Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2009, 12:55 PM

9,525 posts, read 30,471,515 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tande1n5 View Post
Bors have exploded recently. They're in the other suburbs too, taking the skater look and adding the generally inarticulate characteristics. I've noticed them in Northern CA as well when visiting my parents for the holidays.
I see a dichotomy among the young people today. The mainstream youth culture is centered around a technocrat / post-punk / 80's throwback sentiment that is big on internet / mobile / media. They are at least obstensibly connected to the world and each other and seem to care. On the other side there is a large but shrinking group of disenfranchised, poor-to-moderately-educated young people who are still into the bro / hip-hop / gangster / anti-social stuff and are increasingly finding themselves left out of the trends of their peers.

One thing I see living near SDSU is a large number of young white males with almost zero chance of ever being employable due to attitude / dress, while the females and the immigrant / minority students seem to be much more together. A lot of the minority kids are eschewing the hip-hop stereotype and moving more towards the "Kanye" look with tight jeans and funky sneakers, a much less 'hard' look. When I go back to the east coast it seems like most white kids are stuck in the 90's and are still wearing FUBU and ECKO and other goofy stuff that went out 10 years ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2009, 01:39 PM

812 posts, read 4,082,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
I see a dichotomy among the young people today. The mainstream youth culture is centered around a technocrat / post-punk / 80's throwback sentiment that is big on internet / mobile / media. They are at least obstensibly connected to the world and each other and seem to care. On the other side there is a large but shrinking group of disenfranchised, poor-to-moderately-educated young people who are still into the bro / hip-hop / gangster / anti-social stuff and are increasingly finding themselves left out of the trends of their peers.

One thing I see living near SDSU is a large number of young white males with almost zero chance of ever being employable due to attitude / dress, while the females and the immigrant / minority students seem to be much more together. A lot of the minority kids are eschewing the hip-hop stereotype and moving more towards the "Kanye" look with tight jeans and funky sneakers, a much less 'hard' look. When I go back to the east coast it seems like most white kids are stuck in the 90's and are still wearing FUBU and ECKO and other goofy stuff that went out 10 years ago.
I agree with that, I should say that the explosion is mostly within the people that are within that latter group, and I attest it to the style becoming the new 'in' thing as the formerly segmented hooligan looks mix, not from an increase of idiots or anti-social behavior, necessarily. If anything, it IS declining on the whole.

There certainly is a "get on the boat or be left behind" mentality, and as time passes, the more the rift's going to be obvious. I was going to state not too many years ago and as a business student you could see the ones that were going to get it and those that weren't. In the 400 levels, the numbers were of course heavily in favor of those that "got it," but taking a step out into the quads, where you were with a true mix of those that would be eternally stuck in lower division-land, you could see this same thing.

Old 02-24-2009, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tande1n5 View Post
I agree with that, I should say that the explosion is mostly within the people that are within that latter group, and I attest it to the style becoming the new 'in' thing as the formerly segmented hooligan looks mix, not from an increase of idiots or anti-social behavior, necessarily. If anything, it IS declining on the whole.
I think the bro thing really peaked around 2000... at that point it was everywhere. Skaters in particular have moved on for the most part. Travis Barker, Blink 182 et al are pretty much ancient history at this point.

Old 02-24-2009, 03:09 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,191,740 times
I spent time in college both here in CA and also back east while the bro scene was in its infancy. while back east pretty much every young person wore ambercrombie clothes, i really didn't see anyone wearing fubu or anything like that. when i came back home, the emo scene was growing and eveyone was wearing black, which mixed with the punk rock scene of wearing dickies and having tattoes, which also mixed with the motocross style of trucker caps and a "white trash" look to ultimately form the look of the bro: skate shoes, black socks pulled up half way to the knee, large/baggy dickies short/pants, black tshirts with favorite clothing brand emblazened across the front, and ball cap with flat bill. As others have mentioned, this also usually came with tattoos and piercings. The most common tattoos seem to be nautical stars, flames, and sparrows.

Old 02-24-2009, 06:50 PM

213 posts, read 744,681 times
yes there everywhere. they came out of EC & now u can find them anywhere.

Old 02-25-2009, 08:35 AM

14 posts, read 57,352 times
I know the "bro" scene all too well as I used to be one back in 2001 until 2004. Its all relative in terms of what social class and extracuricular activities you chose to partake in. I used to race off road trucks and surrounded myself around that type: wore all black, flat-biller hats, didnt give a damn attitude, but avoided any tattoos. Until one day I literally woke up and was over the stigma behind it. I sold my truck, matured, realized that society thought I was a dumbass and didnt want to be labeled that way anymore.

I honestly believe its the same attitude as being in a gang in any other part of town; the same concepts apply.
-You do what others around you are doing, if not, you'll be ostracized
-The more the group does something, the more you'll do it
-You tend to stick to what you're familiar with

Do I miss that lifestyle? Absolutely not.
Do I think its deeper than just wanting to be a bro? Yes.
Why? I think socioeconomics mixed with the idea of a "cool guy" subculture thrives within that trend.

I get it. I believe everyone has the right to label themselves however they choose but there are definitely stigmas attached to everything and being a "bro" doesnt help with the "DGAF" stickers on the back of their trucks (Dont Give A F**K).

Let those guys do their thing, let the gangsters do their thing, let me do my thing and let the roads of our decisions take us to where we want to go.

Old 02-25-2009, 02:15 PM

1,115 posts, read 3,133,665 times
These kind of guys have been around forever. I used to meet guys like this in Northern California way back in like 1995. It was a little bit different though up there. They usually drove muscle cars instead of trucks and they usually wore white hats and shirts instead of black. And up there they were usually really poor, and they came from the most run down places in the city. In SoCal most of them are rich kids who waste thousands of dollars and trucks and crap.

But besides that it was basically the same. Just white gangster style.

Old 02-26-2009, 10:02 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,595,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeInSoCal View Post
yes there everywhere. they came out of EC & now u can find them anywhere.
I don't think the Bros came from the East Coast. ISTM to be an indigenous California phenomenon that merely paralleled the Guido of the Northeast and the Chav of Great Britain. There were obviously similar cultural influences at work throughout the US (and UK) that caused all three to emerge in their current form about the same time. Blaming Broism on the East is as ridiculous as blaming it on England (or likewise Brits claiming that Chavs came from California, or New Yorkers claiming that Guidos were a CA import).

As to when it started, I'd say late '90s, with the emergence of Sublime and their popularity (certainly the #1 Bro band)

Old 02-27-2009, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
I don't think the Bros came from the East Coast.
By "EC" he means El Cajon.

Old 02-27-2009, 10:23 AM

14 posts, read 57,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
By "EC" he means El Cajon.
I concur.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego