Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-04-2007, 06:57 PM

1 posts, read 4,020 times

Advertisements

So we're moving from out of town, verrrry close to Balboa Park, on 29th near Upas. It's mainly a residential area (I think), but bordered by 30th, which I understand to be one of the busy streets.

Any thoughts? Is it safe? Loud? Fun?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2007, 07:37 PM

9,526 posts, read 30,477,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heyyou! View Post
So we're moving from out of town, verrrry close to Balboa Park, on 29th near Upas. It's mainly a residential area (I think), but bordered by 30th, which I understand to be one of the busy streets.

Any thoughts? Is it safe? Loud? Fun?
I lived on 29th and Dwight for a couple of years, just a few blocks up.

It's a great area, very urban, but mostly well-kept historic homes. The corner of 30th and Upas has really improved in the past 3 years and there are several nice restaurants and bars there now. There is also a ghetto Jack in the box and liquor store. :-)

There is a bit of a wandering crackhead factor... you will see them around on 30th. I never had any problems. Also lots of traffic and cars, that means typical city auto problems like horns, sirens, speeders, etc. I am sensitive to that stuff so I never live directly on a main street.

I love the area (Morley Field) and would have loved to buy a house a bit more away from 30th, but it's very expensive over there.

Old 10-04-2007, 07:57 PM

4,539 posts, read 12,404,526 times
To my eye, 29th and Upas is a typical urban neighborhood, that is hip and funky and kind of cool without being the current and maddening "IN" place. You can tell people you're so cool you're beyond living in the typical cool place and wanted to live someplace funkier, hipper, and cooler.

With Morley Field nearby you'll have easy access to the Frisbee Golf course, and the regular city golf course further south in Balboa Park. Plus, to your NE, you'll be able to check out the local artisans that populate Ray street. (Haven't been there myself, but I keep reading about it).

The craftsman architecture is beautiful. Not all of it remains, but much of it does. Sometimes I'm sorry I passed on the opportunity to buy into this interesting, walkable neighborhood of attractive residential architecture with small businesses on a main street (30th).

The downside is of course the noise issue on 30th, but that is the price of the excitement of urban living. Safety is reasonable. Of course occasionally something happens, but that is mostly to people who were up to no good to begin with.

So, as you can see I'm just ratifying everything Sassberto said.

Old 10-07-2007, 09:29 AM

5,291 posts, read 12,739,493 times
As usual, Sassberto and KP are dead on in their descriptions of the area. The only thing I can add is that you will be around the corner from North Park's hip and burgeoning mini-Restaurant Row.

The Commonweath Cafe (Opened recently) The Commonwealth Cafe

The Linkery Linkery from the Linkery Restaurant: Real Food, Fine Wines, and Craft Beer in San Diego, California USA. (broken link)

Alexander's Italian Alexander's - SignOnSanDiego Entertainment Guide (http://entertainment.signonsandiego.com/places/alexanders/ - broken link)

Mosaic Wine Bar (Opening Soon) home m

Lefty's Chicago Style Pizza Lefty's Chicago Pizzeria, North Park

Bluefoot Bar & Lounge ::::::bluefoot bar and lounge:::::

Urban Solace Urban Solace Restaurant, San Diego California, New American Comfort Food

Zensei Sushi Zensei Sushi - SignOnSanDiego Entertainment Guide (http://entertainment.signonsandiego.com/places/zensei-sushi/ - broken link)

Last edited by sdurbanite; 10-07-2007 at 09:59 AM..

Old 10-07-2007, 08:35 PM

169 posts, read 859,342 times
very nice spot, lots of cool lil restaurants over there too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
View detailed profiles of: