Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2012, 10:48 PM

5,706 posts, read 9,627,998 times

Advertisements

Last year the Poway Unified School District made a deal: It borrowed $105 million from investors to fund a final push in its decade-long effort to revamp aging schools.

Where Borrowing $105 Million Will Cost $1 Billion: Poway Schools - Voice of San Diego: Education

They could've gotten a better deal from the Gambino Family.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2012, 09:21 AM

2,698 posts, read 12,169,913 times
I'd be more angry if this was the first time I've seen large social financial decisions made by older generations with such reckless judgment (especially when it means my generation and the ones behind me will be left with the bill), but it's not so I'm not. Guess it's time to pump out the kids, push 'em through PUSD, and get out of Dodge. Thankfully, given the 20 years I have until the bill comes up, it's do-able.

Mike

Old 08-07-2012, 12:51 PM

9,821 posts, read 11,540,655 times
WoW!
Poway school district throwing away money.
San Diego unified about to be taken over By the state.
Not a good time for some of the school districts right now!

Old 08-07-2012, 01:58 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,272,081 times
Not sure how the community feels about it, but that is poor governing. At least how it was portrayed and their attitude about it.

Considering Poway has easily one of the most reputable districts around, it would appear they are hedging their future growth around that.

Schools are big business so it would make sense from that perspective but the deal itself sounded awful.

Old 08-07-2012, 02:05 PM

6,420 posts, read 11,592,513 times
I wonder if the citizens of Poway had a chance to vote on this. If they did and are now upset about it, then they need to consider the future when they vote. If they didn't then I'd also probably be thinking about getting away from the area that's going to be having high taxes are lower municipal service to pay this back. I wonder if they haven't just shot themselves in the foot!

Old 08-07-2012, 02:24 PM

5,706 posts, read 9,627,998 times
So they're not going to pay one dime against this loan for 20 years. A loan being used to revamp aging schools.

Well, by the time they make their first payment the schools will once again be aging and in need of revamping.

What a mess.

Old 08-07-2012, 02:38 PM

9,821 posts, read 11,540,655 times
Will Poway unified become a newer version of San Diego unified in 20 years?
My guess is that people will start unloading their houses at about the 18 year mark to avoid paying taxes.

Old 08-07-2012, 04:26 PM

2,698 posts, read 12,169,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oddstray View Post
I wonder if the citizens of Poway had a chance to vote on this. If they did and are now upset about it, then they need to consider the future when they vote. If they didn't then I'd also probably be thinking about getting away from the area that's going to be having high taxes are lower municipal service to pay this back. I wonder if they haven't just shot themselves in the foot!
Article is very in-depth. Short version: yes, we voted, but the real details were conveniently left out. But, in reality, when they offered this super new deal and promised to do it all without raising taxes, someone should've raised a hand and said 'uhm, how?'

Mike

Old 08-07-2012, 04:46 PM

6,420 posts, read 11,592,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboyslo View Post
Article is very in-depth. Short version: yes, we voted, but the real details were conveniently left out. But, in reality, when they offered this super new deal and promised to do it all without raising taxes, someone should've raised a hand and said 'uhm, how?'

Mike
It's almost a political certainty that the real details of what you're voting on are conveniently left out. On every issue. Unless there is a deep debate on an issue, it's probably a good idea for any voter to play devil's advocate on *everything*.

And yeah, if it sounds to good to be true, it either isn't true or it isn't good.

Old 08-07-2012, 05:16 PM

148 posts, read 279,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oddstray View Post
It's almost a political certainty that the real details of what you're voting on are conveniently left out. On every issue. Unless there is a deep debate on an issue, it's probably a good idea for any voter to play devil's advocate on *everything*.

And yeah, if it sounds to good to be true, it either isn't true or it isn't good.
+10000000000

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego