Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2012, 07:47 AM

3 posts, read 5,675 times

Advertisements

Hi,

my husband and I are moving to San Diego in August. I will be starting grad school at SDSU and he will be working in that area as well (Not entirely sure where his company's office is, but I know it's near MIssion Valley?).

Anyway I am completely out of my element trying to figure out where to live. I just want some feedback on what areas OF areas are good to look at. I've read enough to know that certain areas of La Mesa, Serra Mesa, Clairemont, North Park(?), are good... but I've having difficulty establishing exactly what I should steer away from in those regions.

Also, although I'm attending SDSU, I don't really need to live right near it. I'm okay with a bit further but I don't know what traffic is generally like, or how long certain distances really are.

I guess any feedback would be super helpful. And if anyone has a recommendation on an apartment complex, that would be great too. Safe, preferably with a washer/dryer, and within 11 or 1200 (max). Wishful thinking? I hope not.

THANK YOU!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2012, 11:13 PM

1,665 posts, read 2,974,663 times
Where do you live in Maryland right now? That will allow me to give you an idea of something comparable. For example, if you live in Potomac or Chevy Chase, say hello to Rancho Santa Fe. Bethesda? Try La Jolla or downtown. Rockville? La Mesa might be a good place.

You get the idea.

I would say do not live in Mission Valley. It's like the worst of Rockville, where you've got a mall followed by an office building followed by a gas station and then another mall and office building.

Old 06-27-2012, 08:07 AM

Yeah I'm not keen on Mission Valley myself. Currently we live in Columbia, MD. FYI I used to study and live in Berkeley, CA so we're not all suburban (or I'm not at least) at heart.

Old 06-29-2012, 01:12 PM

Does anyone know anything about this area:
118 S Pierce St, El Cajon, CA 92020
Grossmont Terrace is the name of the apartment complex I think.

Old 06-29-2012, 01:21 PM

231 posts, read 640,052 times
El Cajon is not my cup of tea as my preference is for urban areas so I would be checking out Kensington, Normal Heights, University Heights, North Park, Mission Hills, Balboa Park, Bankers Hill, etc.

Old 06-29-2012, 07:49 PM

Columbia...hmmm. I'd say that maybe Rancho Bernardo matches it. But that's going to be a long way from SDSU.

When I was moving here from Bethesda, I looked at North Park. I liked it, but I really enjoyed being downtown and being in the middle of everything. I've got some friends who love living in North Park and a few that live in University Heights. That may also work for you.

Old 06-30-2012, 10:14 AM

6,420 posts, read 11,593,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyinsd View Post
Columbia...hmmm. I'd say that maybe Rancho Bernardo matches it. But that's going to be a long way from SDSU.

When I was moving here from Bethesda, I looked at North Park. I liked it, but I really enjoyed being downtown and being in the middle of everything. I've got some friends who love living in North Park and a few that live in University Heights. That may also work for you.
Tony, do you think Kensington/Talmadge would be comparable to Columbia? The only experience I have of Columbia is driving to the mall one Sunday ... one event Sunday. It was a horrible experience!

Oh, and thank deities we have nothing even close to Kings Annoyance.

Old 06-30-2012, 02:41 PM

Somewhat. With Columbia being a master planned community and a suburb, it's tough to compare it to an urban neighborhood. Kensington/Talmadge does have the same kind of mix of single family homes and apartments that Columbia does.

Mirage, this is a great tool to get the general vibe of a neighborhood.

http://www.sandiego.gov/planning/com...es/index.shtml

Last edited by tonyinsd; 06-30-2012 at 02:52 PM..

Old 07-01-2012, 10:39 AM

2,299 posts, read 4,825,934 times
I'm sure Tony's experience with Columbia is more recent than mine, but since it is a master planned community, I would
think some of the North Counties and where I live in the South. It is much more closer and easier to SDSU from Eastlake than from up North though.
But if you're looking for the Berkeley vibe, then I would stick with University Heights, North Park, South Park, Normal Heights and even Kensington for that Rockbridge/Montrose feel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego