Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2012, 10:22 AM

2,299 posts, read 4,826,881 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissFlamingo View Post
The area is very trendy with young hipster types who rent these places before they even reach craigslist. The public schools in this area are horrible. Theres not many areas in San Diego with quite the same vibe as North Park, but with kids I'd look at the Poway area if schools are a big concern. It's not nearly as "cool" as North Park though. Family friendly areas closer to central San Diego are La Mesa and Clairemont. Downtown La Mesa is very cute and walkable, around the area they hold oktoberfest. North Park can be spotty as well as safety. Whatever you do, do NOT go east of 805. I lived off university two blocks east of 805 for 3 months. Don't even go one block east of 805. It's like night and day.
Okay MissFlamingo, my apologies for misunderstanding portions of this post. I do believe however, that City Heights is not that bad. We haven't lived there, but just driving through does not reflect the pure ghetto-ish and impoverished feel you get from places on the east coast and in the south.

I also agree that La Mesa is a cute and walkable area, I wish their schools gave me a more secure feel about their viability.

I do love the area of North and South Park adjacent to Balboa Park, it does look like a very welcoming and walkable area as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2012, 01:03 PM

3,545 posts, read 6,032,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fdrubio1977 View Post
OP here: Thanks a lot for the info. I didn't know that North Park had that reputation about being a hipster's paradise. When we went to SD to do some scouting about places to live, North Park and South Park were the ones we really liked (at least at first glance), probably because, having lived in London and New York for a long time, they were the ones we felt were more urban; and were it would be more likely to have some shops within walking distance. But having said that, hipsters is something that we REALLY want to avoid. So, any other areas worth looking at? That is, areas that have that kind of urban feel MINUS hipsters? University Heights perhaps?
OK, I really gotta know what everyone means when they say "hipster". I'm 40, ex-punker, have tattoos, but dress pretty "normal" (jeans, t-shirts, a little bit of a vintage-y thing), ride a bike, can my own jams and such, shop at the farmers' market, support locally-owned businesses, and have a college degree (in science, even) and a job.

I get the feeling people might be referring to my "type" when they say "hipsters" just as much as other people might be referring to the 21-year-old dudes with handlebar moustaches and suspenders (who I think are silly looking, but whatever). Either way, I don't understand why "hipsters" would be the kind of thing you'd want to AVOID. Unless you're talking about clueless teenage kids, a good portion of the "alternative" or "hipster" types that you'll see in the NP, NH, SP, UH, etc areas are college-educated, employed, have productive hobbies, and in many, many cases (such as my own) have lived in, contributed to, rasied families in, and participate(d) in the community for years, if not decades, and many of the small, non-chain, local businesses that make the area what it is, and consequently the type of area that people are interested in living in, are owned by aging hipsters (ask about North Park's reputation just 10 years ago. go on).

Really, the biggest problems we've had in the neighborhood in the past few years have been noise/drunkeness/urinating issues ever since True North started literally bussing people in from PB to party in the "hood". Several of my "hipster"-type friends have actually moved away from that park of North Park because of the disrespectful and destructive bar patrons. You know, the ones who dress "normal".

Thanks for listening.
/rant

Last edited by Jenkay; 07-02-2012 at 01:14 PM..

Old 07-02-2012, 04:36 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,274,962 times
Jenkay, yeah I know what you mean. I also dont think of it is a negative necessarily when it comes to 'hipsters'. As far as True North, it just doenst fit in the 30th corridor at least in the way the other businesses have. I just had dinner this weekend at Urban Solace and just look at True North like wtf when compared with the rest of the 30th street vibe and scratch my head in amazement. It is like PB transported that place over to NP.

As far as 'hipsters' there are the ones like you are talking about and then the poseurs/bad attitude/trendy hipsters. This shouldnt be too shocking in any social subculture though. To me its harmless and I dont think any of the businesses in NP are particularly unfriendly in the slightest. In other words, in some cities I have been to, hipsters have a sort of passive elitist attitude about their business or way they do things. If you ask a relatively open question, you get a snarky look like 'oh you dont know where our locally sustainable farm raised chickens come from that are massaged daily etc?'. Of course I am exaggerating but I think you get my drift

My feeling is that SD is considerably short on population in the latter. I have met really cool peeps/business owners in N Park and for some of the small businesses I frequent there, they have a lot of integrity in what they do and even remember my wife and I.
But if someone has had bad hipster experience, that might give an idea.

Old 07-02-2012, 04:50 PM

2,299 posts, read 4,826,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenkay View Post
OK, I really gotta know what everyone means when they say "hipster". I'm 40, ex-punker, have tattoos, but dress pretty "normal" (jeans, t-shirts, a little bit of a vintage-y thing), ride a bike, can my own jams and such, shop at the farmers' market, support locally-owned businesses, and have a college degree (in science, even) and a job.

I get the feeling people might be referring to my "type" when they say "hipsters" just as much as other people might be referring to the 21-year-old dudes with handlebar moustaches and suspenders (who I think are silly looking, but whatever). Either way, I don't understand why "hipsters" would be the kind of thing you'd want to AVOID. Unless you're talking about clueless teenage kids, a good portion of the "alternative" or "hipster" types that you'll see in the NP, NH, SP, UH, etc areas are college-educated, employed, have productive hobbies, and in many, many cases (such as my own) have lived in, contributed to, rasied families in, and participate(d) in the community for years, if not decades, and many of the small, non-chain, local businesses that make the area what it is, and consequently the type of area that people are interested in living in, are owned by aging hipsters (ask about North Park's reputation just 10 years ago. go on).

Really, the biggest problems we've had in the neighborhood in the past few years have been noise/drunkeness/urinating issues ever since True North started literally bussing people in from PB to party in the "hood". Several of my "hipster"-type friends have actually moved away from that park of North Park because of the disrespectful and destructive bar patrons. You know, the ones who dress "normal".

Thanks for listening.
/rant
I'm with you Jenkay, I don't think I understand either. Here is one of the definitions from the Urban Dictionary.
"Hipsters are a subculture of men and women typically in their 20's and 30's that value independent thinking, counter-culture, progressive politics, an appreciation of art and indie-rock, creativity, intelligence, and witty banter. The greatest concentrations of hipsters can be found living in the Williamsburg, Wicker Park, and Mission District neighborhoods of major cosmopolitan centers such as New York, Chicago, and San Francisco respectively. Although "hipsterism" is really a state of mind,it is also often intertwined with distinct fashion sensibilities. Hipsters reject the culturally-ignorant attitudes of mainstream consumers, and are often be seen wearing vintage and thrift store inspired fashions, tight-fitting jeans, old-school sneakers, and sometimes thick rimmed glasses. Both hipster men and women sport similar androgynous hair styles that include combinations of messy shag cuts and asymmetric side-swept bangs. Such styles are often associated with the work of creative stylists at urban salons, and are usually too "edgy" for the culturally-sheltered mainstream consumer. The "effortless cool" urban bohemian look of a hipster is exemplified in Urban Outfitters and American Apparel ads which cater towards the hipster demographic."

Old 07-02-2012, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shmoov_groovzsd View Post
Jenkay, yeah I know what you mean. I also dont think of it is a negative necessarily when it comes to 'hipsters'. As far as True North, it just doenst fit in the 30th corridor at least in the way the other businesses have. I just had dinner this weekend at Urban Solace and just look at True North like wtf when compared with the rest of the 30th street vibe and scratch my head in amazement. It is like PB transported that place over to NP.
I went up on the parking garage with a friend to look at the "super moon" and all was quiet on the street. We came down like 40 minutes later and there were girls dressed to "party" already staggering around and screaming at each other across the street lilke it was 2a.m.. I joked "wow, it's like the douche bus just let out" and was informed by the bouncer at Bar Pink (we were walking past and he had overheard) that there is, indeed, a bus from PB to NP on the weekends, and that it had, indeed, just let out. At 8p.m.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shmoov_groovzsd View Post
As far as 'hipsters' there are the ones like you are talking about and then the poseurs/bad attitude/trendy hipsters. This shouldnt be too shocking in any social subculture though. To me its harmless and I dont think any of the businesses in NP are particularly unfriendly in the slightest. In other words, in some cities I have been to, hipsters have a sort of passive elitist attitude about their business or way they do things. If you ask a relatively open question, you get a snarky look like 'oh you dont know where our locally sustainable farm raised chickens come from that are massaged daily etc?'. Of course I am exaggerating but I think you get my drift

My feeling is that SD is considerably short on population in the latter. I have met really cool peeps/business owners in N Park and for some of the small businesses I frequent there, they have a lot of integrity in what they do and even remember my wife and I.
But if someone has had bad hipster experience, that might give an idea.
I've never had any experience with anyone being "too cool" at any of the local businesses here. I've seen it happen in SF and NOLA (Never in Austin or Chicago, for some reason)..

I don't even know if that's what people mean when they say they want to avoid hipsters (seriously, can someone enlighten me?). It's really the only thing I can think of, really. I don't understand when people say they want to be in the areas with an "urban" feel, but don't want to be exposed to the very sort of people who have made it that way.

North Park and surrounding areas have so much variety when it comes to places to eat/drink/hang out that anyone can probably find something close to their niche, but it's also a vibrant, tolerant, and diverse community that's not gonna look at you sideways pretty much no matter what your socio-economic status, style of dress, taste in music, taste in food, etc. unless you walk into someplace with an attitude or start treating people with anything less than the respect they expect to be treated with (hence the general displeasure with the True North crowd in the neighborhood). I know I don't like the prevailing "culture" in PB, so I don't hang out there. If people don't want to experience folks that might be outside of their comfort zone, they should just stick to the 'burbs. I believe this to be true of ANY city, in any part of the world.

Old 07-02-2012, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingAloha View Post
I'm with you Jenkay, I don't think I understand either. Here is one of the definitions from the Urban Dictionary.
"Hipsters are a subculture of men and women typically in their 20's and 30's that value independent thinking, counter-culture, progressive politics, an appreciation of art and indie-rock, creativity, intelligence, and witty banter. The greatest concentrations of hipsters can be found living in the Williamsburg, Wicker Park, and Mission District neighborhoods of major cosmopolitan centers such as New York, Chicago, and San Francisco respectively. Although "hipsterism" is really a state of mind,it is also often intertwined with distinct fashion sensibilities. Hipsters reject the culturally-ignorant attitudes of mainstream consumers, and are often be seen wearing vintage and thrift store inspired fashions, tight-fitting jeans, old-school sneakers, and sometimes thick rimmed glasses. Both hipster men and women sport similar androgynous hair styles that include combinations of messy shag cuts and asymmetric side-swept bangs. Such styles are often associated with the work of creative stylists at urban salons, and are usually too "edgy" for the culturally-sheltered mainstream consumer. The "effortless cool" urban bohemian look of a hipster is exemplified in Urban Outfitters and American Apparel ads which cater towards the hipster demographic."
Hah, that's fairly spot-on for the (much) younger set, although nobody I know would shop at American Apparel or Urban Oufitters. Of course, I don't hang out with many folks in their 20s these days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego