Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2012, 10:56 PM

8 posts, read 30,782 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone, I have a tremendous job offer in the San Diego area which I'm considering accepting. I'm from the DC/Northern Virginia area and I've grown accustomed to be surrounded by tons of young, educated, mature 20-30 somethings.

I have researched the bejesus out of San Diego online and just finished visiting. I've been to San Diego a couple times before, but this time I thoroughly visited many neighborhoods (Little Italy, Cortez, Hilcrest, North Park, Kensington, La Jolla, Gaslamp).

The one remaining question I have left, which I couldn't seem to find the answer to, is where are all the young professionals (late 20s - early 30s)?

I saw many areas that seemed like heaven if you're 18-21.

Gaslamp did have some more mature looking young folks during happy hour, but not many. It seemed to have a decent amount of tourists. Hilcrest was cool, and lots of interesting characters walking about, but I still didn't see the demographic I'm looking for.

Some areas were really attractive, like southern La Jolla / Hermosa, but it seemed to be mostly families. La Jolla with all the shops was definitely very touristy as well as family oriented.

Cortez and the Little Italy area seemed like a promising area for the professional crowd (some trendy buildings and ideally located), but I walked the streets and it was dead around 6-8pm other than families having dinner in Little Italy.

I realize there are not as many businesses in SD that would attract the demographic I'm looking for, but I was expecting there to be at least some. In a suburb of DC, Arlington, VA, we have block after block of single, young professionals (mostly in the 23-35 range) walking around all the time.

What am I missing? Where are the successful, 25-30 year old women? Anyone?

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2012, 10:57 PM

9,522 posts, read 30,352,038 times
Little Italy, east village, north side of PB. Not many here.

Old 07-06-2012, 11:01 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,118,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munsonroyg View Post
What am I missing? Where are the successful, 25-30 year old women? Anyone?
In Arlington where they can get those types of jobs. Sure you want to move?

Old 07-06-2012, 11:05 PM

1,471 posts, read 3,328,106 times
You are not going to find " tons " of professional 20 to early 30s something's. Key word being professional. There are lots of 20 somethings but most live paycheck to paycheck. There just is not the opportunity that exists in many other places. You will find pockets in the aforementioned areas. If you want tons, don't come, you will be disappointed.

Old 07-06-2012, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clevelandgal View Post
You are not going to find " tons " of professional 20 to early 30s something's. Key word being professional. There are lots of 20 somethings but most live paycheck to paycheck. There just is not the opportunity that exists in many other places. You will find pockets in the aforementioned areas. If you want tons, don't come, you will be disappointed.
Thanks for the responses. This is what I was suspecting. I guess I was willing that demographic to be there since everything else is so great in SD (weather, scenery, even more home for you buck than DC).

Old 07-06-2012, 11:15 PM

There are several former Washintonians around here. What we have in common is chosing quality of life over the humid, conjested DC rat race.since you have a great offer it is a no brainer since the biggest hurdle(getting a good job) is behind you. Also it is so casual here that the people you think are tourists, are locals. There are not many people posing after work in suits as you see in DC.

Old 07-06-2012, 11:23 PM

Quote:
There are several former Washintonians around here. What we have in common is chosing quality of life over the humid, conjested DC rat race.since you have a great offer it is a no brainer since the biggest hurdle(getting a good job) is behind you.
You're right about the rat race, Clevelandgal. I'm definitely ready to "work to live" rather than "live to work", but fear the social and dating challenges that appear to be there. Lack of conversation with like-minded individuals could be a deal-breaker.

Old 07-06-2012, 11:32 PM

Well it is not as if everyone is a moron here!

Old 07-06-2012, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Well it is not as if everyone is a moron here!
Of course not and I make friends with all types. It's just nice to closely relate to people is all. Thanks for your input!

Old 07-07-2012, 03:58 AM

7,242 posts, read 7,873,415 times
Check out Vavi as there are lots of young professionals who go on there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego