Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2012, 03:07 PM

218 posts, read 288,491 times

Advertisements

My husband has been offered a job in LaJolla. We have a 15 year old daughter. We have moved quite a bit and are hopeful this is our last move.

My husband's job will be in LaJolla, located near the I-5 and I-805 interchange. He's looking for a commute of no more than 15 - 20 minutes.

We would like to rent for a year or two. Our monthly rental range is $3,000 - $3,500.

We would like to live within walking distance to the beach, shops, activities, etc. However, we would also like a family community so our daughter will have friends close by. Which areas are most likely to have families with teen aged children?

Do families live in condos and townhouses in LaJolla? If we rented in a complex, would there be plenty of kids for her to socialize with?

If we rent in LaJolla closer to I-5, we could afford a larger family house. If we are close to the beach, it would be a small home or a condo/townhouse.

Those who have downsized from a larger home to a bungalow type home, did you miss the space?

Any help would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2012, 07:42 PM

490 posts, read 1,557,796 times
Check out the Bird Rock area of La Jolla. She could go to La Jolla H.S., husband could drive a bit up the hill to work; shops/ restaurants nearby

Old 07-31-2012, 02:20 PM

Thanks!

Do families live in the condo complexes and townhouses? Or is it mostly single/married people?

Old 07-31-2012, 02:53 PM

5,024 posts, read 7,593,598 times
Bird Rock is my favorite area of La Jolla. Very family oriented, walkable business area, and nice nearby beaches.

Not sure if the condos and townhomes in Bird Rock are mostly singles. You may need to walk the area and check it out for yourself.

La Jolla Shores is a great family area too. One of the best beaches in the area.

Old 08-02-2012, 05:10 PM

601 posts, read 1,454,795 times
15-20 minutes radius to La Jolla with a family centric community with lots of kids & teenagers? $3000-$3500 rental price range? Take your pick: University City, Clairemont, La Jolla Proper, Carmel Valley, Torrey Hills (West Penasquitos), Torrey Pines - Del Mar, Encinitas, Leucadia, Pacific Heights (West Mira Mesa/Sorrento Valley), La Costa Canyon. Lots of communities with the qualities you're looking for eastward down the 56 fwy that connects to the I-5 and is very near the I-5, 805 split.

Look for your rental here:

http://hotpads.com/

Old 08-04-2012, 05:46 PM

Thanks for the replies.

I guess I am wondering if my budget will afford the California lifestyle.....ie beach, outdoor living, etc.

I don't want to move to California to end up in a suburban, cul-de-sac situation.

I am very interested in the Bird Rock, Barber Beach Tract, and La Jolla Shores areas. Hopefully, we can find a nice rental for a year or two.

Old 08-04-2012, 06:59 PM

5,024 posts, read 7,593,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarberryPl View Post
I am very interested in the Bird Rock, Barber Beach Tract, and La Jolla Shores areas. Hopefully, we can find a nice rental for a year or two.
In the $3-$4k range you should find a decent rental in coastal La Jolla. Some seasoned property owners will give you a good deal if you agree to a 2 year lease.

I just walked my dogs around La Jolla Cove this morning. The place was beautiful and the weather was perfect (as usual). Lots of people both in and out of the water. The water temp was a chilly 65 degrees.

Old 08-08-2012, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruitr View Post
In the $3-$4k range you should find a decent rental in coastal La Jolla. Some seasoned property owners will give you a good deal if you agree to a 2 year lease.

I just walked my dogs around La Jolla Cove this morning. The place was beautiful and the weather was perfect (as usual). Lots of people both in and out of the water. The water temp was a chilly 65 degrees.

Thanks.

Seasonal rentals (weekly, monthly) seem quite expensive. If I were to approach an owner with an offer, what percent discount would you expect they would give for a long term rental (18 - 24 months)?

I plan on coming to California in the next week or two to do a house hunting trip. My husband will be starting his new job mid-September. His company will pay for temporary housing for 90 days. The relo company sent us some 2 bedroom apartment info, but I think we will look into a seasonal rental in Bird Rock or La Jolla shores instead. That way, he can get a good idea of the area before my daughter and I arrive in January.

I visited LaJolla last month for a couple of days, but didn't get a good enough feel of the residential areas. I really appreciate everyone's help. This move is very difficult for my daughter and I.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego