Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2012, 12:43 PM

15,129 posts, read 32,322,556 times

Advertisements

Good luck finding a place with your Great Danes, you definitely need a house! I have a friend thas has a duplex with a big yard in Clairemont, and she has a husky. She lives right off of Clairemont Mesa Drive, so check around there with the Indian named streets, because they have big yards.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2012, 12:45 PM

2,299 posts, read 4,826,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amber067 View Post
Just southeast of the intersection of 52 and I-5. Not sure what the lingo is or name of the area. West side of Clairemont. I've been checking craigslist so far. Most likely going to need to rent a room in a house, as I have 2 Great Danes and a kitty. Eeks! If anyone knows of anything, I would appreciate the lead! Would love to be within 20 minutes of work (preferably much closer) as I currently spend about $400-500/month in gas here in CO and can't handle that anymore. I've been looking in Clairemont, PB, La Jolla areas as I'm not sure where/what direction traffic is heavy.
Not sure of your budget, but my son lived at this place for a while and liked it. He has a Black Lab and I don't believe he paid more that $1100 for a one-bedroom.

eaves Mission Ridge - San Diego, CA Apartment Floorplans

Old 08-22-2012, 01:17 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,848,721 times
deleted message

Old 08-22-2012, 03:45 PM

6 posts, read 5,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
traffic is heavy in all directions in that area (in most areas of SD County for that matter)...and as far as "rent a room in a house"...realistically, with your animals, I think you're going to have some difficulty finding a place to live. Unless you eventually rent a house yourself and get roommates. Renting wise, SD is generally alot less pet friendly than Colorado. And with 2 Great Danes...
That's what I've heard. I am prepared to pay a higher than normal pet deposit, as well. They are "small" Danes (ha ha) and one is crated when I am not home. The other doesn't leave the couch and/or my bed when I'm gone. Not that any of that will matter to a landlord, but they are both extremely sweet and under 120lbs.

What areas would you say I could go out towards to stay within 20 mins of work with traffic factored in?

Old 08-22-2012, 03:51 PM

I would say Clairemont, but like loveautumn said, you're going to have a hard time finding a place that will accept the dogs. You'll probably have to look a lot further out than you want to, in order find housing. I don't think pet deposits will be a problem, it going to be finding a place that will accept them.

Old 08-23-2012, 09:32 AM

1,665 posts, read 2,974,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amber067 View Post
What areas would you say I could go out towards to stay within 20 mins of work with traffic factored in?
Draw a ten mile radius around where you'll be and that should do the trick.

Old 08-23-2012, 09:37 AM

Did you really research this move before making this decision?

Old 08-23-2012, 12:53 PM

6 posts, read 5,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
Did you really research this move before making this decision?
Because I have 2 Great Danes and I don't know where at in SD the traffic is heavy? Not sure how that is indicative of no research. I know there are challenges but because I chose to adopt two dogs does not mean I cannot ever move, and because I'm not an expert on traffic does not mean I don't know anything about the place. I did not know where I was going to get a job at so hadn't done much research on the traffic yet, other than knowing it can be quite bad in certain areas. And I saw a few people with Danes the last time I was down to visit so I know it's not impossible. But thanks for your helpful suggestions.

Old 08-23-2012, 01:33 PM

The people that you saw with Danes or other large dogs may own their own home, in which case they can have any size dog they want. It's when you have a large dog, and you have two, it's going to a lot harder to find a place. You may have to live a lot farther out, and pay more in rent for what you need.

Old 08-23-2012, 02:11 PM

I re-read your posts and thought my question was reasonable based on the information you gave us, sorry you were offended. You are coming out here in 3 weeks (not much time), sounded like you weren't quite sure of the location where you will be working (I realize you wouldn't want to give out an exact location but traffic can vary from one area closeby to another, whether you are driving north or south, etc), didn't indicate how much rent you could pay, have 3 pets (2 very large dogs), and want a 20 minute commute. It just seemed from your posts that you were very surprised to hear that apt complexes wouldn't take that many large animals and never called around to find out. Or maybe you were intending to rent a house from the beginning, I don't know. Seems to me you have put alot of restrictions on yourself right from the start. Just finding a 20 minute commute is being pretty optimistic. I live 15 miles from where I work, probably close to the area you will be working, and it can take me 35 minutes or it can take me over an hour, depending on traffic. I think you are going to have to change your expectations a bit. But, hey, maybe your financially OK and can rent a house with a big enough yard (again, very rare out here). I hope you have a place to stay before you get here so you have time to do a proper search. I'm sure you will enjoy SD once you get settled and I certainly wish you well!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego