Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2012, 07:30 PM

2,299 posts, read 4,825,934 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeelover1 View Post
You are brutally honest. No one can complain about your post. But matter of fact is I am a very reserved person (not very outgoing to anyone regardless of age,race sex etc....). That has pros and cons I guess. But anyways, I don't have relatives as I do here in houston that is what motivated me to ask things on the board, otherwise I wouldn't even have cared. But going to a new city where you literally know no-one, it is good to know the characterisitics of the city.
Moving to a new city is scary even if you have friends and family there. My opinion, California is not for everyone, because it may or may not fit the image depicted in movies. Most folks here live in a beautiful city, but live fairly mundane lives (work/school/home).

All I can atest to is that I grew up here (Los Angeles) and have lived in the Bay Area (LOVED IT) and now here in San Diego. This is home for me. The last time I lived in San Diego in the early 90s, I lived in Rancho Penasquitos (North County) and I did not necessarily like it; the neighbors were neighborly but not friendly (if that makes sense). We still found San Diego as a whole wonderful. When we decided to return to California, I initially wasn't sure if I wanted to move back to LA or to San Diego. The beauty of the city and what I remembered of my last time (less my immediate neighbors) was that SD was the place for us.

I just did not encounter any of the racist issues others have mentioned, not to say they aren't here, I just have not had those encounters. When I lived in Austin and then subsequently in Plano, TX - same thing, had a great time and made lasting friendships. But Texas was not where I wanted to be.

You must make the decision whether you want to start fresh in a fascinating and for some, a "Dream" location. If you will be employed, I hope you'll be able to quickly make friends with which you can "hang-out." I would also recommend getting involved in interest areas. For me, I've gotten involved in a local political party; that's what I did in Austin and as I mentioned before - still have close friendships.

Good luck to you no matter what you decide!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2012, 07:43 PM

93,290 posts, read 123,898,066 times
I'm surprised that no one has mentioned the military angle, as it brings in a diverse group of people to the area. Where do many of the military families live? Maybe those neighborhoods/communities will have a more integrated environment.

Old 07-06-2012, 08:51 PM

73,009 posts, read 62,585,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I'm surprised that no one has mentioned the military angle, as it brings in a diverse group of people to the area. Where do many of the military families live? Maybe those neighborhoods/communities will have a more integrated environment.
Alot of people forget the military factor, especially if they themselves are not in the military.

Old 07-07-2012, 02:42 PM

1,665 posts, read 2,974,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
It is interesting that someone mentioned Poway as being a not so good place for Black people. The only person I've ever heard of living in Poway is Tony Gwynn.
I think LT had a house up there, too.

As far as racism, yes, it exists, but you're much more likely to find it in the rural areas. I mean, the city is majority non-white. It's what the Klan fears, a place where "mud people" like the original poster and I comprise the majority of the population.

I haven't encountered any racism at all. Of course, I stay in my downtown/beach city bubble so I tend to avoid the areas where it might occur.

Old 07-07-2012, 04:24 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,471,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeelover1 View Post
you would notice it if you were in my shoes. It is kinda hard to see things from an observer point of view.
The sad thing is everything is racial (at least where I am at now). And denying things doesn't cause issues to disappear either (at least to the ones that are affected by it).
Please take a good look around San Diego. It's a major military town. There will be many blacks in and around there. It's the nature of the beast and it's been that way since the end of WW II in terms of the military. The Navy and Marine Corps are both well represented.

LOL! Just noticed that someone finally made the same observation yesterday. Hadn't made it this far.

Old 07-07-2012, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Please take a good look around San Diego. It's a major military town. There will be many blacks in and around there. It's the nature of the beast and it's been that way since the end of WW II in terms of the military. The Navy and Marine Corps are both well represented.

LOL! Just noticed that someone finally made the same observation yesterday. Hadn't made it this far.
What do you mean by "nature of the beast"?

Old 07-07-2012, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyinsd View Post
I think LT had a house up there, too.

As far as racism, yes, it exists, but you're much more likely to find it in the rural areas. I mean, the city is majority non-white. It's what the Klan fears, a place where "mud people" like the original poster and I comprise the majority of the population.

I haven't encountered any racism at all. Of course, I stay in my downtown/beach city bubble so I tend to avoid the areas where it might occur.
I've not heard the term "Mud People" before. I'm not sure if I like that or not - unless of course it's some of that fragrance infused mud found in some of the Spas!

Old 07-07-2012, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingAloha View Post
I've not heard the term "Mud People" before. I'm not sure if I like that or not - unless of course it's some of that fragrance infused mud found in some of the Spas!
I have. This is a term the Aryan Nations have used. Tom Metzger was part of White Aryan Resistance, and got politically involved in San Diego. He won California's 43rd Congressional District Democratic Primary in 1980 and then lost to Clair Burgener in the House of Representatives election. He ran for Senate in 1982 and lost royally.

Old 07-07-2012, 07:19 PM

Quote:
I have. This is a term the Aryan Nations have used. Tom Metzger was part of White Aryan Resistance, and got politically involved in San Diego. He won California's 43rd Congressional District Democratic Primary in 1980 and then lost to Clair Burgener in the House of Representatives election. He ran for Senate in 1982 and lost royally.
Ahhhh! thanks gm!

Old 07-07-2012, 07:22 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,471,872 times
Quote:
What do you mean by "nature of the beast"?
It's an idiom meaning the basic characteristics of something and referred to the military. What did you think I meant?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego