Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-25-2012, 10:17 AM

353 posts, read 814,394 times

Advertisements

I`v always wanted to live in SD just have no family there,friends or connections.....and it always seemed impossible due to how expensive it is not only SD but all of California ,I don't get how some of u do it...pay the rents u do or the home mortgages u have....so can anyone help a person out?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2012, 11:14 AM

100 posts, read 428,103 times
Well, the obvious route is to save money, go to school/get trained in a well paying profession, and then start applying for jobs/get a job where you can transfer to San Diego. It's not the fast route though. Something like half the city is making less than 50k, which isn't exactly stratospheric.

Old 08-25-2012, 01:10 PM

5,024 posts, read 7,575,311 times
Marry for money!

Old 08-25-2012, 02:11 PM

Marry who?

Old 08-25-2012, 02:42 PM

316 posts, read 666,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outofthematrix View Post
Marry who?
Someone who has money!

Old 08-25-2012, 05:22 PM

I'm a guy and I'm not that lucky....

Old 08-25-2012, 08:47 PM

4,498 posts, read 9,384,106 times
Outofthematrix,

I know your post was probably half joking but I'm not sure as I see you posted almost the same post in other cities besides San Diego.

The thing is that many people have this misconceived notion sometimes about people that live in Southern California. They think everyone has tons of money and living the high life.

You're going to find that people are here the same way they are in most other cities. Lots of hard work and sacrifice, dedication to our professions and to our family and our jobs.

Many people live here in San Diego and ironically don't have too much time even to go to the beach because they are working so much to afford the lifestyle here.

It's not all rainbows and unicorns here in San Diego like some people think it is. The reality is that the vast majority of people in the USA probably can't comfortably afford the lifestyle here when you factor in housing costs.

Also, as other people mentioned before, it's not really a matter of San Diego having such a higher cost of living vs. other places. Besides the housing expense, it's not too much more than other major metropolitan cities.

Old 08-25-2012, 08:53 PM

5,390 posts, read 9,693,411 times
ummm, here's an idea--

why not just save ur money and move out there like everyone else. What's so special about u that anyone would just feel like helping you out?... because u probably have this crazy idea in ur head that you'll move to san diego--everything will be all rainbows and sunshine and you'll live in a cute little ginger bread house on the hill, overlooking the ocean, watching the sunset everyday.

puh-lease, hunni.

Old 08-25-2012, 11:28 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,274,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earlyretirement View Post
Outofthematrix,

I know your post was probably half joking but I'm not sure as I see you posted almost the same post in other cities besides San Diego.

The thing is that many people have this misconceived notion sometimes about people that live in Southern California. They think everyone has tons of money and living the high life.

You're going to find that people are here the same way they are in most other cities. Lots of hard work and sacrifice, dedication to our professions and to our family and our jobs.

Many people live here in San Diego and ironically don't have too much time even to go to the beach because they are working so much to afford the lifestyle here.

It's not all rainbows and unicorns here in San Diego like some people think it is. The reality is that the vast majority of people in the USA probably can't comfortably afford the lifestyle here when you factor in housing costs.

Also, as other people mentioned before, it's not really a matter of San Diego having such a higher cost of living vs. other places. Besides the housing expense, it's not too much more than other major metropolitan cities.
Great post as always earlyretirement
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego