd like to see the experiences of those of all ethnicities here in SD in regard to the need/experiences with Spanish..

Personally, I started learning Espanol when I was 15 years old, I'm 28 now. Nobody in my family speaks it. Through a combination of high school classes, two semesters of college, conversing with the guys/gals at work and my wife's family, and studying the libro de verbos/ y diccionario for years, I've developed skills that I'd say are about 80% fluent in speaking, and even moreso in writing and reading (see my responses to San Phlegmatico).

I work in the Lemon Grove area, in customer service, and have customers' DAILY who ask me "hablas espanol" ? (forgive the lack of accents). Of course I'm more than happy to oblige, and find most of them to really need the assistance. One guy stated that he's trying to learn English, but it's difficult. I mentioned that as he's looking around the place at all the signs and other information time and time again, he should try to internalize it. I suppose it's easier said than done, and time allotted to learning depends on the level of motivation, and level of education.

Shopping in Wal-Mart in the South Bay, I'd say I hear Spanish about 90% of the time, and see many, many Front BC license plates, even though half the cashiers you see are white or african-american. So I ask, what are your experiences?...
use your senior centers and adult schools to get you where you want to go.
sounds like you dont lack much. adult school in CV is very good.
i also used a tutor in t.j. helped immensely. try to just watch mexican tv and read mex papers and just listen to mex radio.
good luck.
stephen s
san deigo ca

Old 09-24-2007, 08:36 AM

9,525 posts, read 30,473,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDF View Post
You are seeing the middle-class people from TJ going shopping on the weekends.

Old 09-24-2007, 12:24 PM
SDF SDF started this thread

52 posts, read 245,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
You are seeing the middle-class people from TJ going shopping on the weekends.
Good ole B1/B2 Visa/Border Crossing Cards
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego