Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2009, 02:28 PM

317 posts, read 1,753,223 times

Advertisements

Sassberto, et. al, this is dakicka the jersey boy who was debating on orange county or san diego for a while and i finally moved to orange county in march of 2007. ive been in irvine, and now laguna hills, and contemplating moving to Costa Mesa for a more urban/happening feel, but feel I might be kidding myself since it's still very suburban and a 'singles/nightlife/social scene' is rather limited up here. While the people (pI previously though were all superficial/fake/selfish) thing has gotten a lot better- as i became a bit more open to making new types of friends, im still battling with the boring factor. im a 28 yr old single guy, albeit don't want to be single forever, but- since i AM single now, i want stuff to do, particularly a happening nightlife scene, great restaurants, ability to hit the beach without a 30 minute drive (inside of 15 minutes would be great), and a social area to meet new people- preferably a fun apartment complex, and also either IN or close to downtown. Not looking for a college party scene, but am looking for an active lifestyle and ability to have a larger pool of mid to late 20's, early 30's to socialize with and potentially make friends. I've been in OC for 2.5 years and sadly enough I only have 3 friends I can count on and only a few acquaintances. The girls seem to come and go very quickly around here.

I was hoping you could help me re-group here and start narrowing down some targets to hit in the next 2 weeks so i can re-venture out there and decide on if it's the spot for me... the funny thing is whenever i mention to oc people 'what do u like to do for fun' they all mention some boring married type activities, then i say what about downtown san diego, ever go there? they all reply 'i loveeeeee san diego, it's so beautiful and fun there' and i scratch my head and wonder why more people don't live there? i find NO ONE complaints about sd, but on the contrary many people in SD hate on OC as well as people within OC hate on OC, hmmm.... I also don't like LA at all- traffic/people, but SD seems to have it all- truely.

Job-Wise, I can figure that out, I run my own small biz coaching kids for football camps, also bartend part-time at a high-volume nightclub (if I could find a gig there in DT I'd be golden) but I know it's very hard to just land one there... and for my 'real' job per say lol, I'm in Sales & Marketing and I'd want to try to land a gig in SD for something in technology, software, internet, startup, etc.. My main intention is to find out where is the best fit for me to LIVE first... When I moved to OC I picked somewhere close to Newport Beach because it was a great job market for what I did at the time, but I regret it now since I didn't like the area even though it's beautiful. Laguna Hills is wonderful though, great community, awesome people, lot of families which is good/bad for me, but it keeps the area nice and lot of sports leagues and nice parents, but not enough kids my age and nothing to do after 9pm.

Any guidance would be much appreciated, here's my criteria:

1. Live in a 'happening' spot- i.e. proximity to multiple activities- nightlife, shopping

2. Close to great restaurants as well as an array of other places to eat

3. Close/Near Downtown (if not in Downtown)--- however thinking I may like the nice neighborhood feel and palm trees/pool of a fun apartment complex close by DT but maybe not in it? i'm not sure...

4. An area/neighborhood/apartment complex with 20's and 30's people my age (I'm late 20's-- straight--- not a gay neighborhood either).

5. Access to Beach--- PB/MB/Other within 15-20 min.ish max

6. The immediate neighborhood should not be gangland and predominately caucasian. I'm not looking for La Jolla upper class rich environment, but do want a generally 'safe' area- although I don't want it to be 'sterile' and PERFECT like Newport Beach, La Jolla like, etc.

Much thanks for all your help! The SD Forum is the most user driven, I've posted on the OC forum several times and people talk about cars, botox, real estate, and money, they can't seem to talk about non-materialistic things, it's weird. I appreciate your help!

Last edited by dakicka; 07-05-2009 at 02:40 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2009, 11:40 AM

any thoughts? thanks for any guidance or recommendations you can provide...

Old 07-06-2009, 11:51 AM

18,965 posts, read 32,459,369 times
Little Italy, Cortez Hill, Gaslamp, East Village are all downtown neighborhoods that might work. Gaslamp and East Village are kind of in the middle of it so not sure if you want that close to all the action.

North Park & University Heights area is nice but still gentryfying so it might be a little too rough around the edges for you. But lots of great restuarnats in the area.

UTC and Mission Valley - Orange Countyish with newer apartment complexes but good amount of younger professionals.

North PB and Crown Point might work as well if you can put up with the PB scene on Garnett.

Old 07-06-2009, 02:15 PM

north park & university heights-- so what's the story? it's older and they're trying to spruce it up?
what is south park relative to north park? cortez hill... is that just north of downtown? when you say utc/mission valley is orange countyISH--- what does that mean? how is it like OC? younger professionals-newer apartment complexes sound good to me.

Old 07-06-2009, 03:50 PM

18,965 posts, read 32,459,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dakicka View Post
north park & university heights-- so what's the story? it's older and they're trying to spruce it up?
basically. I don't spend too much time in the area but other posters might be able to answer your questions about that area.
Quote:
what is south park relative to north park?
It's along the southeast section of Balboa Park.
Quote:
cortez hill... is that just north of downtown?
It's kind of in downtown, just a small neighborhood right near the corner of Balboa Park where the I-5 S-curve is.
Quote:
when you say utc/mission valley is orange countyISH--- what does that mean? how is it like OC? younger professionals-newer apartment complexes sound good to me.
It's mainly newer, large "luxury" apartment complexes similar to all the big developments in UTC. I find Mission Valley a little more "happening" than UTC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego