Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2012, 11:59 AM

2 posts, read 5,689 times

Advertisements

4707 Castana St- a bit north of Imperial off 47th

4707 Castana St, San Diego, CA 92102 | MLS# 120038036

Looking to put an offer in on the home linked above. If you have any input on the neighborhood, I'd love to hear it. I know the area isn't the greatest, but the price works for us. A little background- it will be me and my GF and a young puppy...both white, mid-20s, work full-time. Everybody I know that lives in the area says we'll stick out like a sore thumb, so I'm wondering if that will be an issue. We have both lived in sketchier neighborhoods before, so we can deal with what most of that entails. It's the gangs and crime that could come with it that make me skeptical. Again, any input would be appreciated. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2012, 12:22 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,270,747 times
47th St is pretty busy generally.

Have you guys been in the house or is just from searching online? Areas like this, are just so hit and miss and can vary in 2 block segments where its night and day. So it really comes down to scoping the neighboring streets etc. How does your wife feel about it? If there is one thing I learned in buying a house for the first time...everyone has an opinion lol. Its not a bad thing necessarily, but a house is really personal and what may bother someone else would not even be on the radar for you.

Just curious aside from budget, what is it that is compelling you to buy that particular house. It looks like it was flipped ok. Yeah the 'hoods' here are pretty tame by comparison to many other places I have been before. Still some caution has to be taken into consideration.

Old 08-03-2012, 02:12 PM

2 posts, read 5,689 times
We have been in the home and it's pretty nice for the $$$. It seems like a pretty quiet street, with some newer construction in the vicinity. Do you see that area improving at all? When we were there it seemed like there was a heavy police presence and not much foot traffic; it feels pretty safe, just isn't the prettiest.

Old 08-03-2012, 02:31 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,270,747 times
The area is improving from the way it was in the 90s. The Market Street Village on Euclid is a prime example of the more positive change in that community. While you might not see huge changes in the next 5 years at the same pace as say, downtown, the community will see improvements.

Just know that this is generally a bedroom community, so you wont see many people walking around per se. It is also under heavily surveillance which is actually a good thing.

Here is my point about crime. I just looked up the specific address and ranged it really quickly between Feb an now. That street had 0 crime and the neighboring street had some drug or alcohol violations in all of 6 months.
CrimeMapping.com - National Map

If its just the two of you and a dog, then you should be fine. Its likely you might not have any block parties, but should be ok so long as you take the necessary precautions. Areas like this need people to move in that can afford to live there and are actually owning. This is how neighborhoods like this change.

Will you make a profit of 500k from it? Probably not. But as a place to set up shop and own in San Diego, it might be a good place to start. Just know the potential risks without getting too caught up in the excitement of buying a house. Try to keep a level head about it and REALLY see if it makes sense for you guys.

Old 08-03-2012, 03:47 PM

9,820 posts, read 11,536,738 times
I'm Not to fascinated about a corner lot!
For the price DO IT!
Property sold for $401,000 in march of 2006
That house in that area is not going to appreciate much,but it will be home

Old 08-03-2012, 08:44 PM

1,471 posts, read 3,338,543 times
I think you might be in the minority, but I don't think you will "stick out like a sore thumb". I do some work in the area and no one looks twice at me. And believe me I have been in some cities where I get some strange looks in certain areas.
Other thoughts, plus and minus:
Nice place, and cheaper than renting a place that size.
Centrally located, good public transport access.
Not likely to appreciate much any time soon, so buy it to stay, and because you really like it..not thinking of upgrading in a few years.
I dont think of it as unsafe, but be objective look at the crime stats SG posted see what you think. Everyone has different thresholds.
Embrace what's around you, there are some great ethnic restaurants and markets not far away.

Old 08-04-2012, 10:05 PM

1,665 posts, read 2,974,193 times
There is going to be a gang presence in pretty much all of Southeast San Diego. Hell, some gang territories get a whole hell of a lot closer to the central business district than you'd think. I saw a map where the West Coast Crrips got to around 16th.

Having said that, if you think about it, gangs are a business. Killing people not in gangs tends to draw heavy police attention, and that means they can't do the prostitution and drug dealing that generates money for them.

I'm not saying they won't kill others. Just that it's bad for their main business.

Old 08-04-2012, 10:21 PM

9,820 posts, read 11,536,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyinsd View Post
There is going to be a gang presence in pretty much all of Southeast San Diego. Hell, some gang territories get a whole hell of a lot closer to the central business district than you'd think. I saw a map where the West Coast Crrips got to around 16th.
WhaT!
16th street and 47th street are miles apart
Although i do see gentrification coming to this area eventually it many years away!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego