Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2012, 11:17 AM

1 posts, read 7,021 times

Advertisements

Greetings All,

I will be looking at Oceanside and surrounding areas as part of a job interview in the near future. The job is located in Oceanside. We will likely be able to afford approximately $450-$550K home. We are looking for the following attributes in our area of residence:

Very low crime
Privacy
Decent Shools
Half hour commute or less
Good weather, not to hot, etc.

Are there areas or cities that we should focus on or avoid?

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2012, 01:00 PM

122 posts, read 192,210 times
Carlsbad, Fallbrook,Vista, Bonsall and of course, Oceanside all are within no more of a half an hour or less commute.....it just will depend on the type of lifestyle you enjoy and if you prefer more of a subdivision community or more rural feel. None of these areas will be as hot as Tucson but Fallbrook and Bonsall have a bit hotter temps than the others. Your price range is easily doable although our market is fairly low on inventory at the moment.....will just depend on what your specifics are as far as bedroom #, etc. Take a look at the public section of Sandicor MLS....pretty informative on areas, schools, etc.....this might help you get a better feel for the areas.

Old 08-13-2012, 05:17 PM

384 posts, read 976,371 times
There's a small part of Oceanside that is in the Carlsbad school district. I saw one home for sale in that neighborhood to give you an example: 4028 Vista Calaveras St, Oceanside, CA 92056 | MLS# 120040168 . But with your budget, I'd bet you'd be able to live in Carlsbad itself. Otherwise, San Marcos does have good schools, too, but it's hotter than Carlsbad.

Old 08-13-2012, 06:13 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,806,967 times
I'd vote for Carlsbad....good family area, close to ocean, great weather, nice small downtown, pretty low crime areaj, lots of shopping closeby. Oceanside has some gang issues, lots of young military (nothing wrong with that but just for information purposes). I think Carlsbad has a pretty good range of home prices.

Old 08-13-2012, 09:02 PM

70 posts, read 233,124 times
I was born and raised in O'side.... my vote would be Carlsbad. Much better schools, and less gang problems.

Old 08-14-2012, 02:35 AM

204 posts, read 638,595 times
With that budget, I would consider Carlsbad and see if you can get into Encinitas as well. San Marcos does have some nice schools but it can get a little hot. In Vista, check out Shadowridge. You can likely afford a home with a view in that area and the schools are decent. The weather is very mild as it's only 5 miles or so from the ocean. The houses are a little close to each other, though, so I don't know if that's a consideration.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego