Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2012, 02:29 PM

10,564 posts, read 12,820,368 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleyyo View Post
I made a post on here last night about how the NRA is too powerful and it was deleted. I guess the gun nuts must care more about being able to buy and use military type weapons than the right to free speech on the Internet!
Better get some skill on this internet thing. Don't you know you are supposed to play all sides and let people cherry pick what they like? The NRA is not powerful...it's just that most people are not powerful..and assume that organizations are better and bigger than them...Say something nice about the NRA...and say something positive about those who oppose the NRA - show both sides of the story and let people choose for themselves.

There is no such thing as free speech..there is only interesting speech and boring speech...one will be listened to and one will and one will be ignored. If you have a problem with the NRA and how it is run...maybe you can suggest to them how to improve the organization...? If you want to tear down the temple you had better have something to build up that is at least equal or better..one can not change a system or over throw an institution. The best you can do is tweak it.

The NRA is not evil...they are not bad people...believe it or not- folks will listen to good advice- they welcome it...No one is going to listen to a person who bursts in and declares..I have come to burn down your house unless you tear it down...You have to come in and suggest some needed repairs..

Good example is that I who have nothing and am a no body used to chat with a powerful man of influence...He was happy to take good advice...He was not above learning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2012, 02:35 PM

9,824 posts, read 11,548,625 times
Wild Wild West!

Old 07-24-2012, 02:48 PM

10,564 posts, read 12,820,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitman619 View Post
Wild Wild West!
Silly. Those days never existed..there was never a wild west...let alone a wild wild west. So what's with the 619 ? Run it upside down and it is still 619....?

There was nothing romantic about the wild west..and this incident is more like a war crime..Like shooting prisoners of pop culture then bull dozing them into a ditch...It's more like some mini holocaust. Great shame on the fact that humanity is still stark raving mad.

Old 07-24-2012, 03:08 PM

1,331 posts, read 2,335,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
I heard on the news this morning that more guns were sold this week in Colorado than ever before....guess people have figured out the world isn't all that safe and they need to protect themselves and their families. Seems whenever an event like this takes place, people rush to buy guns not get rid of them.
"hey, I go to the movies". Yes, so what about when the next shooting is on a crowded train? ... or in a mall? People are so reactionary.

I'm not saying ban guns quite frankly I don't care. But take this movie theater shooting, scenario a) the guy has a assault rifle, scenario b) the guy has a hand gun, scenario c) the guy has a knife. Hmmm I think the number of fatalities drops dramatically with each scenario. It takes (at least in my opinion) a hell of a lot more balls to kill someone with a knife than with a gun in a real world situation. Pulling a trigger from a distance is substantially "easier" (mentally that is) then having to be up close and personal stabbing someone.

Again I am not saying ban guns or even keep them legal. But as a counter argument to the "liberal" idea of making guns illegal for the average citizen saying things like "well they'll just kill someone with something else" is plain stupid as killing people with things other than guns generally speaking is far less efficient in terms of the speed of taking a life (or lives) and the amount of. Let's call it courage though that's definitely not the best word for the argument, to do it.

I'm sorry but if everyone legally carried a hand gun, there sure as hell would be A LOT more fatalities when suddenly everyone is the tough guy because he's got a pistol on his waist.

Old 07-24-2012, 04:47 PM

50,288 posts, read 47,043,365 times
Quote:
"hey, I go to the movies". Yes, so what about when the next shooting is on a crowded train? ... or in a mall? People are so reactionary.

I'm not saying ban guns quite frankly I don't care. But take this movie theater shooting, scenario a) the guy has a assault rifle, scenario b) the guy has a hand gun, scenario c) the guy has a knife. Hmmm I think the number of fatalities drops dramatically with each scenario. It takes (at least in my opinion) a hell of a lot more balls to kill someone with a knife than with a gun in a real world situation. Pulling a trigger from a distance is substantially "easier" (mentally that is) then having to be up close and personal stabbing someone.

Again I am not saying ban guns or even keep them legal. But as a counter argument to the "liberal" idea of making guns illegal for the average citizen saying things like "well they'll just kill someone with something else" is plain stupid as killing people with things other than guns generally speaking is far less efficient in terms of the speed of taking a life (or lives) and the amount of. Let's call it courage though that's definitely not the best word for the argument, to do it.

I'm sorry but if everyone legally carried a hand gun, there sure as hell would be A LOT more fatalities when suddenly everyone is the tough guy because he's got a pistol on his waist.
Would you please read this so you don't look like you have any idea what you are talking about?

Assault rifle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This is a cow

This is not a cow

Old 07-24-2012, 05:05 PM

1,790 posts, read 2,926,874 times
Quote:

agreed. then you have the stupid laws like "stand your ground". what i was just reading though said that he could not possibly have acted alone buying $20,000 in gear and guns. he was on unemployment, for pete's sake!

Old 07-24-2012, 05:22 PM

1,331 posts, read 2,335,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5thgenSF View Post
agreed. then you have the stupid laws like "stand your ground". what i was just reading though said that he could not possibly have acted alone buying $20,000 in gear and guns. he was on unemployment, for pete's sake!
The problem is most people dont think. I would rather have concealed carry permits far and few in between rather than every douchebag and soccer mom with a horrible aim popping off random shots whenever anything goes down. Imagine the average person sees someone shooting - they might fire back - but what if the shooter is shooting at someone else who started shooting? no one has uniforms in day to day life. Imagine how easy a bad situation would be made worse.

One of the victims is suing the movie theater and Warner Brothers. I think the movie theater might have a liability but then again, things like this are not supposed to happen at movie theaters. From what I heard, he bought a ticket and then propped open the emergency exit and then went back out, got into his suit and his guns then went back through the emergency exit.

Suing Warner Brothers is ridiculous. You might as well sue every major movie, video game, and television production company. I'm sorry he got shot but that sounds like a money hungry person to me - taking advantage of the situation. It is also protected under the first amendment. It would be considered censoring. This is why movies have ratings.

Movie Studio Liability in Colorado Shooting Likely Limited

Old 07-24-2012, 05:29 PM

Quote:
The problem is most people dont think. I would rather have concealed carry permits far and few in between rather than every douchebag and soccer mom with a horrible aim popping off random shots whenever anything goes down. Imagine the average person sees someone shooting - they might fire back - but what if the shooter is shooting at someone else who started shooting? no one has uniforms in day to day life. Imagine how easy a bad situation would be made worse.

One of the victims is suing the movie theater and Warner Brothers. I think the movie theater might have a liability but then again, things like this are not supposed to happen at movie theaters. From what I heard, he bought a ticket and then propped open the emergency exit and then went back out, got into his suit and his guns then went back through the emergency exit.

Suing Warner Brothers is ridiculous. You might as well sue every major movie, video game, and television production company. I'm sorry he got shot but that sounds like a money hungry person to me - taking advantage of the situation. It is also protected under the first amendment. It would be considered censoring. This is why movies have ratings.

Movie Studio Liability in Colorado Shooting Likely Limited
i read the same thing you did about how he went about it. personally, i just don't like guns. i live alone and the times my house has been burglarized, if i had a gun it just would have been stolen along with everything else. even a day or two ago i read about a woman getting shot because she hugged a cop (the gun went off by mistake). and with some of the cops i've known, they were the scariest people of all to have a weapon. not usually into conspiracy theories and with what i've read, the UK has some pretty strange ideas of what goes on here and why. but it surely makes sense to me that he couldn't have done this all alone.

Colorado Batman shooting shows obvious signs of being staged

Last edited by 5thgenSF; 07-24-2012 at 05:46 PM..

Old 07-24-2012, 07:48 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
Gun laws will absolutely not work. All that would do is move weapons to the black market where they would be as easily purchased as meth and pot are. In fact the same people bringing tons of meth and pot over the border would just add guns and ammunition and the same street dealers would supply weapons -- and you wouldn't even have to fill out forms like you do now.

Prohibition will not work -- ask Mexico where guns out illegal but any 13 year old criminal can easily get ahold of one.

Old 07-24-2012, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Gun laws will absolutely not work. All that would do is move weapons to the black market where they would be as easily purchased as meth and pot are. In fact the same people bringing tons of meth and pot over the border would just add guns and ammunition and the same street dealers would supply weapons -- and you wouldn't even have to fill out forms like you do now.
works for me. just yesterday read the story of the cop that killed his son thinking he was an intruder. this second amendment crap was written for an era that no longer exists.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego